• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the jumping bomb throwers in the snow area? Overtuned much? They shouldn't have tank health on top of the damage they dish out by jumping around like fish men from Castlevania.

edit: Also, fuck the platforming sections in the snow area. Some of it is bordeline cheap, and not "hard" like the original Mega Man.

Last edited:

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I only played a little bit but a few ppl I talk with said theyve run through a large portion of the game and that its easy. I hope its not the case cause i love a tough challenge.

I blasted through the Gears campaign with hopes this and fire emblem would hold me over until Links Awakening smh

Good news for me, I guess. I am on the opposite side of the fence - so many games I wish to play and so little time, that I like to breeze through a game. If a game is too difficult I got frustrated and start thinking about the next shiny thing.
Robust difficulty options FTW.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I only played a little bit but a few ppl I talk with said theyve run through a large portion of the game and that its easy. I hope its not the case cause i love a tough challenge.

I blasted through the Gears campaign with hopes this and fire emblem would hold me over until Links Awakening smh

It is certainly easy if you are good at parrying + retribution.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What's up with the jumping bomb throwers in the snow area? Overtuned much? They shouldn't have tank health on top of the damage they dish out by jumping around like fish men from Castlevania.

Slash 2x and when they jump, slide underneath, rinse and repeat. Btw that area was the last one I did (well last of the 3 macguffins) so I already had sword level 2.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
As someone indecisive in purchasing this game, how responsive is the inputs and can you cancel animations? Basically how good is the game feel.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I swear everytime I turn my switch on to play my newborn starts screaming. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...... The real Dark Souls. He knows! hahaha

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
As someone indecisive in purchasing this game, how responsive is the inputs and can you cancel animations? Basically how good is the game feel.

Controls are super responsive and tight. No, you cannot cancel animations, you can't mash your way through. game is great.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
lol, guy on the bridge was quite the difficulty spike. but that was a nice fight which requires you to master the slide attack.

it feels like a SNES game, some things could be more precise but yeah, it has this retro feel where you have to get familiar with how the char reacts to your control inputs. hanging on edges is definitely a little bit finicky sometimes and the character is a little bit slippery when there is real precision required. but all in all, it controls good.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How am I supposed to get skill points? I have one from early on but haven't found anymore.

I thought you got them from killing bosses, but after restarting, it looks like you have to at least visit the Mea Culpa shrines to get a point (as well as upgrade the sword).

lol, guy on the bridge was quite the difficulty spike. but that was a nice fight which requires you to master the slide attack.

I actually started over due to not being able to upgrade my sword any further the way I wanted, and I initially grabbed the slide attack. It wasn't much use for a lot of enemies.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
This might be the most minor gripe ever, but I really wish there was a "drop from ladder" button. There's so many situations you're on ladders and having to jump off is just adding enough extra time to start bugging me.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica

it feels like a SNES game, some things could be more precise but yeah, it has this retro feel where you have to get familiar with how the char reacts to your control inputs. hanging on edges is definitely a little bit finicky sometimes and the character is a little bit slippery when there is real precision required. but all in all, it controls good.
This is what I could gather from the trailers, it seemed a little too stiff but if its precise then thats not an issue. I just have played many sidescrolling indie games that just feel a little too restrictive in terms of control.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Controls are super responsive and tight. No, you cannot cancel animations, you can't mash your way through. game is great.

You might be talking about special attacks maybe, but you can cancel some animations. You can cancel the slide into a jump and I'm not entirely sure if it's actually a cancel or not due to how fast the normal attacks are anyway, but it looks like you can cancel a normal attack into a slide.

edit: Yep, you can cancel normal attacks into a slide. It is kind of mashy too on regular enemies that can be parried. You can just hit them multiple times and then instantly block when they attack.

you can hold x and down to slide down ladders

LOL, WTF. I initially tried holding "B", or circle to do this, and when that didn't work, I just started jumping off of them.

Oct 27, 2017
How do I... Level up? I must be missing something. I need to spend my points at the mea culpa alter, those are the checkpoints right? But...how? I can just rest there. Or am I completely misunderstanding this mechanic?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's two types of altars. The big one is for upgrading your sword and buying moves, the other is just a checkpoint to respawn at / refill your flasks. The big ones are rare.

Oct 27, 2017
do you mean upgrading moves? this is done at different shrines, large and blocky ones
yeah... makes sense.

I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game. Something about it isn't clicking for me. The combat feels fine, but something is feeling off for me. The pacing and world design seem to lean more toward difficult/antagonistic relationship toward the player and I dunno if it's working for me.

I got to through the sewer level and there are these bells and i haven't found a checkpoint so i died a few times and stopped. The metroidvania-ness of the game isn't feeling that satisfying yet. Need to put more time into it though...

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Well my big thing is there a lot of slowdown on the switch, if not I'll buy it on the switch, I guess the other thinG is any version 60 FPS? I like my 2d games 60 if possible

Oct 27, 2017
Well my big thing is there a lot of slowdown on the switch, if not I'll buy it on the switch, I guess the other thinG is any version 60 FPS? I like my 2d games 60 if possible
The performance on Switch is actually....not... perfect. It's a bit stuttery for me. It hitches sometimes when i'm in combat and it throws me off. And during this platforming sequence it feels like there's a lot of slowdown going on which is messing me up.

Also, the game thinks it's platforming mechanics are wayyyy more precise than they actually are. The hitboxes on ledges and ladders kinda suck and I'm routinely missing platforms and landing on fucking instant dead spike pits. Who thinks that's good game design? It frankly sucks in my opinion.

I'm giving this game as much chance as I can, and I paid for this game twice so I want to like it. But it's honestly losing me.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
The performance on Switch is actually....not... perfect. It's a bit stuttery for me. It hitches sometimes when i'm in combat and it throws me off. And during this platforming sequence it feels like there's a lot of slowdown going on which is messing me up.

Also, the game thinks it's platforming mechanics are wayyyy more precise than they actually are. The hitboxes on ledges and ladders kinda suck and I'm routinely missing platforms and landing on fucking instant dead spike pits. Who thinks that's good game design? It frankly sucks in my opinion.

I'm giving this game as much chance as I can, and I paid for this game twice so I want to like it. But it's honestly losing me.
This is what I wanted to know, thank you

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Also, don't know if it's intentional, but you get an item that reduces the cooldown on your dodge. By itself, it's not really anything special. It does reduce the cooldown, but not significantly. Yet if you hold down while dodging, the cooldown is instantaneous. Makes backtracking more tolerable too.

I beat a few bosses and found a few of those shrines. I didn't get shit.

I just found my second shrine and I got a second point. You have to find the Mea Cupla shrines. That's the really big one that has a sculpture of a bunch of people holding on to your sword.

The upgrade tree seems superfluous now anyway though as everything is gated in a major way. I thought you actually had to spend points to get the skills, but you don't. Your Mea Culpa points just unlock the tiers automatically.

edit: Some of this platforming is just clunky as fuck. There's no "drop down" button, and the game is super sticky when it comes to ledges. Want to drop down on to a moving platform that is moving over some spikes while you are holding on to the side of a pillar? Good luck with that, because you have to jump instead of dropping, and it makes the screen move up and you can't see the platform and the spikes anymore. It's a literal leap of faith.

edit2: And done until they patch this, or at least for the night. Just got hit out of the air by a boomerang, knocked onto a moving platform and the game became completely unresponsive.

Last edited:

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! OP!

I'm pretty sure the land of Blasphemous is called Cvstodia, not Ortodoxia. They changed the name.

BTW, a Cvstodia or Custodia is the ornamental piece where the communion is exposed during special dates for the catholic religion (just in case there's still people that don't think that this game is an allegory of catholicism).

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
edit2: And done until they patch this, or at least for the night. Just got hit out of the air by a boomerang, knocked onto a moving platform and the game became completely unresponsive.
I ran into an issue with the walls that you can hang on by stabbing your sword into them. I randomly attached to the wall at such a low level that I was basically on the ground, and the game just stopped responding. My guy was hanging there on the wall, animations and stuff were still going, but the game became completely unresponsive to any input. It didn't hardlock the system but I just had to close out the software.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into an issue with the walls that you can hang on by stabbing your sword into them. I randomly attached to the wall at such a low level that I was basically on the ground, and the game just stopped responding. My guy was hanging there on the wall, animations and stuff were still going, but the game became completely unresponsive to any input. It didn't hardlock the system but I just had to close out the software.

That wasn't even the first time the game went unresponsive on me either. The first time was right after I unlocked the dashing stab move, and did it while moving off of the screen. It just did nothing after that, so I never dashed like that off the screen again.

There's also some weird feedback going on with some enemies too. There are some annoying bell ghosts in the snow area that occasionally become invincible (not talking about when they get a green aura and track the fuck out of you either), and your strikes make a different kind of sound. This isn't actually what they are supposed to do. It's just an issue with the game going wonky. I even died to one of them that was off of the screen as well.

The platforming isn't really that precise either. Sometimes your character keeps moving like he has massive momentum if you barely move him at all, or like he's skating. Sometimes that should be happening (windy area), but usually it's not.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
am i missing something or can´t the health flasks be upgraded so that they heal more? it is ridiculous, i have to use 3 flasks to heal the whole health bar which just seems wrong at this point.

later boss fights are super tedious because of that, you have to stand still 3times to heal yourself, that is too big of a risk

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
am i missing something or can´t the health flasks be upgraded so that they heal more? it is ridiculous, i have to use 3 flasks to heal the whole health bar which just seems wrong at this point.

later boss fights are super tedious because of that, you have to stand still 3times to heal yourself, that is too big of a risk

That's what I've been thinking for a while now as well, and it also makes the upgrade to your bar along with the items you can slot for health overly redundant. In most games where you can actually have some kind of control over your health bar length, as long as I was never getting one-shot, I would never grow it until my healing items were healing for a lot more.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
That's what I've been thinking for a while now as well, and it also makes the upgrade to your bar along with the items you can slot for health overly redundant. In most games where you can actually have some kind of control over your health bar length, as long as I was never getting one-shot, I would never grow it until my healing items were healing for a lot more.

yeah, the healing system/health bar seems not very clever designed

also, the rollout of those relics is far too slow, i am deep in the second half of the game and have still only 3 relics to choose from.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um so I've come across 2 blue candles so far, but when I interact with them it says. Nothing happens. I looked it up and I'm supposed to have got a small ball of blue wax and large ball of blue wax from them. Am I missing something or am I unable to get it until later?

Jan 11, 2018
Put about 2 hours into this so far today. I'm surprised so many are calling this game easy... It hasn't been for me at all haha.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Um so I've come across 2 blue candles so far, but when I interact with them it says. Nothing happens. I looked it up and I'm supposed to have got a small ball of blue wax and large ball of blue wax from them. Am I missing something or am I unable to get it until later?

You can get two rosary beads: a red ball of wax and a blue ball of wax, each time you find one of these candles it makes them bigger and improves the buff. But you must have found the Rosary Bead to interact with them.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
If you get knocked into spiked while you have inv frames, there is no way to get the guilt back. Seems like an oversight.