• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
100% right, as usual. I'd *like* to think the kind of Alt-Right 'Gamer' crowd who typically swallow Trump's shit would be a bit turned off by this new attack on their hobby/lifestyle, but I'm sure by now they've explained it away somehow.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
100% right, as usual. I'd *like* to think the kind of Alt-Right 'Gamer' crowd who typically swallow Trump's shit would be a bit turned off by this new attack on their hobby/lifestyle, but I'm sure by now they've explained it away somehow.

They're too busy attacking h3h3 for calling for gun control.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I wonder how effective is the whole video games are to blame for violence arguments these days. Way more people play games today than in the 90s, I would suspect the politicians and pundits would lean more on mental health issues to deflect form the obvious gun problem.

Then again, the writer of Spec ops: The line said this

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
This type of stuff always makes me so mad. I'm sorry for people in America that have to live in fear because of a government that's too stubborn to ban guns.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This type of stuff always makes me so mad. I'm sorry for people in America that have to live in fear because of a government that's too stubborn to ban guns.

Banning guns will never happen. We're talking about gun regulations here. That's what's insane. Basic reforms are tied up in garbage because of the right wing in America being obsessed with NRA money. Money in politics is the root of most of our issues

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all this at the forefront, Modern Warfare's campaign is about to cause a fire storm

Anyway good shit from Jim.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Banning guns will never happen. We're talking about gun regulations here. That's what's insane. Basic reforms are tied up in garbage because of the right wing in America being obsessed with NRA money. Money in politics is the root of most of our issues

Exactly.
Also, dont think banning is the solution. Whoever wants a gun that bad can get one

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Do both at the same time.

Exactly.
Also, dont think banning is the solution. Whoever wants a gun that bad can get one

Laws aren't to stop 100% of crimes.

Like, theres a reason we have red lights. Buh buh someone will run one! This applies to all laws since ancient society. You haave them to reduce the likelihood, and penalties for breaking them.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Exactly.

I'm sure in certain circumstances, that is the case...but atleast a large percentage of gun violence will be curbed with basic reforms that pretty much a majority of people agree on and that's the point. No magic bullets exist, but minimizing the US's problem has always been the goal.

If 5 people commit gun violence in some fashion every hour in a variety of circumstances, if you can nail that down to 4, or 3, or even 2...who wouldn't do that if they had the power to enact social change in that fashion? Just because it doesnt stop every type of gun crime is irrelevant. The NRA and the right wing drowning in corruption, is the only obstacle. We're lucky most dems dont take NRA money, its most other institutional corrupt enterprise we have to worry about from both parties. Guns arent it.

AnthonyUK

Nov 6, 2017
Exactly.

daily_sun_School_shootings_since_2009_picture.jpg

Guess which countries have bans on guns and which doesnt.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Do both at the same time.

I agree. We should ban high capacity magazines, rifles and institute a buyback program for those and semi automatics as well.

I was referring to guns in general. We will never get rid of all guns, and i dont think we should honestly. Pistols for self protection should be viable with proper safety standards and training required, as every other license dictates.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I agree. We should ban high capacity magazines, rifles and institute a buyback program for those and semi automatics as well.

I was referring to guns in general. We will never get rid of all guns, and i dont think we should honestly. Pistols for self protection should be viable with proper safety standards and training required, as every other license dictates.

Yep. Ban 99% of the guns. monitor the fuck out of the rest of them and strict licenses/checkups/education. Hefty penalties/fines for crimes near guns.. all that jazz. This would have to be a Herculean effort which includes fixes at the justice department too.

First step is defeating fascism though, so that any of this can be a conversation. Until then, white supremacist aren't going to budge.. err I mead the republican party.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jim is also correct that being able to rally the troops is an easy way for the gaming industry to deflect from their own problems as well.

This will get people to rally for the industry, and distract from issues like game developer unionization being an actual thing that has been advocated for by Presidential candidates like B Sanders(an actual first in history)

and certain right wing gaming grifters(looking at you The Quartering) trying to rally against it.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Jim is also correct that being able to rally the troops is an easy way for the gaming industry to deflect from their own problems as well.

This will get people to rally for the industry, and distract from issues like game developer unionization being an actual thing that has been advocated for and certain right wing gaming grifters(looking at you The Quartering) trying to rally against it.
Yeah, I'm sure the ESA is thrilled to have something that will get people to band together with them right now.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yep. Ban 99% of the guns. monitor the fuck out of the rest of them and strict licenses/checkups/education. Hefty penalties/fines for crimes near guns.. all that jazz. This would have to be a Herculean effort which includes fixes at the justice department too.

First step is defeating fascism though, so that any of this can be a conversation. Until then, white supremacist aren't going to budge.. err I mead the republican party.

Isnt all that apart of the process of defeating fascism? lol. In additon. its hard to imagine any of this without criminal justistice reform and the demilitarization of our police forces as well....

this is why its such a huge seemingly insurmountable task, because many of our issues feed into each other and have many of the same sponsors.

Last edited:

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Guns dont kill people. People (with guns) kill people.

What does this phrase even mean? lol
Guns are made for people. Unless we are talking about AI using guns, guns and people are always tied. One does not function without the other.

We have two choices, ban people or ban guns.
I guess banning people isn't viable.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Exactly.

What do you mean by "whoever wants a gun that bad can get one?". If the country regulates the sales of guns and hopefully bans it will be extremely hard to get a gun. By your logic, the government should leave guns on every porch because people will buy one anyway.

Also yeah, guns are not the only tool that kills people. But they make it pretty damn easy to do so.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Restrictions are different from bans.
Exactly. I'm beginning to think people don't know the difference, because I can't think of many countries that have an outright ban on guns and instead just have them highly regulated. Japan is that way, you have to go through a lot of hassle to even be considered to be allowed one and they have rules on which you can have and when. It also doesn't stop violence in the country.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
To paraphrase Littlefinger,

"You know what you to do. You know what has to be done. But it takes away your gun fetish, so the words stick in your throat."

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
His final words rang so true with me. I'm so frustrated, disgusted, and ashamed of this country's so-called leadership and unwillingness to do or try anything. And I'm afraid we're in for another four years of this current shitshow. I don't believe that things would change that much in terms of laws and regulations (not that quickly anyway), but at least the tone from the top would be immediately different, one that I can only assume and hope would be more unifying and less hateful.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
One thing that should not be possible yet for some reason is is for civilians to be able to purchase military-grade weaponry. There's no good reason for someone to own a fucking assault rifle and "it's not really an assault rifle, it's missing a couple of parts (that civilians can buy separately anyway) so it's all good" is not a fucking excuse. Unless your house is getting raided by zombies on a regular basis you don't need a gun like that, and you sure as hell don't need one for hunting.

Keep that kind of crap out of stores. That's step #1.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Sure has nothing to do with a president that instills hatred towards immigrants and minorities, or the fact that any person with psychopathic tendencies can get a gun as easy as getting McDonald's.

Nope, let's blame video games.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate Jim commenting on this but the folks who bring this BS over and over again cannot be reasoned with. They do this to divert attention from the real root causes and the folks who support them just follow like lemmings.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling makes a good point here. The games industry doesn't really need to be massively defended from such a transparently poor attack and there are more important issues needing to be addressed.

The U.S. does need better gun regulations. That said, blanket bans have exactly zero chance of happening in 2019.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had time to watch the video and making video games into a scapegoat for mass shootings is disgusting, we should however not ignore how media can influence people, be it videogames, movies, tv, music or books.

While I think this years Modern Warfare looks absolutely amazing, it's hard not getting a feeling that the fidelity of interactive experiences are reaching a point where they look like actual recordings of gruesome violence and we don't know if increased realism could affect certain people in a negative way.

Then again, some people believed the rock and roll of Elvis would turn people into non-christian deviants, so it might be a non-issue in terms of perception vs actual impact.

Mental illnesses should be treated better and more research should be done into how media could be an influence on everyone, negative psychological impact doesn't equal everyone becoming a mass shooter.

But it doesn't escape the elephant in the room, American gun laws. America has a fucked up relationship with guns and the government is straight up broken since lobbying organizations can just pay their way to sway any kind of legislation.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Jim absolutely goes onto the the industry itself despite the subject. Amazing and honestly a well made point.W Well done Jim, here's to you!

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how effective is the whole video games are to blame for violence arguments these days. Way more people play games today than in the 90s, I would suspect the politicians and pundits would lean more on mental health issues to deflect form the obvious gun problem.

Then again, the writer of Spec ops: The line said this

I mean, he's right

Exactly.
Amazing
Simply amazing

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is more difficult in the short-term to effect cultural change than it is to remove access to weapons that can deal a tremendous amount of harm. A mass knife stabbing has a lower chance of overall mortality than guns, even if done by the same person.

Part of the reason people are attempting to veer the discussion to video games or mental illness is because those are problems that are less obvious to deal with than getting deadly weapons out of peoples' hands. It doesn't matter how 'right' they are because the function of that argument is to distract, similar to how Chicago gun violence is only brought up by conservatives as an attempted rebuttal.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jim is absolutely 100% right on this. And it's maddening to see that it actually works. Americans absolutely are getting distracted by the violent video game discussion again and again and again.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Dang. Got a lot of replies. To further clarify, i am talking real world here, Not ideal/ utopian. If it was up to me (and many others) i would go as far as to stop selling guns...hell, Even manufacturing them. But i think we all know guns will never be completely banned. Best case realistically would be to only allow small firearms or hunting rifles.
A normal solution (not best case obviously) given how things are currently should be more in depth background checks, longer Waiting time and no more high capacity or assault rifles.

PS. Almost forgot. And limit how many guns a person can buy. And maybe Raise it every few years or So if the person doesnt do anything ilegal or whatever during that period