• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't showing up in the store on my console and I can't get it to install from the website either. I'm hitting 'install to my devices' and it's telling me that it's trying to install on my Xbox but I'm getting nothing coming through on my console.

Weird.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
is there an easy mode for people like me who suck at this sort of game? It's on Game Pass so I'll still give it a shot anyway
Their is an easy mode, you get an extra 2 lives (7 compared to 5 on normal) and a few extra weapon and bot drops spawn. That said the game isn't hugely easier on easy mode given you are still playing through the same content and those lives can go very quick if you struggle with Contra style games. Certainly worth given a try on Game Pass though.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Their is an easy mode, you get an extra 2 lives (7 compared to 5 on normal) and a few extra weapon and bot drops spawn. That said the game isn't hugely easier on easy mode given you are still playing through the same content and those lives can go very quick if you struggle with Contra style games. Certainly worth given a try on Game Pass though.
even easy mode still has finite lives? Yeah, this probably isn't for me but I'll try it anyway

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
dang it, money's pretty tight here now and even 16 bucks is kind of a crazy luxury, but ive had my eye on this one and id love something to mess around with on my PS4 for some comfy couch co-op with the fiancee to help blow off steam... maybe i can dip into savings a little bit. looks fantastic.

as an aside, it seems super obvious to me (and maybe im wrong) and i love that the two main characters seem based on Briareos and Deunan from Appleseed.

Good call friend! My absolute favorite anime and manga... all the more reason to jump into this game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's up now for us Xbros. Searched for it via the store interface on the console and I'm installing it right now with Game Pass.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on pc and I can't shoot diagonally with the DS4 dpad, only with the stick. Does this happen to anyone else?

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017
Purchased for both PS4 and Switch.

I must say that I'm disappointed in the switch port. I noticed missing frames and lack of bullet shells when firing right off the bat.

Jul 5, 2018

I must say that I'm disappointed in the switch port. I noticed missing frames and lack of bullet shells when firing right off the bat.

Still trying to decide between PS4 and Switch myself, are we talking handheld mode or docked as far as the missing frames and effects (I'm gonna assume it's more than just the shells)?

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any impressions on how the pacing compares to Contra? is this a 20-30 minute game that I can enjoy buckling down with and trying to 1CC like Contra Spirits?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Aw, damn. I was gonna get it on Switch, but now I'll probably pass altogether. Are all of the visual filters available in the Switch version?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to decide between PS4 and Switch myself, are we talking handheld mode or docked as far as the missing frames and effects (I'm gonna assume it's more than just the shells)?
The Switch port is outsourced based on the game's credits and it features some bugs (high intensity frame drops and no drop shadows on the characters for instance). I believe it'll be patched and the issues are mostly minor so it's by no means a bad experience but the PS4 version overall runs better if you have the option and if handheld isn't important.

vertti

Oct 27, 2017
The Game Pass PC version is broken. Everything is sped up like 5x so playing is impossible. I've tried few things but no dice.

Anyone else having this same problem?

NewAgeOfAces

Dec 5, 2017

I was playing docked. And yeah the game was ported to switch by a different team. The Game is amazing but if you are only planning on purchasing for switch you may want to wait and see if the issues are patched.

Aw, damn. I was gonna get it on Switch, but now I'll probably pass altogether. Are all of the visual filters available in the Switch version?

Yeah all of the visual filters are there.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Oniken is slow as balls with tremendously unsatisfying damage feedback, and it released on Switch with broken cut-scenes that were completely missing dialogue.

Well, fully disagreed on Oniken, I enjoyed the pacing on it and didn't have a problem with any of the mechanics. As for the Switch release, did it get fixed? I'm not at all a fan of buggy releases, I'd played on PC and never experienced any issues. I wouldn't hold up issues from one port as evidence to support a claim that a game isn't good.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch port is outsourced based on the game's credits and it features some bugs (high intensity frame drops and no drop shadows on the characters for instance). I believe it'll be patched and the issues are mostly minor so it's by no means a bad experience but the PS4 version overall runs better if you have the option and if handheld isn't important.

JoyMasher is 0 for 3 on quality Switch ports. I'm definitely waiting to purchase this now.

Edit - anyone play the XB1 version? Maybe I'll grab that.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018

I was playing docked. And yeah the game was ported to switch by a different team. The Game is amazing but if you are only planning on purchasing for switch you may want to wait and see if the issues are patched.

Thanks ya'll, just bought the PS4 version. Good looking out.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched some Switch footage. There are no shadows under the player or enemies lol

They have shadows in the tutorial video though at the start

how do you screw something like this up

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Only three of those filters should be allowed to exist. Vaseline smearing of sprites should go extinct!

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
The review embargo is up and I can finally say that

THIS IS MY FAVORITE CONTRA STYLE RUN N' GUN GAME IN OVER 20 YEARS!!

There are so few games that so perfectly recapture what was lost about the series they pull inspiration from. The visuals, the music, the gameplay. All of it is air tight. It has perfect difficulty balance that allows it to play how you REMEMBER playing Contra felt like rather than what it actually feels like to revisit (unless you're playing on Hardcore difficulty). It constantly surprised and wowed me as I beat it in my several hour long first sitting...

Then I immediately jumped back in.

So much care and love went into this. It absolutely deserves a full purchase and several playthroughs with friends. Buy buy buy

Full review at 18:42 in the newest Pocketoid episode if you're interested!

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This definitely isn't a successor to Hard Corps, despite the thread title and general look of the game, so I wouldn't go in expecting that.
I guess I'm just not sure what this is then. It sounds like a slightly easier Contra, but I was expecting more direct influence gameplay wise.

Thank you for all your info, I appreciate it.