• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Won't be able to play it until later today, but how is the level design? Is it too like a game from thirty years ago? The area in the demo, while short, seemed way too linear and almost vertical.
so far it is alright, there were two areas were the level design was great, it starts out fairly linear but then it is really sprawling and there are shortcuts to be opened

how hard is this compare to hollow knight? I think that's my limit

it feels easier than HK. i don´t think the game is hard at all, there are sections where you have to be patient because of the platforming(oldschool style wind which blows in two directions and you have to jump in tandem with the wind for example) but the combat was straightforward so far. for me personally it could be harder, it is all fairly forgiving. (i feel like they should have had difficulty options, it is a tad too easy.)

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
So for anyone who played Death's Gambit, how does this compare?

Also, is there a map? I find it a lot harder to remember the layout of 2D worlds, so I'm hoping this doesn't try to copy Dark Souls in that regard.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
about the same I feel, but I never any trouble with HK outside a few bosses and white palace.
Is more forgiving than hollow knight.
I think it's harder. Hollow Knight I found rather easy.
Similar but the death penalty is much more lenient since you only temporarily lose part of your magic meter until you return to your corpse(s). No currency loss on death.
it feels easier than HK. i don´t think the game is hard at all, there are sections where you have to be patient because of the platforming(oldschool style wind which blows in two directions for example) but the combat was straightforward so far. for me personally it could be harder, it is all fairly forgiving.

Thanks everyone. So I shouldn't expect to be way harder than HK. Easier, same or a little bit harder. Thanks

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks everyone. So I shouldn't expect to be way harder than HK. Easier, same or a little bit harder. Thanks

resetera.gif

Also, is there a map? I find it a lot harder to remember the layout of 2D worlds, so I'm hoping this doesn't try to copy Dark Souls in that regard.

yes it has a very typical metroidvania map

edit: checked my save, 4 hours 23 minutes... I need a break lol >_<

Last edited:

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Yes there is a map. This you can say is a more polished deaths gambit, well elaborated and tighter experience.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
how similar is this to something like hollow knight? and I don't mean difficulty

strange question... I mean, its a "metroidvania", with a very Gothic religious theme. It has the same trappings as Hollok Knight like any other of its genre, its a 2d action platformer with a sprawling "open world" that you unlock various skills to progress, kill bosses, collect items, unlock shortcuts to previous zones.

It's "one of those"

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like how a normal weapon swing comes before any special moves (ie charge strike, downward strike). Feels kinda sloppy.

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
Played 2 hours just for now. If i compare anything to those who want to try this game, i would say this game is combined hollow knight and salt & sanctuary. Great game so far.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Killed the demo boss, one shot but with the lady's help just like the demo lol >_< I suck oh well :D
I played the demo twice, once with the help and once without, and I'm... not sure what she even did >.>

This game sucks. Oof.
combat isn't very engaging, platform is imprecise, the checkpoints are frustrating, idk. It's just not fun. I think the IGN review was fairly spot in. I'm like 2 hours in I think and it's just ... yikes.
Looks sick tho and the lore is wild.

Agreed.
Maybe lead with the content from the 2nd post next time? :P

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Just started playing on switch - holy shit this game is gorgeous. The Lore is extremely my shit too. Combat is fun for me as well.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Reminder that deaths gambit is getting a 2.0 update that will revamp the entire game and add new stuff.

I'd be willing to give this another shot after reading impressions/reviews of this 2.0 version but man, that combat needs to be seriously fucking reworked for me to bother again after what a letdown the initial release was.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting myself from earlier

Early-ish game tip:

Make sure to buy the key from the old lady and then backtrack back to the door after the first "boss" right at the start, you get a relic that allows you to see invisible platforms that often lead to items and whatnot, one imagines it will be useful throughout the entire game, as you imediatly find 2 places to use it as you go back to the cathedral section.

Killed the demo boss, one shot but with the lady's help just like the demo lol >_< I suck oh well :D

And another tip, read at your own discretion obviously

Tip #2 - When you get to a zone called
Grievous Ascent or something (it's a zone with poison mist flying around, you'll know it)
you want to head to the
top right of the map asap as you get a item that nullifies the poison mist,
obviously making the zone much more manageable.

Again, big spoilers but hope it helps.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dphex fuck
Tres Angustias
and fuck you for saying the game is easy lol >_>

interesting tidbit, you do NOT get Guilt (aka the game's death penalty) when you die on bosses huh

edit: got it :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The soundtrack is so cool, really atmospheric. And despite being very graphic and gore, the game isn't blasphemous at all, but more like an alternate reading of christianism that would include all its obscure clans, myths, rites and iconographies.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
might be nitpicking:
sometimes i feel like they should have made the enemies bigger, you can jump over nearly any enemy so far which makes traversing not really dangerous :-) but well, the "skipping enemies" problem occurs in many games

and some areas could have done better with a few more enemies, there were some areas which felt a little bit too empty so far.

and last, yeah i would have loved difficulty settings, this feels like "normal" i would have played it on hard if there would have been the option

but i like this game, it hits the retro feel quite well, the pixel art is really great and those cutscenes...whew
the killing animations are super great, this has the oldschool style and feel i really like. the animations in general are splendid.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
The game is cool. Controls are my only gripe because some of the platforming heavy sections. The difficulty is right but the 2nd boss had me raging because it felt like I was battling the boss and the controls. Everything else completely makes up for that tho.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hmm I gave the second item to the villagers and they gave me some sort of tear, but I dont have it in my inventory anyware. Hopefully not a bug :/

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Decided to try it out real quick and ended up playing it a couple of hours! It's so good!

Question for those that are are at and/or beyond the sewer looking levels with the poison gas, what am I suppose to do there? I looked around for anything but nothing I could find to stop it or to negate it, bought the trinket from the merchant that says can stop toxins but it didn't do anything.

Jan 11, 2018
Got this bad boy downloading on Switch right now! I just finished Bloodstained RotN and I have an itch for a similar kinda game :).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to try it out real quick and ended up playing it a couple of hours! It's so good!

Question for those that are are at and/or beyond the sewer looking levels with the poison gas, what am I suppose to do there? I looked around for anything but nothing I could find to stop it or to negate it, bought the trinket from the merchant that says can stop toxins but it didn't do anything.

keep going left until you reach the mountains :)

youre talking about the desecrated cistern correct?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sheesh some of this game is fucked up... like the thing using a living woman as a club.... Damn.
Loving it. The religious stuff is all mumbojumbo for me so I hope that there is no bad message this game tries to deliver or something.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh wait Tears of Atonement is just the name of the game's currency lol >_<

I guess those villagers dont always give you special items then, they just give you currency also. Ok ok...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
keep going left until you reach the mountains :)

youre talking about the desecrated cistern correct?

Yeah the area with the sludge monsters and 90's video games goop dripping from the valves, I went up the right to open that chest but when I went left I ran in to the mist with the exploding dudes and the mist killed me in a few seconds.

I was at the snowy mountains prior to his and got there using a different branched route but backtracked and took his one to get a bit stronger.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the area with the sludge monsters and 90's video games goop dripping from the valves, I went up the right to open that chest but when I went left I ran in to the mist with the exploding dudes and the mist killed me in a few seconds.

I was at the snowy mountains prior to his and got there using a different branched route but backtracked and took his one to get a bit stronger.

those those mountains :)

I'm actually just doing the snowy zone now (my third), there are different ones to the left of the cistern where you need to go :)