• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Disagree. You cannot say what is and isn't souls I'm afraid. It feels very soulsy. The world is interconnected, there are bonfire esque checkpoints, the combat is soulsy. You die and can go collect your guilt from where you died. It is very much a 2d souls like game.
I address literally all of that in the other thread (interconnected worlds aren't inherent to Souls-likes, that would exclude Demon's Souls and include Metroid or Wonder Boy in Monster World, and bonfires/estus is also absent from Demon's Souls), but the combat isn't even Soulsy at all. There isn't even stamina or blocking, FFS. If Blasphemous is a Souls-like then the word has lost all meaning.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I address literally all of that in the other thread (interconnected worlds aren't inherent to Souls-likes, that would exclude Demon's Souls and include Metroid or Wonder Boy in Monster World, and bonfires/estus is also absent from Demon's Souls), but the combat isn't even Soulsy at all. There isn't even stamina or blocking, FFS. If Blasphemous is a Souls-like then the word has lost all meaning.

Well you are definitely in the minority there mate. Me and almost everyone else get souls vibes from it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I just looked up how to unlock the final Mea Culpa skill and uhhhhh

Is it worth it? Cause I'm about to say "fuck this noise" and just finish the game (pretty sure I'm very close, just beat Crisanta). I finished the rosary and maxed out the potions (based on achievements). Think I'm missing a relic, a prayer, and a mea culpa heart, though, didn't get any achievement relating to those.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I just looked up how to unlock the final Mea Culpa skill and uhhhhh

Is it worth it? Cause I'm about to say "fuck this noise" and just finish the game (pretty sure I'm very close, just beat Crisanta). I finished the rosary and maxed out the potions (based on achievements). Think I'm missing a relic, a prayer, and a mea culpa heart, though, didn't get any achievement relating to those.
Nah, just go finish up the final boss.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo of this yesterday and really enjoyed what I played, just based on the demo I would probably give it a 8.5 - 9

do some in here agree with me? Why were some reviews so down on it giving 6s and 7s?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I tried the demo of this yesterday and really enjoyed what I played, just based on the demo I would probably give it a 8.5 - 9

do some in here agree with me? Why were some reviews so down on it giving 6s and 7s?

6s and 7s is hardly bad dude. It's like some people loved it and some thought it was just alright.. because people have different opinions.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
What were somethings that people didn't like about it in simple form
I liked the game but other than the visuals and animations, it doesn't really stand out much. It's competently made, but nothing that really makes you go "holy shit this is great".

Here's my Steam review if you want detailed impressions.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Started this a few days ago and have been enjoying myself a lot. I do have a question though...have they nerfed bosses since release? I was watching some youtube videos of people that are competent having a lot of trouble with the two boss fights below. I was somehow able to get through them on my first try. The only fight so far that took me more than once was the
Brother and Sister Fight. The double teaming near the end was tough to read at first.

I know I don't suck at these types of games because I was able to beat Hollow Knight with all bosses including Radiance, but these fights seemed too easy to be just a case of me getting lucky, which is why I'm wondering if some nerfs have been put in place. So far the balancing has been just right for me.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
So I played the demo on Switch and...well it didn't grab me, the sprite work is excellent, (the world isn't my cup of tea but that's ok), is it a metroid-like experience or more of a "dungeon-crawler"? Feels like the latter which would be a complete turn off. How many power-ups is there in the game to access new areas? Is it like that at all?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
So I played the demo on Switch and...well it didn't grab me, the sprite work is excellent, (the world isn't my cup of tea but that's ok), is it a metroid-like experience or more of a "dungeon-crawler"? Feels like the latter which would be a complete turn off. How many power-ups is there in the game to access new areas? Is it like that at all?
It's a pure Metroidvania, not a dungeon crawler at all. There are some traversal abilities, though most of the time when you unlock another area, it'll be by defeating like, bosses in other areas (in the order you want) and so on.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
It's a pure Metroidvania, not a dungeon crawler at all. There are some traversal abilities, though most of the time when you unlock another area, it'll be by defeating like, bosses in other areas (in the order you want) and so on.

Ok so the different areas are gated by bosses and not abilities. I'm under the impression your traversal options never increase much.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Finally got around to playing this, nearly at the end, just doing a 100% sweep. Enjoying it for the most part, decent challenge, some pretty solid music, interesting style, rosary beads have that hollow knight badge feel.
On the other hand; the mea culpa hearts are useless, boss RNG is just bad and regular enemies do get a bit boring but I can live with that.
What I can't be dealing with are the f*cking spikes, insta-killing gobsh*tes, those spikes can f*ck all the f*cking way right the f*ck off, I've died so many more times to the level design than during fights it's a joke!
Also the relic system is stupid, there's no reason to not just have them on at all times, having to swap them is just a waste of time and for the love of god is a double jump to much to ask for?!

Damn I came here to be positive and I think I got a bit carried away...

*Edit - Finished it, beat the final boss on the second try, the RNG was awful, there was almost no skill involved in beating him in the end.
Here's hoping the DLC leaves a better taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I played and finished this over the last 2 days and I gotta say this was a very solid game. The atmosphere was great (the music really helped in that regard) the controls were tight and it had a decent challenge, but nothing outlandish so anyone should be able to finish it without too much trouble. I liked the actual pixel-graphics, most indie games have a very generic style, but this was great.

The new abilities you get weren't that great though. I don't think there was one ability that really changed the way you play, it was more Lego style than anything else (simply having the right ability with you means progress instead of using actual skill to progress). Also the secrets weren't great, but other that I thought it was a very solid game, definitely recommended to Metroidvania fans.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
*Edit - Finished it, beat the final boss on the second try, the RNG was awful, there was almost no skill involved in beating him in the end. Here's hoping the DLC leaves a better taste in my mouth.
Myeah, some of the bosses aren't the most well-designed, including the final boss.
First time I fought him, I breezed through his second phase, to my disappointment. Then I refought him for the true ending and he kept kicking my ass. Nothing but his hardest to avoid attacks and the ice platforms never spawned so I could get in decent damage.

At first I thought that if you're not set for the true ending, you fight a gimped version and this was the real deal. But no, last time I fought him, he was even easier that that first fight. Everything went my way and I roflstomped him in maybe a minute.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I grabbed this off an Era member and yeah, it's decent. I'm about 40% done and I'd give it a solid 7/10, maybe 8/10.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up on sale and LOVING IT.
Quick question: is there any sort of penalty for saying yes to the woman who helps you during boss fights?

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Picked this up on sale and LOVING IT.
Quick question: is there any sort of penalty for saying yes to the woman who helps you during boss fights?

None. She is an helper during the boss fight, it's made so you can choose your own difficulty. And it can be very useful at the beginning!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just noticed that the physical release at Best Buy sold out at some point in the last few weeks, fuck.

Now debating if I want to pay the $55 asking price on eBay to get a copy shipped my way.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
You really want the physical edition? You could buy it for 19$ online.

To my knowledge it was only released through Limited Run for $34.99, which in turn was available at Best Buy for the same price.

Looks like the Best Buy release is currently sold out though. I've been trying to scoop up the LRG games that BB offers but it looks like this was the first one that got away.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished The Last Door from the same developer and absolutely loved it

Made me feel like giving Blasphemous another shot, since I got probably more than halfway through that back in January. right now I'm just pondering whether I should start over or continue my save.

I hear there was a major patch that tweaked the platforming which is good to hear.

PS: please buy The Last Door if you have even the most remote of interests in Lovecraftian (with a healthy dash of Poe) horror or point-and-click adventure games.

May 3, 2020
Germany
Is the update out yet ?
Got it on Switch (EU).

I bought it day one on Switch, played for round about five hours, loved it, but heard from an upcoming patch (aiming controls/"momentum") and stopped playing.

For a few months I have totally forgotten this game and wanted to start playing again a month ago, but I saw, that the had announced another patch (which was released today), so I haven't started playing again.

Now finally, the big day is here, and I am absolutely shocked, that they didn't fix the ladders one year after the release! This is a huge dealbreaker!

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Got it on Switch (EU).

I bought it day one on Switch, played for round about five hours, loved it, but heard from an upcoming patch (aiming controls/"momentum") and stopped playing.

For a few months I have totally forgotten this game and wanted to start playing again a month ago, but I saw, that the had announced another patch (which was released today), so I haven't started playing again.

Now finally, the big day is here, and I am absolutely shocked, that they didn't fix the ladders one year after the release! This is a huge dealbreaker!

if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is wrong with the ladders? I've been playing in the days leading up to today's patch and have not experienced issues. in fact I was under the impression that stuff had already been addressed in a 2019 patch.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I saw that this game has a huge update, it's on sale, it always looked cool..... My one question: Do you have to go pick up dropped resources when you die? I've grown to despise that shit being crammed into games willy nilly.

Even the mighty Hollow Knight wore out it's welcome there.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I saw that this game has a huge update, it's on sale, it always looked cool..... My one question: Do you have to go pick up dropped resources when you die? I've grown to despise that shit being crammed into games willy nilly.

Even the mighty Hollow Knight wore out it's welcome there.
No, you keep your "souls" equivalent. Only your magic bar gets shorter with each death if you don't retrieve your previous body, but there are shrines all over the world where you can restore it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So I started new game plus and took the fervour penitence and I'm getting absolutely wrecked by the boss in the very next room lol. Anyone else been playing?

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is widely discussed on the internet, but I think, that it works for me now. First I was shocked, died about thirty times, jumping from ladder to ladder. Everyone should play this with the d-pad, obviously. 😉 Anyway, probably my next 10/10, we will see, I am just about 5 hours in again.

since you mentioned the problem being widely discussed online, I just did a bit of research and found an old Reddit post complaining that you had to press UP to grab ladders, which would make using the analog stick a risky proposition because you'd need to have it positioned exactly straight up.

I've been playing the game a lot for the past week using the analog stick only and haven't had trouble grabbing and holding onto ladders so I suspect a patch may have improved upon that aspect at some point in the past. that being said, I cannot find any confirmation when skimming through patch notes, only that they added a way to drop off ladders with the press of a button.

since there's no official word from the devs, I choose to thank The Miracle for this blessing. of course if I fall to my death into a pit of spikes I will also thank The Miracle for it. all praise be The Grievous Miracle.

May 3, 2020
Germany
So maybe that's a dump question, but why should I provide stuff to Nacimiento? Improvement of flask effectiveness is nice, but sacrificing a flask isn't. Maybe I am missing something.

Oct 26, 2017
So maybe that's a dump question, but why should I provide stuff to Nacimiento? Improvement of flask effectiveness is nice, but sacrificing a flask isn't. Maybe I am missing something.
In the original version, you couldn't upgrade flasks. Effectively, by the time you reached the end game you would have to waste a bunch of flasks at once to heal yourself completely.
They probably did the sacrifice to upgrade thing to balance the fact that upgraded flasks are almost a full heal. You can still end up with enough flasks to heal several times in the end, so it was a pretty good compromise I think.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game today, I really enjoyed it. Mood and ambient is god-level, the world of Custodia feels magical, distorted and menacing at the same time. As a spaniard, I love how the devs have adapted many local mythos and turned it into something really cool. Gameplay is very good; the combat system is simple but engaging but I feel like it's a bit underused. For example, in the fights against humanoid bosses your counterattack would miss many times due to range, or the boss would recover from your combo before you could deliver the combo finisher. The execution system seems a bit random and could've been used more by providing additional effects, maybe through powerups. The "air-impulse" could've been part of some fight in a much more protagonist way, though that would've required reqorking this skill a bit as you don't have a lot of control when you use it. Contact damage shouldn't be a thing either, IMO it made combat worse and even the powerup to not take damage still locks you in the hit animation.

The world is amazing but there is too much backtracking. Even after unlocking bonfire teleportation moving through the same rooms for the nth time becomes tiring. Other Metroidvanias solve this by giving you movement upgrades through the game, so each time you go through an area you may have new tools you can use to move faster or in a completely different way. Or they just have a much more engaging movement system, like Dead Cells where blasting through a level is really fun by mixing double jumps, rolls, jump-rolls, wall-runs...Blasphemous only has the relics to upgrade your traversal but even those are completely situational and used only in one-time events to find a secret or get a collectible. BTW, you should be able to equip all relics at once, I see no benefits to not being able to and it completely kills the pace. Just holding dash could give you a sprint to cross faster the many straight empty rooms there are in the game.

Level design is good-to-great, everything warps on itself in many ways and I love how each area has its' own gameplay mechanics tied to the theme/location. I felt a bit disappointed at the end because I went first to the inverted bell and I absolutely loved the area: It felt very distinct, tetric, original and the bell theme was used masterfully in puzzles, enemies and even in a big dungeon-wide puzzle. However, the rest of the areas fell short in comparison and repeated too much the "take a detour to unlock the way forward/shortcut" approach. I wish there had been more dungeon-wide differentiated mechanics in each area, like hunting/being hunted by a special enemy through the ful dungeon or maybe stuff that changed the dungeons in ways beyond unlocking a door or an elevator: Rotating rooms or the full dungeon, turning rooms upside down, altering gravity, alternate dimensions (light/dark, past/present, fire/ice...)...In the end I always just proceeded forward until I hit a roadblock, backtrack, take another path and repeat until I reached the boss.

Overall even with these problems I enjoyed the game a lot and hope that the devs keep on releasing more content or develop a sequel or spin-off. The characters, sceneries, enemies, locations, lore...are all amazing and the whole game feels like it could be the basics for a really impactful game.

BTW, if you like this game take a look at Unworthy, it's like Blasphemous but developed by just one guy: It's a much simpler game but if you liked Blasphemous I'm sure you'll love it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the update but just wanted to chime in and report that these fucking things:

blasphemous.fandom.com

Ghastly Baroness

Ghastly Baroness is an enemy that comes in a Wax and Ink variety. The Wax Ghastly Baroness can be found in Convent of Our Lady of the Charred Visage, while the Ink Ghastly Baroness can be found in Library of the Negated Words. They are invisible until the Penitent One approaches them. Both...

Are broken. At least the hit detection on their laser thingy is. Good Lord almighty.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I bought the game 6 months ago , played about 5 hours then dropped because the backtracking and lack of enough fast travel got frustrating. How are the fast travel now ? Because I would like to give it another try.

Aug 6, 2020
some dumb city
I really wish people didn't call this a metroidvania, because it hearkens more to Souls games in how it handles backtracking/exploration. I do quite like the changes that came with the update though, and think it elevates the game from a 7-7.5 up to a solid 8.5 to a 9. Adding actual NG+ content and tuning the game/improving basically everything is pretty significant.

These Amanacedias don't mess around either. Very fun bosses to battle as they're pretty distinct.

I bought the game 6 months ago , played about 5 hours then dropped because the backtracking and lack of enough fast travel got frustrating. How are the fast travel now ? Because I would like to give it another try.
There's a new mechanic in which you can donate tears to the church in Albero. Once you donate a certain amount, you upgrade all the altars automatically and can teleport between them.