• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel a bit lost. I went to the cistern as well and then down left and ended up in a dungeon with golden statues that I could destroy and guys that love to ring bells. Below this area is a more challenging area with monsters coming out of portraits. I would love to gather my ghosts and teleport back to the area which is maybe the hub town. Is there any way to fast travel? If not navigation could become a chore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I feel a bit lost. I went to the cistern as well and then down left and ended up in a dungeon with golden statues that I could destroy and guys that love to ring bells. Below this area is a more challenging area with monsters coming out of portraits. I would love to gather my ghosts and teleport back to the area which is maybe the hub town. Is there any way to fast travel? If not navigation could become a chore.

thats where you need to be btw. There is fast travel but Ive only found one point so far. And dont worry about your "ghsots", the only thing it does is lock a bit of your mana bar, you can pay those big guys to remove all your guilt if you really want to.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
those those mountains :)

I'm actually just doing the snowy zone now (my third), there are different ones to the left of the cistern where you need to go :)

But left is the toxic clouds/mist which kills me, I tried speeding through it but I ended up at a platform with a bunch of enemies on it which I can't jump on.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
But left is the toxic clouds/mist which kills me, I tried speeding through it but I ended up at a platform with a bunch of enemies on it which I can't jump on.

top left, leads to mountains of the endless dusk, im sure you can get there avoiding poison because thats where I went, although the user above is in the Bell area (where you need to go) and apparently he went another way (it all loops around as usual in these games anyway)

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about getting it on the Switch because I expect the visuals to look gorgeous in the handheld mode, but reading about the difficulty makes me reconsider. After all, if I buy it on PC and it ends up being too difficult for me, I can always resort to Cheat Engine...

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
thats where you need to be btw. There is fast travel but Ive only found one point so far. And dont worry about your "ghsots", the only thing it does is lock a bit of your mana bar, you can pay those big guys to remove all your guilt if you really want to.
Thanks. I travelled to the Grievance Ascends in the Bronze Frontier. I didn't explore the suburbs. I cannot get back up without dying. Is it really recommended to continue the GA? The poison clouds and enemies seem tough.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I was thinking about getting it on the Switch because I expect the visuals to look gorgeous in the handheld mode, but reading about the difficulty makes me reconsider. After all, if I buy it on PC and it ends up being too difficult for me, I can always resort to Cheat Engine...
It's not hard, just don't be too careless.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I travelled to the Grievance Ascends in the Bronze Frontier. I didn't explore the suburbs. I cannot get back up without dying. Is it really recommended to continue the GA? The poison clouds and enemies seem tough.

Tip (spoiler) for Grievous Ascent, read at your own risk

You want an item in the
top left corner of the zone, it negates the poison mist

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
top left, leads to mountains of the endless dusk, im sure you can get there avoiding poison because thats where I went, although the user above is in the Bell area (where you need to go) and apparently he went another way (it all loops around as usual in these games anyway)

Ah gotcha, I'll look around then. I never know If I'm just missing something, if I'm not suppose to be there yet or if I'm being dumb with things like this. ;p

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Totally forgot about this, Jim Sterlings impressions just popped up on YouTube. He's really positive on it.

So the consensus is it's legit? Best platform?

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I love death metal, metroidvanias, and Souls games. I feel like I'm demographically obligated to buy this game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to start using more magic, I constantly walked around with a full bar, which is now 6 pips long, and i could be using that ranged thing across the floor to sneak some hits in but no, I keep forgetting :/

edit: oh wow :D

Huge spoilers, only click if you finished or are late in the game.

The lady that helps you with bosses grows older, I guess you are sapping the life out of ehr each time she helps you, shes an old woman now in the third boss :) I guess I might aswell take her help and go all the way, maybe if I ever replay it I wont accept her help at all and see what happens :)

Last edited:

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tip (spoiler) for Grievous Ascent, read at your own risk

You want an item in the
top left corner of the zone, it negates the poison mist
Ok, I will push on a bit. Although, there are some rage inducing segments. Like the crumbling bride with the bell ghost und the one with the rapier

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I will push on a bit. Although, there are some rage inducing segments. Like the crumbling bride with the bell ghost und the one with the rapier

yup and then there are sections like that WITH
poison mist
, so yeah, you want the item lol >_<

Sidenote: FUCK THIS
SNOWY MOUNTAIN
BOSS holy shit. It seemed really easy then the last third or so of his health he goes absolutely MENTAL and
the game turns into a bullet hell shooter
>_<

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Kickstarter backer codes (via Backerkit). Between this and Minoria, I don't know where to start with the whole Killer Nuns theme...

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's an AMA on Reddit where they've said they're going to be adding stuff for the game as free DLC! Wouldn't expect much, but let's see what they have.

Another reminder, albeit not a good one, that game is not on Switch for whatever reason.
Don't tell anyone, but on the Discord the devs have said they're working on it :P

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
2 wounds down. I feel like I'm finally starting to get into the game's groove, but the first ~3.5 hours weren't much fun -- which is weird, because I love souls-likes, 2D metroidvanias, hard games, and so forth. But I feel like I've died a lot of cheap deaths here, and that's coming from someone whose standard response to this complaint is "You're probably playing it wrong." I've almost never played a game where I could complain of cheap deaths, but this one seems to have them in spades, and I'm confused that no one seems to have a similar experience.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Don't tell anyone, but on the Discord the devs have said they're working on it :P

Nice. Although I might not own a Switch by then after I throw mine out the window soon because this fucking boss wont die

FUCKER ONE HIT AWAY I PANICKED AND STARTED SPAMMING ITS DARK SOULS ALL OVER AGAIN >_<

edit: Victory! thats 3 mcguffins down then, let's see what happens, surely this cant be the end.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck me, that
Knight guy that stalks you throughout the game
was fucking hard, hardest boss so far. 8h 31min and my neck is killing me, I need a break, I've been battering it all day >_<

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know exactly how I feel about the game, enemies are kinda easy and it feels barren somehow.

I got a foil steam card that I sold for 5€ though, I don't know if that was good but it made the purchase pretty cheap with gmg 20% off so I'm happy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So for anyone who played Death's Gambit, how does this compare?

Also, is there a map? I find it a lot harder to remember the layout of 2D worlds, so I'm hoping this doesn't try to copy Dark Souls in that regard.

I didn't hate Death's Gambit like some, and with the upcoming content patch it might be better. The hitboxes and feedback were very suspect though in that game, and so far with this at least it feels great for the most part.

I'm also like only fifteen minutes in, but it seems strange for the spots where you can upgrade to be so spread out, and not simply this game's version of the bonfire; which are everywhere.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't hate Death's Gambit like some, and with the upcoming content patch it might be better. The hitboxes and feedback were very suspect though in that game, and so far with this at least it feels great for the most part.

I'm also like only fifteen minutes in, but it seems strange for the spots where you can upgrade to be so spread out, and not simply this game's version of the bonfire; which are everywhere.

the spots where you can upgrade the sword are spread out (if thats what you mean) because its what levels up your sword (I mean so you can access those lvl 2 skills, lvl 3 etc) and also increases its strength. So yeah, you need to keep going back to that first one for awhile.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Has anyone figured out how to equip more rosary beads at the same time? The tips menu says to find Knots and I found one, but I can only equip two beads at once still.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Reposting these as I feel they might help people

1 - Early-ish game tip:

Make sure to buy the key from the old lady and then backtrack back to the door after the first "boss" right at the start, you get a relic that allows you to see invisible platforms that often lead to items and whatnot, one imagines it will be useful throughout the entire game, as you imediatly find 2 places to use it as you go back to the cathedral section.

2 - another tip, read at your own discretion obviously

Tip #2 - When you get to a zone called
Grievous Ascent or something (it's a zone with poison mist flying around, you'll know it)
you want to head to the
top right of the map asap as you get a item that nullifies the poison mist,
obviously making the zone much more manageable.

3 - Don't be afraid to buy items / upgrade your flasks / buy sword skills. You get so much currency its ridiculous, I had a bunch earlier, got to a new store which had more expensive items (800, 1200 and 5000) and I thought "oh I guess I dont have as much currency as I thought" but nah, fast forward 2 hours of gametime, I bought all those items, I ahve all the skills available atm (at sword lvl 2) and Im sitting on 9.5k currency. So yeah dont be stingy.

Again, spoilers but hope it helps.

Has anyone figured out how to equip more rosary beads at the same time? The tips menu says to find Knots and I found one, but I can only equip two beads at once still.

I have 3 knots, is that what they are for? I guess we need to find someone to give them to? I too also can use 2 beads so far.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
the spots where you can upgrade the sword are spread out (if thats what you mean) because its what levels up your sword (I mean so you can access those lvl 2 skills, lvl 3 etc) and also increases its strength. So yeah, you need to keep going back to that first one for awhile.

Right, but all you're doing is "leveling up". But anyway, just a few minutes after my previous post, I found out why they are where they are and how you can easily reach them.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Right, but all you're doing is "leveling up". But anyway, just a few minutes after my previous post, I found out why they are where they are and how you can easily reach them.

I just meant why they are few and far between :)

I'll tell you what is weird being so few and far between, unless I've completely missed them, the fast travel points. I found one early on and been in like 4 or 5 major zones since and havent found another.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yup and then there are sections like that WITH
poison mist
, so yeah, you want the item lol >_<

I really begin to hate that bridge. There are two waves of enemies. At least. The second one with the two bell ghosts and the rapier ghost is wrecking me. If I stand my ground, I get hit. And I only have to flasks to mitigate that. If I move around, I get shoved into the abyss below. Is the item close to that scene, or do I have to do shit like this a couple of times after that? If there is not a safe point after that scene, I would lose my sanity.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really begin to hate that bridge. There are two waves of enemies. At least. The second one with the two bell ghosts and the rapier ghost is wrecking me. If I stand my ground, I get hit. And I only have to flasks to mitigate that. If I move around, I get shoved into the abyss below. Is the item close to that scene, or do I have to do shit like this a couple of times after that? If there is not a safe point after that scene, I would lose my sanity.

Well you get the item shortly after :p

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh videogame, you sneaky motherfucker... walk into a obvious boss room, but decide to walk out and explore where the tower was going further up, just a couple of platforms up, I find the third sword upgrade shrine, thus upgrading the sword strength of course, making it easier to WACK SHIT...so shouldnt that be BEFORE the boss room lol?

giphy.gif

edit: yeah fuck that boss, not tonight game, not tonight lol

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Loving what little I've played, but is the game a lot less smooth and more stuttery than the demo for anyone else?

Part of it is that they removed support for high refresh rates in order to "fix" the jump down platform bug (now it's locked at 60 fps no mater the refresh rate), but even at 60hz, it's not fluid :|

It's a shame, it was perfect in the demo (except not being able to jump down platforms that is)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liking the little optional puzzle / platform challenges. One lead me to an item that increases souls (or w/e they are called in this game" but makes it so you can't use flasks. Probably useful for some farming / challenge runs.

I feel like I took an alternate hard path / sequence break as I found a secret area and assumed it would dead end and nope, looks like it is indeed part of the main quest, just maybe an alternate route to it.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any performance or load time issues on PS4? Normally I'd get this on PC but I have some PSN credit.

No issues so far. Dying and spawning is fast.

Anyone know what the secret room does at the beginning of the game? It is the crack in the wall after opening up the secret breakaway wall at the bottom of the house with all the people.

You get some item in the room before called "calcaneum of persia the bandit".

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
You can tell that this game is a labour of love. The sprite animations are incredible. As a 2D lovers, It's what I expected to see when the 32 bit systems were released, before they decided to go polygonal.

I'm at the poison mist area as well. I think I should have done the snowy area first.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No issues so far. Dying and spawning is fast.

Anyone know what the secret room does at the beginning of the game? It is the crack in the wall after opening up the secret breakaway wall at the bottom of the house with all the people.

You get some item in the room before called "calcaneum of persia the bandit".

It's a collection room, when you go back and have more collictbles, they'll go into the wall. Maybe something happens if you get them all.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Using the lunge alot now, it's a great way to engage or straight up kill weaker enemies.

The charged strike not so much.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta

I only played a little bit but a few ppl I talk with said theyve run through a large portion of the game and that its easy. I hope its not the case cause i love a tough challenge.

I blasted through the Gears campaign with hopes this and fire emblem would hold me over until Links Awakening smh