• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Played about two hours last night and I love it. As others have said the sprite work and animations are excellent, and combat feedback feels great. Really love the atmosphere too. I'm unclear about retribution, I'm parrying consistently, but the enemies only occasionally flash red. Is retribution random or does something trigger it?

This is my ost:

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty much one of my most anticipated games this summer.

Played some solid hours today and I sadly have to say that the game just isn't that great.

It looks cool and the level design is solid but other then that it is very flawed.

The platforming is borderline garbage with some terrible graboxes, you can even glitch yourself on stairs. ( Don't even get me started on the climbing system)
The sub systems are mostly meaningless. Your skill tree is mainly filled with useless moves that often leave you vulnerable while casting them ( hold X one) or others that are just clunky to use that you're better off not even buying them.
The '''dodge''(slide) system is pretty wierd and more often then not doesn't really feel good to use and you'll find yourself in some trial and error situations when to use or not because the game doesn't really make it that clear what's slide-able or not.
The parry system is pretty easy to get the gasp of, but at the same time it doesn't feel rewarding in any way. Doesn't do that much damage and it refills your engery as much as a basic attack.
Combat is pretty repetitive and has almost no depth compared to similar games in the genre. There's also some input delay on certain moves like the down + B while falling or the press X while silding.

It does have some strong things going for it like it's level design, art style lore and the themes but I feel like they deserved a better game.

but the enemies only occasionally flash red. Is retribution random or does something trigger it?

You can execute them with Y

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I am also there but haven't found the 2nd shrine. Where is it?

No I meant I already had the second upgrade from another zone, I did the snow one last. There wasnt one in the snow zone. The third is after the 3 macguffins. And since it goes up to level 7 I'm a bit confused because the area after the 3 macguffins feels like the last but I guess not?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i hate unskippable cutscenes in bossfights...final boss you have to wait for the next phase while a cutscene plays, it is awful when trying to get a grip on the phase...

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
No I meant I already had the second upgrade from another zone, I did the snow one last. There wasnt one in the snow zone. The third is after the 3 macguffins. And since it goes up to level 7 I'm a bit confused because the area after the 3 macguffins feels like the last but I guess not?
Yeah that's what I meant I have reached the snow area, but still only have found 1 shrine. Where is the 2nd shrine, on which zone is it?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
finished the game

looks like there are multiple endings, i had a bad one for sure.

and as i said i didn´t even find the NPC for more rosary slots...but in the end it wasn´t even needed lol. also, i didn´t find any health upgrades anymore after the third.

i think this stuff is a little bit too hidden for its own good as i didn´t enjoy the exploration aspect as much as in other games of this genre.

maybe i will revisit the game in a few weeks to play it again with all secrets, for now i´ve had my fill

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's what I meant I have reached the snow area, but still only have found 1 shrine. Where is the 2nd shrine, on which zone is it?

I'll check the map when I get home in 10mins

Edit: oh shit nvm I'm a filthy liar, the second is in the snowy area (well after it, but yeah), my memory is mush. You didn't miss anything dude my bad lol.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
anyone knows where the NPC is to upgrade the rosary slots? i am at the final boss and still only have 2 slots, could need more slots now

You already finished the game, but it's above the fire area (Mountains of the Endless Dusk). You go all the way left through that area then up to the Brotherhood of the Silent Sorrow area. There's a warp, Mea Culpa statue, upgrade worm thing and also a guilt remover.

edit: I guess you can move the screen left, right and down using the right analog. Would have been nice to know for the previous three hours.

Last edited:

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I'll check the map when I get home in 10mins

Edit: oh shit nvm I'm a filthy liar, the second is in the snowy area (well after it, but yeah), my memory is mush. You didn't miss anything dude my bad lol.
Ah okey, I was scared that I had missed it, thanks for the help will climb the snow mountain today!

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really short game? Only played 90 mins and it says i'm already 22% completed lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
here's a list of things off the top of my head I can't figure out, 11 hours in, near the endgame (I think) so MAJOR SPOILERS FOR SIDEQUESTS:

- There is a person shaped tree at the start of the snowy area you can talk to, but it doesnt anwser
- There was another tree, albeit more of a normal tree, I could interact with but nothing happened
- There was a giant ball of hair down south somewhere with 3 plates in front of it, one of them you could give the melted coin coins, i dunno what the other plates need, I assume thats a boss
- In the cathedral after you get the 3 "macguffins", there is a lady constantly being whipped. You can either make an offering (which I did, gave her a mark of something, forget the name, and it said it eased her suffering but I dont have anything else to offer), or you can end her suffering, which I didnt do. There is also a dude next to her praying and he goes on about how she is a "miracle"
- the villagers in town that ask for food, I gave them like 4 or 5 different things, nothing special happened yet.
- the guy in the church right outside the villagers, he wants us to bring him remains. I brought him remains once, he gave me some currency I think. But I just talked to him again and he went "oh you met Orphas? bla bla bla he's seen a miracle bla bla bla give him this" and he gave me some Beads (so im wondering if its related to the bead upgrade/knots) but who the fuck is Orphas lol? At first I thought it was the the dude next to the lady in pain, since he says she is a miracle, but I went back up there and I cant give him the beads...

All these SOTN / Dark Souls type shit to find out, but unfortunately like Dphex said, it kinda feels like you can ignore all that shit and I imagine most people do. I mean, to be fair, you can ignore all that side shit in the Souls games also. But since I'm a crazy person, I like doing these things, so Ill keep exploring.

Does anyone have any idea about any of the things I listed?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Does this make your second, or third? I am only 36% complete, and I've found three.

oooh three? where? You are counting the village as a "travel point" I assume? I have the one in Mercy dreams (the first boss / demo area) and then I just found another in the cathedral area after the you hand in the 3 macguffins, specifically in the
library to the bottom of that zone

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
oooh three? where? You are counting the village as a "travel point" I assume? I have the one in Mercy dreams (the first boss / demo area) and then I just found another in the cathedral area after the you hand in the 3 macguffins, specifically in the
library to the bottom of that zone

I found three portals, which gives me access to four areas. I've also just found my second rosary bead, so I can now have four upgrades.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I found three portals, which gives me access to four areas. I've also just found my second rosary bead, so I can now have four upgrades.

dude, how about you share how and where then lol?

Also, there WAS a sword upgrade before the "Cathedral after you have the 3 macguffins" Nere I just found it lol. I missed this because I died here and never came back.

New zone with sword upgrade: At the far west of the mountain with the lifts that leads to the bell zone. There is a area with 2 of those charging masked guys and I remember dying there because it was 2 of them and they stun locked me, I guess I never went back. So yeah, Sword upgrade there (so my 4th) and whatever else is up there, ill find out now

EDIT: Oh shit here's the knot NPC lol. So this just links back to the starting area nice, how the fuck did I miss this. Also a travel point here so I assume its one of the ones Sanctuary was talking about.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
dude, how about you share how and where then lol?

Also, there WAS a sword upgrade before the "Cathedral after you have the 3 macguffins" Nere I just found it lol. I missed this because I died here and never came back.

New zone with sword upgrade: At the far west of the mountain with the lifts that leads to the bell zone. There is a area with 2 of those charging masked guys and I remember dying there because it was 2 of them and they stun locked me, I guess I never went back. So yeah, Sword upgrade there (so my 4th) and whatever else is up there, ill find out now

EDIT: Oh shit here's the knot NPC lol. So this just links back to the brotherhood area, how the fuck did I miss this. Also a travel point here so I assume its one of the ones Sanctuary was talking about.

I don't believe I have found a single sword upgrade yet, unless you're just talking about the rosary slots or the items you slot that give you a bonus for a penalty. I got one that improves blocking at the cost of recovery, and then a garbage one that prevents flask use for increased "souls" collection.

Also, there's a relic that lets you see hidden platforms, and while I've been able to see some of them, I didn't realize that there are spots that look like a red swarm of bugs or something that only reveal themselves when you get closer to them. Been seeing them everywhere, but had no idea what they were actually for.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tres Augustias are my first real boss. I fought them 7 or 8 times and barely moved beyond half their health bar. My damage output is really marginal. Are they a normal first or second boss, or should I come back later?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe I have found a single sword upgrade yet, unless you're just talking about the rosary slots or the items you slot that give you a bonus for a penalty. I got one that improves blocking at the cost of recovery, and then a garbage one that prevents flask use for increased "souls" collection.

Also, there's a relic that lets you see hidden platforms, and while I've been able to see some of them, I didn't realize that there are spots that look like a red swarm of bugs or something that only reveal themselves when you get closer to them. Been seeing them everywhere, but had no idea what they were actually for.

that relic you get very early on, I keep telling people how to get it. Go read my tips post if you want to know how to get it.

And the sword upgrades is each time you find a sword upgrade place it "upgrades your sword" to the next level so you can get the upgrades further down, and it also raises your attack power

Tres Augustias are my first real boss. I fought them 7 or 8 times and barely moved beyond half their health bar. My damage output is really marginal. Are they a normal first or second boss, or should I come back later?

that was also my second boss (second of the 3 macguffins you need that is) so hang in there, I died quite a few times.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so another couple of mysteries:

I found no way or item to help jumping out of water/sludge. There are at least 2 spots in the Cistern, one for a item, one to progress, where you cant jump high enough to reach something because of the sludge.

Also have found no grappling hook / vine type thing to reach places where you clearly see some green vines to attach...something.

Anyone figured these out?

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
that relic you get very early on, I keep telling people how to get it. Go read my tips post if you want to know how to get it.

I'm saying I've had it for a while now, and that some of the platforms are revealed automatically, but some actually require you to get close to them before they appear, which is what the red spinning dots are for that I've been seeing everywhere.

And are you saying the Mea Culpa shrines are what upgrade the sword's attack power?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
2 Hours in, I LOVE the setting.The level design is absoluty top notch. can't wait to be able to backtrack to get some treasure. My only complain is there not a lot of savepoint, make thing more challenging sure, but return to body take so much time....

This is a really short game? Only played 90 mins and it says i'm already 22% completed lol

haha i'm 2 hours at 31%, I've saw 10-12 hours to finish the game, something will slow thing down i'm pretty sure...

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
For those looking to upgrade the Rosary with more slots:

It's in another part of the Brotherhood of Silent Sorrow, the first area of the game. You need to go through Jondo into the Mountains of Endless Dusk until you get back to the Brotherhood area. The NPC is in one of the rooms on the lefthand side of the map.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, this platforming sure is something else. 99% of the time the character magnetically pulls himself to ledges when you don't want him to, but on a boss fight that is nothing but a moving platforming section, he fails to grab 99% of the time. I just had a somewhat bullshit boss almost dead, and then my character missed a platform, got blasted by a beam he wasn't touching, jumped again to a platform that he would not grab, then died to the screen moving.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Vine snake boss in the Library
was easy, found a third vendor, sold a health flask for 9k and and key for...somewhere (?) for 9999. Got the key, went down to like 2k currency, killed the boss, back up to 11k lol

Oh and I found the room where the cherubs go, but I probably wont find all of them anyway :p

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I must've missed something. Gave an item to an NPC and got Tears of Atonement but I'm not seeing in inventory. What's this do?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You already finished the game, but it's above the fire area (Mountains of the Endless Dusk). You go all the way left through that area then up to the Brotherhood of the Silent Sorrow area. There's a warp, Mea Culpa statue, upgrade worm thing and also a guilt remover.

edit: I guess you can move the screen left, right and down using the right analog. Would have been nice to know for the previous three hours.

ah, good to know when i am doing another playthrough

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I must've missed something. Gave an item to an NPC and got Tears of Atonement but I'm not seeing in inventory. What's this do?

its the name of the currency, I was confused also. Those vilagers give you more and more with each food you bring them, the one I just gave them he gave me 10k for example.

I'm saying I've had it for a while now, and that some of the platforms are revealed automatically, but some actually require you to get close to them before they appear, which is what the red spinning dots are for that I've been seeing everywhere.

And are you saying the Mea Culpa shrines are what upgrade the sword's attack power?

yes, have you not noticed that enemies take fewer hits to kill? Like I can 1 shot the ladies with the stone pillars from early in the game for example.

Running out of places to explore until I find some sort of traversal items like I said earlier, either to jump higher in the sludge, or to access those vines in various places. Also for those wondering about time, I'm at 12hr 51min with 72.5% according to the save (I'm exploring a lot)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Also for those wondering about time, I'm at 12hr 51min with 72.5% according to the save (I'm exploring a lot)

took me 16hours 20minutes to playthrough, was a bit underpowered at the final boss though and last phase i had quite a few deaths till it clicked

i think it is a very solid game with a few warts like the sometimes finicky platforming and some bullshit moments. but it feels retro that way because the games from back in the days all had their flaws, so this feels really like something from yesteryear including some ho hum stuff:-)

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Hahaha, ok, the insta-death pitfalls are getting VERY annoying.
Enemies are like fucking insects in comparison to the harsh mistress that is gravity.

And I beat all of the Side Bs on Celeste.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
its the name of the currency, I was confused also. Those vilagers give you more and more with each food you bring them, the one I just gave them he gave me 10k for example.

yes, have you not noticed that enemies take fewer hits to kill? Like I can 1 shot the ladies with the stone pillars from early in the game for example.

Running out of places to explore until I find some sort of traversal items like I said earlier, either to jump higher in the sludge, or to access those vines in various places. Also for those wondering about time, I'm at 12hr 51min with 72.5% according to the save (I'm exploring a lot)

Ah ok ,that's right. I thought for some reason it was a glitched item, I was looking at all the statues and my inventory like where the hell is this thing. Gotcha. Thanks

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Whoever designed those instadeath spikes needs a slap in the face. Terrible game design.
Hahaha, ok, the insta-death pitfalls are getting VERY annoying.
Enemies are like fucking insects in comparison to the harsh mistress that is gravity.

And I beat all of the Side Bs on Celeste.
They're annoying, but i can't help but feel like if they were toned down then several of the games areas would suddenly become way too easy. I don't really know what the "solution" for it would be though.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Re: Instadeath pits

If you find at least 20 cherubs and take them to a specific room. You'll get a relic that prevents death via pits. Instead you fall in the area below. This is required for quite a few secrets.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Re: Instadeath pits

If you find at least 20 cherubs and take them to a specific room. You'll get a relic that prevents death via pits. Instead you fall in the area below. This is required for quite a few secrets.

oh shit I think I have 19 now cool, I thought you needed to have all of them for something to happen. I found the room too :)

so PepsimanVsJoe whats up with A) being able to jump higher from water/sludge and those vines on walls, something to attach to those? Any clue about either? Both are locking me away from shit.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
oh shit I think I have 19 now cool, I thought you needed to have all of them for something to happen. I found the room too :)
You get something else for collecting all 38.
(Not nearly as useful though IMO.)

so PepsimanVsJoe whats up with A) being able to jump higher from water/sludge and those vines on walls, something to attach to those? Any clue about either? Both are locking me away from shit.
To be honest, I never figured out the deal with the sludge.

The vines
require a relic. Said relic is found inside the contents of an egg. If you have the egg, then you just need to find a way to hatch it. I think the developers went overboard here. I forget her name, but do you remember the winged boss you fought? In that same screen is a hollow tree where you can place the egg. It'll hatch once you leave the screen and come back. Take the egg remnants to the state that blesses objects (in the fountain next to clinic) and you'll get the vine-creating relic.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017
so another couple of mysteries:

I found no way or item to help jumping out of water/sludge. There are at least 2 spots in the Cistern, one for a item, one to progress, where you cant jump high enough to reach something because of the sludge.

Also have found no grappling hook / vine type thing to reach places where you clearly see some green vines to attach...something.

Anyone figured these out?

Just to know, you finished the game ?
I have done the
I am at the bridge fighting siblings
and I wanted to know if there is a point of no return as I have found that place you're talking to in the cistern and don't want to lock myself out of the possibility to explore that area... i know once i finish the game I won't have the time to get back to it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just to know, you finished the game ?
I have done the
I am at the bridge fighting siblings
and I wanted to know if there is a point of no return as I have found that place you're talking to in the cistern and don't want to lock myself out of the possibility to explore that area... i know once i finish the game I won't have the time to get back to it.

you are like halfway through, the zone after that is huge and is split into like 4 zones in itself at least.