• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ok got my
third mask to go all the way up the rooftop
, which I assume is the last boss, it has to be.

19h 10min 84.25% says the save, I still want to fuck around with some side stuff but im running out of stuff I know about. I still dont know how to jump higher when youre in sludge/water (assuming you even can), which I know for a fact is blocking me from at least 2 items and the way to a locked gate, so theres that.

I would like to know what happened with the
suffering lady after she disapeared from giving the 3 marks
, and also the
pilgrim after he gets to the statue to pray,
does anyone know if those sidequests continue?

edit: btw missed opportunity to get a
flaming sword upgrade
from the
jail boss
. He was a strange one too, because I died 3 times, but on the 4th time I wrecked him, barely had to heal at all >_>

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
ok got my

19h 10min 84.25% says the save, I still want to fuck around with some side stuff but im running out of stuff I know about. I still dont know how to jump higher when youre in sludge/water (assuming you even can), which I know for a fact is blocking me from at least 2 items and the way to a locked gate, so theres that.

, and also the

flaming sword upgrade
from the
jail boss
. He was a strange one too, because I died 3 times, but on the 4th time I wrecked him, barely had to heal at all >_>
About the Pilgrim:
You have to equip the 3 toes/fingers he gave you then the statue will open a path

Also where the hell are the last two traversal items? I mean the root thing dunno and the one that activates the sparks?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
About the Pilgrim:
You have to equip the 3 toes/fingers he gave you then the statue will open a path

Also where the hell are the last two traversal items? I mean the root thing dunno and the one that activates the sparks?

the root is from the
hair ball at the bottom of grievious ascent,
you need 3 items for it, I posted above somewhere what to do.

TY for the Pilgrim tip, will try that hopefully he is still there. And wtf are sparks?

Last edited:

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
the root is from the hair ball at the bottom of grievious ascent, you need 3 items for it, I posted above somewhere what to do.

TY for the Pilgrim tip, will try that hopefully he is still there. And wtf are sparks?
The thing that you can step on if you have the item that I don't know the name. LOL

It's the other traversal item.

Also, where did you get the gold coins?

Sparks on the left:
cW8eSz2.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dude that's like a item you get in the first hour you noob :p

Buy the key from the first vendor you meet, go back to the door right at the starting area (when you wake up, after the first "boss")

I still want to know how to jump high when you're on water/sludge :/

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Dude that's like a item you get in the first hour you noob :p

Buy the key from the first vendor you meet, go back to the door right at the starting area (when you wake up, after the first "boss")

I still want to know how to jump high when you're on water/sludge :/
What the hell, how did I miss that?! Will go there right now.

About the water/sludge just do the Pilgrim thing I told you about.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not sure how I feel about these traversal mechanics being locked away behind these Souls-like sidequests, I kinda love it, but at the same time, I feel most people will miss them. But on the other hand, they are completely not needed to finish the game, but on the OTHER other hand, maybe they should be?

I feel more and more people more into the exploration part of these games will get a lot more out of it than people more interested in the combat part of them, as that part is serviceable at best.

EDIT: oh the villagers gave me a knot, so I guess that quest is done. The church dude still wants more remnants tho >_< oh and another
nearby using the swamp walking,
only missing 1 now :)

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
ok got my

, and also the

flaming sword upgrade
from the
jail boss

So there a guy in the Library that keeps saying to please make the sound stop. What sound? There was no boss there and I haven't found anything.

All these damn side quests lol.

I know what you mean regarding traversal stuff locked behind side quests... but I also kinda loved it? When I got the item that lets you jump out of swamps without following any guides it was a HUGE eureka moment.

Regarding the suffering lady
go to the western end of Mother of Mothers, there's a room that overlooks the previous area that has the dude who was in front of the lady.

I assume you wrapped up the pilgrim one by now?

Regarding your second quote:
I believe there's a hidden wall somewhere that leads to another part of the library (keep hitting walls on the left hand side of rooms, near the top) in there is an NPC banging his head against the wall.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know what you mean regarding traversal stuff locked behind side quests... but I also kinda loved it? When I got the item that lets you jump out of swamps without following any guides it was a HUGE eureka moment.

Regarding the suffering lady
go to the western end of Mother of Mothers, there's a room that overlooks the previous area that has the dude who was in front of the lady.

I assume you wrapped up the pilgrim one by now?

Regarding your second quote:
I believe there's a hidden wall somewhere that leads to another part of the library (keep hitting walls on the left hand side of rooms, near the top) in there is an NPC banging his head against the wall.

you're the man.

oh wow I found a secret bile vessel so im up to 10. This one is kinda crazy, in the
library, in the vertical room in the center of the map where you descend platforms and there are ghosts + hat guys... break all the books and a path opens at the bottom with a empty bile vessel
, hope that one is new for you hunters out there :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with this game. It just doesn't really excel at any of the things it's trying to accomplish. It really wants to be a precise platformer but the level design leans on the frustrating instead of challenging. There's so many cheap enemy patterns that seem to only exist to knock you off of something and in the first few hours it's so frequent. The platforming itself just never feels good either, landing on ledges is hit or miss due to weird hitboxes. And the fucking instant death spike pits... Combat is fine, but just super dry and isn't really satisfying to me at all. That would be fine if the exploration was fun, but it's not really. The world doesn't feel very cohesive, the various locations don't seem to fit together in logical ways. Honestly I see no reason this game needed to be a SOTN style game. Had this been level based where they could hone in on the platforming and level design I think I'd have preferred that.

As a Metroidvania it's pretty boring. As a platformer, it's cheap and janky. As a Souls-like combat action game, it's fairly mundane. It just doesn't hold up in any of the categories it's trying to be. It's a jack of no trades.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dmax3901 where's this dude banging his head man? Combed the whole place, I'm even in a tower like room with a bang bang bang sound but I've hit every wall :(

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
There's three things I need some help with:

- I found a chalice in the Desecrated Caverns, and I'm not sure what to do with it. The room it was in had three murals of a minotaur in it. What do I do?
- In the Archbishop Rooftops, there's a door in one of the elevator shafts. When I try dropping down, I instantly die. Is there a way to reach it?
- I'm missing two Mea Culpa upgrades (I'm at rank 5 at the moment). Does anyone know where I could find the last two in the late game?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Played for a few hours. It's decent, I like it more than Hollow Knight visually and there's already more variety in the environments. The combat hasn't been hard at all, it's mostly just patience rather than speed or reactions. When in doubt just don't get greedy and wait to parry. It has a very generous window (even moreso with the item).

But this backtracking. Not good. Not at all. Only died like once but I can imagine as the platforming sections get more lethal it'll be a real pain to deal with. Also the story is all nonsense to me, not enjoying it all. Is it Catholic stuff? I've just started skipping through it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dmax3901 found him, he didnt give me anything tho? I thought for sure he
would jump, but I checked the patio below and nothing
:(

There's three things I need some help with:

- I found a chalice in the Desecrated Caverns, and I'm not sure what to do with it. The room it was in had three murals of a minotaur in it. What do I do?
- In the Archbishop Rooftops, there's a door in one of the elevator shafts. When I try dropping down, I instantly die. Is there a way to reach it?
- I'm missing two Mea Culpa upgrades (I'm at rank 5 at the moment). Does anyone know where I could find the last two in the late game?

Your first question is tied to your last question as its the item for the last mea culpa upgrade, you need
to kill enemies to fill it, but if you die it empties (lol)
Your second question, you need a relic to be able to
drop down pitts, and you need to have found 20 cherubs and then go to the room with the bull paiting in the sleeping canvasas to get the relic.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Your first question is tied to your last question as its the item for the last mea culpa upgrade, you need
drop down pitts, and you need to have found 20 cherubs and then go to the room with the bull paiting in the sleeping canvasas to get the relic.

Go back to the town ;)

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017

Apparently teleporting empties it too, just happened with me, ffs.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
How does this compare to something like Salt and Sanctuary?

it is a completely different game, you can´t develop your char as you like, it is all pre defined. and you have a Metroidvania style map where Salt and Sanctuary has no map at all.

that being said, i think Salt and Sanctuary is for sure better than Blasphemous.

Blasphemous is still a very solid game unfortunately let down by a few strange design decisions, sometimes finicky controls/platforming and repetitive combat (you only have a sword, there are no other weapons)

Also, Salt and Sanctuary felt more like a grand adventure in a gloomy world than Blasphemous. (might be my own preference as i really liked the world of S&S)

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
finished the game

and as i said i didn´t even find the NPC for more rosary slots...but in the end it wasn´t even needed lol. also, i didn´t find any health upgrades anymore after the third.

For the Rosary Slots you have to give some items to a caged soul in the lower part of the first area of the game. You get there from the most left-side part of the inverted bell area.

I'm 71% and I've found five or six health upgrades.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
it is a completely different game, you can´t develop your char as you like, it is all pre defined. and you have a Metroidvania style map where Salt and Sanctuary has no map at all.

that being said, i think Salt and Sanctuary is for sure better than Blasphemous.

Blasphemous is still a very solid game unfortunately let down by a few strange design decisions, sometimes finicky controls/platforming and repetitive combat (you only have a sword, there are no other weapons)

Also, Salt and Sanctuary felt more like a grand adventure in a gloomy world than Blasphemous. (might be my own preference as i really liked the world of S&S)

S&S had no map? I finished it (and loved it) but I could swear it had a map. Then again that shit was straight up a Dark Souls homage so I guess no map makes sense. I keep waiting for a Switch sale to double dip and replay it but it never happens :(

Anyone know what the quest item Dried Flowers bathed in Tears is for? its the only quest item I have left I havent used / know the purpose of. I got all the items for the true ending now so i'm just about ready to finish it.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This game is seriously pissing me off. It's too open from the beginning so you don't know what order you should be doing things. I get that it's somewhat freeform, but Souls at least limited you in where you could go early on. With this shit, I've been in like five or six areas and only beat one boss besides the two very early ones.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember which area has the Minotaur enemy is? It's the large, naked, statyesque foe with a bull for a head. I'm trying to finish this chalice mission.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone remember which area has the Minotaur enemy is? It's the large, naked, statyesque foe with a bull for a head. I'm trying to finish this chalice mission.

oooooooh does it only fill from those guys? Now that you mention it it did fill up when I killed those yeah. Wall of the Holy Prohibition (the jail area) had some didnt it?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
oooooooh does it only fill from those guys? Now that you mention it it did fill up when I killed those yeah. Wall of the Holy Prohibition (the jail area) had some didnt it?

There's three portraits in the room with the chalice. One Minotaur, a spear thrower, and stone axe wielder. You need to kill one enemy of each to fill the chalice. Without dying, and without using fast travel.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There's three portraits in the room with the chalice. One Minotaur, a spear thrower, and stone axe wielder. You need to kill one enemy of each to fill the chalice. Without dying, and without using fast travel.

that makes sense, who are the stone axe wielder? I remember stone mace guys with the coffin on their back. I assume spear guys are those jumpy fuckers.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've played this for a few hours, but am honestly not as into the game as I was hoping I'd be. The graphics are tremendous, and I love the weird religious themes, but it's just not that...fun? I'll power on a bit further in the hope that it will click, but compared to something like Hollow Knight this honestly feels a bit shallow and unengaging.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I've played this for a few hours, but am honestly not as into the game as I was hoping I'd be. The graphics are tremendous, and I love the weird religious themes, but it's just not that...fun? I'll power on a bit further in the hope that it will click, but compared to something like Hollow Knight this honestly feels a bit shallow and unengaging.

well, Hollow Knight is a very special game and among the best of the genre, Blasphemous doesn´t hold a candle to HK at all. games as good as HK don´t happen often.

but it is still a solid game when someone is into retro games, it feels like something out of the SNES era including some sloppy elements and finicky platforming bits which occured often in games back in the days.

i think it is a solid effort which could have been made better with a bit more focused gameplay elements and eventually a bit more dev time.(don´t know how long they have been developing this though)

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
How many missables are there in this game? In other words, can you get 100% no matter what you do? I'm still pretty early on. I don't mind time sensitive stuff, I just want to know if it's there.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a way to progress. I missed a little bit of Jondo. Finally made it to a new area. Now that I've got a huge health bar and 7 health potions lol

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Game is fantastic. Bouncing between this and Undertale and Dragon Quest XI and Banjo & Kazooie in Smash is an interesting experience, lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
well, Hollow Knight is a very special game and among the best of the genre, Blasphemous doesn´t hold a candle to HK at all. games as good as HK don´t happen often.

but it is still a solid game when someone is into retro games, it feels like something out of the SNES era including some sloppy elements and finicky platforming bits which occured often in games back in the days.

i think it is a solid effort which could have been made better with a bit more focused gameplay elements and eventually a bit more dev time.(don´t know how long they have been developing this though)

It's like the Dark Souls of Prince of Persia, but without being as good of a platformer. Hopefully in the patch they address the stickiness of your character and ledges, because right now the proximity is way too far. There's no left/right guiding your character as they fall around ledges, because he will always grab them without fail. There's also no simple way to drop straight down off of a ledge that you are already holding onto via hands or sword either.

They seemed to have wanted the game to be "hard", yet have these annoying training wheels on at all times. Why not simply make it so you have to hit jump or attack again to manually grab a ledge? You have to do that anyway for the sword ledges. Plenty of platformers and other action/adventure games have done this without any issue. Or at the very least, let us drop straight down when we want instead of having to rocket jump up at an angle and move the entire screen away?

And no, it doesn't hold a candle to my game of 2017. Still a solid effort, that can be made better through patching.

edit: Well WTF? Apparently sometimes, holding straight down on the dpad will actually allow your character to drop off. Funny how after the third time trying that, and it not working, I never bothered again.

Can I upgrade the amount each vial heals?
Because I have so much health now that they heal less than one 5th each.

Doesn't seem like you can, and it's kind of ridiculous. Late game, each hit you take actually does one vial's worth of damage.

I ran into this as well. The item doesn't seem to appear in your inventory. Can't see to find anything on it either.

It's just some tears of atonement. This game's currency. That's almost all the villagers ever give you. First time it happened to me as well, I was looking all through my inventory.

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I think I'm about 2-3 hours in, just got to my second boss (third I guess, if we count the tutorial boss) as I had to put the game down as I walked into my office. I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I definitely can see why people would not be into it. I think this game is best for someone who is playing it for the world, art, and lore first and foremost, and who's open to whatever type of gameplay the game's gonna throw at them; I think coming at it with some preconceived desires for what this game should be is going to be a recipe for disappointment. It's definitely in the Metroidvania vein, but I think the game is far more old-school in its mechanics than many of the upper echelon of the genre. The gameplay loop seems to revolve a lot around learning enemy attack and placement patterns as well as levels layouts as you traverse from one "bonfire" (I don't know what they're actually called in this game lol) to the next. It reminds me more of the ole' Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden in that regard, and not so much your post-Symphony of the Night stuff. It's a lot slower than most modern Metroidvania's and the platforming and enemy knockback/gotchas can definitely feel tedious and like some straight up BS at times, and the RPG elements feel very underplayed so far.

I dunno, like I said I can see why people wouldn't like this game, but for me the thing that keeps me going is seeing the next big, bloody, fucked up boss or cutscene where I can just marvel at the horror of the world the devs built. Really wish I had Kickstarted this because I would love to have that art book lol

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Despite the flaws, I'm enthralled with this game. The atmosphere, mood, and world of the game are so damn wonderfully portrayed that I'm finding myself forgiving some of the lesser gameplay bits.

Also, does anyone have a handy "guide" on where I can find each traversal powerup? I don't want to miss them, and I really don't feel like I'm going to find them naturally at this point since I'm 70% through the game and I haven't found any yet.