• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I love this game but some of the platforming and inconsistency of the combat (hitboxes, timings) is driving me nuts.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm stuck.

I got two masks from the archdeacons and then I got a cutscene but there's no where else to go that I can see.

Nevermind, I'm blind

Last edited:

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
That spot sucks. There are a lot of sore spots in the game for me, although I did end up liking it a lot overall. The instant death platforming parts kind of reminded me of the shittiest part of Dark Souls aka Anor Londo archers. That feeling of having zero room to screw up and having to go way back to a distant checkpoint to start again is something I loathe.

The Dark Souls Anor Londo reference is almost spot on. The way you feel you have been cheated by the system and you have to walk a long ass distance just to fail again. I'd think this spot in Blasphemous is even worse because you are fighting against multiple design decision;
- In Dark souls you have to fight the camera, instant death due to fall and arrow knock back.
- In Blasphemous you are fighting against the wind, the enemy that fly through walls and knock you back, the subpar platforming and poor decision to map the wall/sword grap with the attack button... meaning I have accidentally stick the sword to the wood plank while trying to hit the enemy inside the wall, only to get know down to the ground... then get knock back again by another enemy due to lack of i-frame, and ended up dying in the pit. Fuck this shit lol.

I have since then move onto underground bit which is better, but the above has left a very bad taste in my mouth. ;/

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The game is hard as fuck. Sometimes I have the feeling that I'm a kid again and I'm playing Chakan: The forever man.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
The Dark Souls Anor Londo reference is almost spot on. The way you feel you have been cheated by the system and you have to walk a long ass distance just to fail again. I'd think this spot in Blasphemous is even worse because you are fighting against multiple design decision;
- In Dark souls you have to fight the camera, instant death due to fall and arrow knock back.
- In Blasphemous you are fighting against the wind, the enemy that fly through walls and knock you back, the subpar platforming and poor decision to map the wall/sword grap with the attack button... meaning I have accidentally stick the sword to the wood plank while trying to hit the enemy inside the wall, only to get know down to the ground... then get knock back again by another enemy due to lack of i-frame, and ended up dying in the pit. Fuck this shit lol.

I have since then move onto underground bit which is better, but the above has left a very bad taste in my mouth. ;/
Same. Very frustrating area.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you know what I hated most about the snowy cliffs? Waiting for the stupid wind to change directions. I hate pretty much any traversal section that heavily involves standing and waiting for things. Platforms, moving hazards, etc.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just beat the game. I very much enjoyed the look, the lore, the combat, all that. But, frankly, I wish it wasn't a Metroidvania. Maybe it's an extension of the game's themes about penance, but the whole cleanup phase of the game feels like self-flagellation. I've played A LOT of games in this genre to 100% completion, and this is one in only a handful of times that I felt it just wasn't worth the trouble because of how obnoxious the backtracking is.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Got through the game pretty easy just saved it on the steps before the final boss. Well I guess it's the final boss will find out later. It's fantastic and makes deaths gambit look really poor in comparison. Loved the platforming but then again I'm the masochist that completes volgarr the Viking with one life. Feels pretty similar

Dec 6, 2017
US
So I have a question regarding the Library area:

"There's a room with three anatomy books, depicting a fibula, tibula and kneecap respectively"

I have no fucking idea what any of this means right now, is this yet another obscure-as-balls quest or will I run into its meaning at some point?

Also, I chose to put a certain someone out of their misery in the Cathedral area, am I fucked?

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
So I have a question regarding the Library area:

Also, I chose to put a certain someone out of their misery in the Cathedral area, am I fucked?

The anatomy books coincide with specific bones you can find out in the world. If you read their descriptions they give clues as to the solution of the puzzle. I'll spoiler the solution here:
Unequip everything, have a full bar of furvour, and stand still.

As for the certain someone, you didn't fuck yourself but now you've pushed a side quest to a possible fail-state and need to find the solution before it happens.

Solution:
You need to return to Albero and speak to the man in the window of the church, where you should receive the Cord of True Burying, or something like that. After which you will also need to have the Inquisitor's Key to open the gate, which can be purchased from a vendor in the Canvases area, as the priest that was with the woman locked themselves in the prison at the Holy Wall. Once you give the cord to the priest, the fail state is solved and the quest returns to normal, though still incomplete.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
The anatomy books coincide with specific bones you can find out in the world. If you read their descriptions they give clues as to the solution of the puzzle. I'll spoiler the solution here:

As for the certain someone, you didn't fuck yourself but now you've pushed a side quest to a possible fail-state and need to find the solution before it happens.

Solution:
You need to return to Albero and speak to the man in the window of the church, where you should receive the Cord of True Burying, or something like that. After which you will also need to have the Inquisitor's Key to open the gate, which can be purchased from a vendor in the Canvases area, as the priest that was with the woman locked themselves in the prison at the Holy Wall. Once you give the cord to the priest, the fail state is solved and the quest returns to normal, though still incomplete.

Thank you! Regarding the anatomy books, I actually wrote those down yesterday!!! However, I don't have the kneecap so I just gave up and thought yeah maybe this is a far fetched solution. Nope.

And Jesus, regarding the other one, I actually do occasionally return to the church window just for the sake of it but it's quite annoying that all these visits are essentially trial and error as none of the items seem to particularly allude to any details ever.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So I am experiencing a game breaking bug. I beat the boss in grievance ascends we both died at the same time and now I am locked in a room am I stuck until a patch or is their a fix?

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Solution:
I fucked this up, he jumped and now i cant complete this quest. Guessing the reward counts towards %? Im at 98.75%

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
That spot sucks. There are a lot of sore spots in the game for me, although I did end up liking it a lot overall. The instant death platforming parts kind of reminded me of the shittiest part of Dark Souls aka Anor Londo archers. That feeling of having zero room to screw up and having to go way back to a distant checkpoint to start again is something I loathe.

Yeah, I drew that exact same comparison while I was playing as well.

Cool game, tons and tons of potential and a lot there to love, but a real rough gem.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's at the highest point of the map for that area not counting the actual entrance. And follow the directions above. but specifically, from the entrance/save point:

Down -> Right -> Down -> Right -> Up -> Right -> Up

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
I fucked this up, he jumped and now i cant complete this quest. Guessing the reward counts towards %? Im at 98.75%

The completion% counter is kinda strange and it doesn't count everything correctly. It is likely that this is at least part of that missing %, though.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Two quick yes/no questions, one early/light mid-game spoiler:

1. If you beat the game, can you still run around and do 100%? Or does the game restarts automatically?

2. The guy who is leaning forward that you meet in Jondo. Is it possible to break his questline? I moved him from his initial position to where you have to break a wall, but i didnt break the wall before way later in the game (i think i only have the final boss left). He mention one location in the game, but i havnt found him there. No need for spoilers just yet, i'm just curious as a yes/no answer if hes anywhere to be found regardless of your progress in the game.

EDIT: I found the answer to my 2nd question by exploring the map more. The answer is yes.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Done everything I can. I'm at 99.75% after 19hours have all collectibles bar one rosary bead which is impossible to get cos I killed too many bosses before I finished the quest for the tree guy. Honestly fuck this

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Done everything I can. I'm at 99.75% after 19hours have all collectibles bar one rosary bead which is impossible to get cos I killed too many bosses before I finished the quest for the tree guy. Honestly fuck this

I'm missing this rosary knot, but my file is still 100%

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking the knot, not the bead. Though, I ended up still getting this bead even though I didn't do the quest correctly, iirc.

Two quick yes/no questions, one early/light mid-game spoiler:

Answer to 1 is yes, you can still run around.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
How do I run through the sewage in the desecrated cistern?
I have the silver lung but still walk slowly... what gives?

Edit nevermind figured it out

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Finished with 100% and both endings.

I thought 25$ was a bit much at the beginning but after playing through it I can safely say I got my monies worth. Probably the most beautiful indie game of this gen (if you dig the setting lol). The storytelling reminded me a lot of Dark Souls, nothing gets spoonfed to you and most of the story gets told through the items. There are some questionable design choices (like the overly wide gaps with spikes inbetween) but imo the rest of the game makes up for those.

One of the best things about this game is the soundtrack though. It really surprised me how good it is (especially the tracks towards the end). Looking forward to a sequel/DLC.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Just had to rage quit after falling down the same bottomless pit for the 8th time. Fun game but the platforming kind of sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Just had to rage quit after falling down the same bottomless pit for the 8th time. Fun game but the platforming kind of sucks.
One thing I kept thinking of was how unforgiving the jump mechanic is, combined with pits that are designed to be about the length of your optimal jump distance. There was a video by a Dead Cells dev that talked about how they made jumping feel better, and part of it was to allow the player to jump even if they were a few pixels past the edge of the platform. Blasphemous would have benefited from that, because the jump already feels a little laggy, and allowing the player to execute it just a fraction of a second later as they walk off a ledge would help.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, beat the final boss. Tough bastard.

Beautiful and challenging game, muddled by some absolutely tedious and frustrating platforming. They really should've given you some more leeway on the jumps and/or make falls only do big chunks of damage rather than kill you outright. Additionally, the recovery time on getting up from knockdown seems messed up. Seemingly got caught in enemy attack loops a few times.

By the way, is the enemy on the tutorial screen for the dash move in the game?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I ran into a game breaking bug 12 hours in that rolled back my level to 0. So my health bar, healing flasks, damage output etc. are back to their starting values. I'm so bummed because this game has been so good, but unless they can resolve this issue, it's going to be hard to restart this from the beginning, especially in fear of running into the bug again.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I ran into a game breaking bug 12 hours in that rolled back my level to 0. So my health bar, healing flasks, damage output etc. are back to their starting values. I'm so bummed because this game has been so good, but unless they can resolve this issue, it's going to be hard to restart this from the beginning, especially in fear of running into the bug again.

That sounds terrible , but also seems rare? I hope you can report the bug to the developers, if you're feeling like it.

Jan 11, 2018
Just beat it at about 85% completion with what I assume was the bad ending. Final boss wasn't that bad... took me maybe 20-30 mins to beat him. Not sure if I'll bother with all the collectables. The game was a mixed bag for me. The art, music, story, and overall vibe of the game was really awesome, and most the boss fights were really well done and extremely fun. However the level design, world design, movement, combat mechanics and general enemy encounters left something to be desired.

Jul 10, 2018
That sounds terrible , but also seems rare? I hope you can report the bug to the developers, if you're feeling like it.

It's been reported to the devs on Steam. From the looks of it, it is rare-ish? But enough people have reported it for the devs to take notice, all they've said is that they're looking for solutions.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it yesterday with both endings around 90% completion and I really enjoyed my time with this game. There were some weirdly tight jumps here and there, but other than that I have only good things to say about the game.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game with 100%. A really great game! Probably sank like 30 hours into it. Now i will see if i will take the time to rack up the last trophies. Not using any health flasks on any of the bosses might be difficult for me, especially on the last boss.

Speaking of trophies, is the Perfect Riposte trophy bugged? I press the block function at the right time, giving a counter attack. I've done this a lot more than 5 times (which the trophy description says is needed), still it havnt popped. Or am i doing something wrong?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm sitting at like 80% completion roughly right now and getting around the world is excruciating sometimes. The fast travel mirror spacing is...something else. I would've much preferred if they had structured this like Odallus, Metroidvania but level and map based.

PS: I rage quit when I did, what I had assumed, was that chalice quest of killing those three enemies and after all that wasted time "nothing happened". Google it and oh yeah, you arbitrarily can't use fast travel and nothing hints at that that I'm aware of. Just fucking whatever at that point.

Last edited:

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to start playing this (currently at 48%) and there is something really weird going on with the controls: some actions feel really off, like there is some kind of input lag mixed with questionable hitboxes. Its like the character gets stuck to the ground, and it is a bit jarring.

Other than that, i'm enjoying it.

The pixel art is really well done.

Last edited:

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Speaking of trophies, is the Perfect Riposte trophy bugged? I press the block function at the right time, giving a counter attack. I've done this a lot more than 5 times (which the trophy description says is needed), still it havnt popped. Or am i doing something wrong?

There's actually a powered up version of the counter attack called the Righteous Riposte, which you can do by tapping the attack button just as your counter attack connects with the enemy. I didn't know this until I looked into it after I had completed 100%.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Can anyone tell me what the small red swirls in the air mean? I see them at random places and it looks like you can interact with them, but I have zero clue with what.

I feel like I'm playing this wrong since I feel like I'm a good way in the game, but still overall clueless on things.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the small red swirls in the air mean? I see them at random places and it looks like you can interact with them, but I have zero clue with what.

I feel like I'm playing this wrong since I feel like I'm a good way in the game, but still overall clueless on things.

You have to activate them by equipping the Blood Perpetuated in Sand relic, which is located through the locked door near the very start of the game, and the key is for sale in one of the early store locations.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
You have to activate them by equipping the Blood Perpetuated in Sand relic, which is located through the locked door near the very start of the game, and the key is for sale in one of the early store locations.
thank you very much, so of course, I would miss something so early

I have like four later areas that I wasn't able to advance because of that lol

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Finished this over the weekend with Ending A and roughly 95% completion.

Over time I warmed up to a lot of the idiosyncrasies but there are just as many that bothered me more and more as I played. The platforming is nowhere near as polished as it needs to be, the exploration and mobility around the world is as tedious as it gets, and the game has so many bugs and technical issues that seem like they should've been fixed well before release but somehow weren't. Falling through platforms, being stuck to them and forced to reload, crashes to desktop, freezing, major slowdown in a couple significant bossfights, dying despite having health left, and wonky collision and hitbox issues abound. The decision not to give iframes on recovery is bizarre as well but small potatoes in the scheme of things.

There's loads of room for improvement and the developers have been commenting on steam reviews stating they're taking all these criticisms to heart so I'm optimistic that it can end up in a better place in the long run, but I'm not very impressed with where the game's currently at. Kinda walked away feeling it was a middle of the road metroidvania carried hard by gorgeous art, strong atmosphere and a few great boss fights (Quirce, Charred Visage, Crisanta). Hopefully in the future I can say it's a great one.

Edit:

Oh, and Crisanta's voice acting is terrible. A lot of the voice acting in the game is pretty bad but I burst out laughing when she started talking the first time. The stonefaced seriousness of the game is completely at odds with how goofy she sounds and whatever tension they were going for was completely lost on me in both the preamble to her fight and the post-game voiceover.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
PS: I rage quit when I did, what I had assumed, was that chalice quest of killing those three enemies and after all that wasted time "nothing happened". Google it and oh yeah, you arbitrarily can't use fast travel and nothing hints at that that I'm aware of. Just fucking whatever at that point.
It does tell you when you use fast travel. I didnt notice it at first (either i died and that also resets the challenge, i simply didnt pay enough attention, or it bugged out), but then i used fast travel again, there is a message that says something like "fast travel resetted the chalice". I think if you click on one on the action buttons right when you get out of the fast travel, the message disappear at once, so its easy to miss it.

EDIT: I checked my earlier capture of it (the message flashed kinda fast, so i made a capture of it to check it again), and its possible that the message is just on screen for about a second or so regardless of what you press. Heres what the message says at least:

taGry6W.jpg

There's actually a powered up version of the counter attack called the Righteous Riposte, which you can do by tapping the attack button just as your counter attack connects with the enemy. I didn't know this until I looked into it after I had completed 100%.
Oh, i didnt know that. I'll check into it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
thank you very much, so of course, I would miss something so early

I have like four later areas that I wasn't able to advance because of that lol
The red platforms aren't required to beat the game, I think. They mostly lead to items or are just helpful additions (like extra cover on some spike traps).