• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
gBwoC20.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch
Release Date:
July 11th, 2019​
Genre: Action
Price: €16.99/$16.99
Player(s): 1-2 (local only at launch)
Format: Digital (Limited Run Games physical release later)
Developer: JoyMasher
Publisher: The Arcade Crew
Size: ~100MB

kSfuKxk.png

What is Blazing Chrome?
Blazing Chrome is a level-based, side-scrolling action game in the vein of the Contra series. You either play solo or co-op to tackle a variety of stages and enemies in order to save humankind.

Online co-op?
Not at launch but online support is coming in the game's first post-release update.

Any unlockables?
There are two additional characters and a boss rush mode you can unlock in Blazing Chrome.

Easy mode?
Yes.

So it's just composed of side-scrolling stages?
No. Like the Contra series there are some stages that switch the perspective.

Display options?
You can pick from the following...

1cGixIS.png

Game Pass?
Yes. If you are a subscriber of Game Pass on either PC or Xbox One you can play the game as part of that service.

Any chance of a physical release?
Yes. Limited Run Games will be releasing a physical version of the game in Q4 of 2019.

Kq76WbY.png

ss_add23d42e3ed124f284ffd1ec893b338ebc6f942.600x338.jpg
ss_f4b7c79eda82e04c8fb14e39e243f36c29e8b332.600x338.jpg

ss_b311215c8a48934e4628d830d9c6403fa142a6c1.600x338.jpg
ss_43152195858e33f3cd9d0a5fe2ec2dfa104a91f5.600x338.jpg

goIkRRf.png

Metacritic

NintendoLife 9/10
For those longing for a time when side-scrolling shooters ruled the roost, Blazing Chrome is exactly what you're looking for. Perfect for short sessions, its slick gameplay and old-school art direction make for an astonishingly fun game full of explosions, epic set pieces and spectacular boss battles. Its brutal difficulty may not be for everyone, but if you're up for the challenge, then get ready for one of the most accomplished 2D action titles in years.

Saving Content 4/5
lazing Chrome is my favorite from JoyMasher yet, and it is on-par with the challenge of their other releases. This is a 16-bit game with an 8-bit challenge that makes for an instant classic. In turn, it stays authentic to the era in terms of difficulty, presentation, and feel. In Blazing Chrome's case, this is an exciting game that nails the era with an 80s and 90s feel that's perfectly complimented by its gameplay and even end-credits song.

The Indie Game Website 8/10
If you want a new Contra game, that's exactly what Blazing Chrome promises and delivers. Joymasher has done this better than any indie developer I can think of, bringing Contra back with absolutely everything that entails.

VBi3dVL.png

Official site
Free prequel comic

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Game looks sweet. I saw it on game pass and was excited. It has Metroidvania elements right?

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
I'm waiting for impressions on how the Switch version runs, been looking forward to this game, it looks great.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
I'm all in for this one, been waiting for it since i saw the 1st announcents. Sprite work, gameplay and OST is very much to my liking...lets go!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so damn crisp. My best friend is doing the soundtrack for this, it's been a treat to see him work on it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Looking forward to this. Looks very much like a blend between Contra III and Hard Corps.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Hm. I didn't know Joymasher by name but I just realized I know their games. I didn't like Oniken but I thought Odallus was decent. I'm lowering my expectations a bit.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I didn't know Joymasher by name but I just realized I know their games. I didn't like Oniken but I thought Odallus was decent. I'm lowering my expectations a bit.

If it makes you feel better, this is their biggest production to date and also their longest game in development. I loved both games you mentioned though, so I already have high hopes for this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of their previous games, but having played this I can safely say it captures the old-school Contra feel wonderfully. I think anyone that's been itching for a pure throwback will find plenty to love here.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
GamePass keep on giving. I think my kid is going to download it. Diff checking it out

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It looks cool and I love that they're specifically riffing on Hard Corps, but I've been cold on Joymasher's other games. I always love the stuff that they are inspired by, but then what they actually produces feels a little half-baked or first draft-y. Not bad, just never lives up to its potential. I'll give this a chance at some point, though.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly haven't played through Odallus and Oniken, but this looks real fucking good and I can't wait.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've been waiting for this for so long, it feels like. I loved what I played at PAX South and even getting a firm release date had me slightly worried. It felt fairly complete at the time. I greatly appreciate that it plays more like Contra with some smallish Metal Slug elements in it than some weird mishmash of the two systems that just doesn't work.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy here we go I have been waiting for this since it was announced, periodically checking in on it. And the soundtrack sounds gooood!

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to buy this but then I got announced for Gamepass, great service that continues to deliver.