• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
^ Interesting. I was annoyed at the lack of i-frames on the roll at first, but after finishing the game a bunch of times I think I like it more the way it is now. I kind of feel like adding i-frames would make a lot of areas and bosses too easy.

No word about the leaderboards/trophies not working? Or is that what they mean by "score problems"?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Got this game yesterday sorta by accident lol.

Was meaning to test if my CC was working properly but ended up purchasing this game.

It's cool cuz I wanted it and planned on getting it any way but I expected another screen asking me to confirm first lol.

I actually started this game on EASY just to get a hang of the game first since I heard it was very hard. It was still a challenge on EASY lol, and I've played tons of Classic Contra. I've been playing Contra 1, Super C, and 3 lately thanks to the collection on Switch.

Love the graphics, music, and weapons. Definitely a fun game.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The area before the water boss in area five is starting to wear on me.

I've officially decided the roll is completely fucking useless and keep trying to fall through platforms by pressing down + B and it is making me angry.

edit: now the (hopefully) finally boss is making me angry and also roll my eyes.

Time for a break, I think

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the level 5 and I liked the game but not that much.
It looks great but platforming feels awkward, close combat is unreliable, bosses aren't great and music is a disappointment.
Still fun though

Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes are still king to me.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
annnnd finished on normal.

Final boss gave me more trouble than it perhaps should have. I was having a real tough time so I just stopped for a bit and came back and got it done.

Fantastic game. Was worth the wait for me.

I still stand by my thoughts that the roll is near useless, but I'm also not some crazy skilled player either, so maybe some people are making great use of it somehow.

Can we all talk about that credits sequence yet lol

Fucking amazing.

My favorite closing credits/song in a loooong time. Loved that so much.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Playing on pc and I can't shoot diagonally with the DS4 dpad, only with the stick. Does this happen to anyone else?

I'm also having this problem. I'm assuming you're playing through the Windows Store or Xbox Game Pass app? I also had this issue with Marvel v Capcom Infinite. It's like with random games on the Windows store version the diagonals don't register on the d-pad, while other games like The Messenger are perfectly fine in the Windows store version.

This never seems to happen on the steam version of any games for me. I use DS4 controller for everything.

It basically makes games unplayable for me and I've spent hours searching on the internet and finding tons of threads on reddit and other forums where people randomly run into this and ask this same question about why the d-pad diagonals aren't registering in a Windows store version of a game and I've never found one post where anyone ever found a solution. Doesn't matter if you're running native, bluetooth, wired, Input mapper, DS4Windows, every app works perfect in the app which makes sense because when running a steam or non-windows store version of a game the controller and its diagonals are inputting fine, but for some reason when a game boots through the windows store something screws with the d-pad diagonals on only certain games and it's just ???

Incredibly frustrating. I wish I had the tech knowledge to breakdown and diagnose this issue to discover what exactly is going on.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Got the game through Game Pass, finished it on Easy, and overall enjoyed it enough as to recommend it to some nostalgic friends. It is a solid, faithful homage to the early nineties, but Alien Soldier this is not.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Yesterday I started the gamed and beat Mission 1 & 2 on normal. I'll admit that the game is difficult for me. Mission 2 took me 30 minutes to complete with multiple continues.

However, the game overall is fun and the controls are tight. I loved how the first cutscene ended with the main character saying "Let's blaze some chrome."

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'm also having this problem. I'm assuming you're playing through the Windows Store or Xbox Game Pass app? I also had this issue with Marvel v Capcom Infinite. It's like with random games on the Windows store version the diagonals don't register on the d-pad, while other games like The Messenger are perfectly fine in the Windows store version.

This never seems to happen on the steam version of any games for me. I use DS4 controller for everything.

It basically makes games unplayable for me and I've spent hours searching on the internet and finding tons of threads on reddit and other forums where people randomly run into this and ask this same question about why the d-pad diagonals aren't registering in a Windows store version of a game and I've never found one post where anyone ever found a solution. Doesn't matter if you're running native, bluetooth, wired, Input mapper, DS4Windows, every app works perfect in the app which makes sense because when running a steam or non-windows store version of a game the controller and its diagonals are inputting fine, but for some reason when a game boots through the windows store something screws with the d-pad diagonals on only certain games and it's just ???

Incredibly frustrating. I wish I had the tech knowledge to breakdown and diagnose this issue to discover what exactly is going on.

Holy crap, now I know why this game is way too hard for me. Been playing with the 8bitdo Genny pad. Might have to move to the Xbox One controller for this to play with a stick.

GreenRoomSurf

Jul 17, 2019
Anyone having big hitching/freezing issues on the PC Game Pass version? It would constantly freeze by about a second, making it virtually unplayable.
YES!!!! I have 2 windows 10 pc and they both have that issue. On Xbox it's fine, but on PC (thru Gamepass) It's unplayable because of the hitching.
What is so frustrating is that I have not been able to find anyone else who has the same issue or a fix.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I actually beat this, hahahaha. Mission 6 was AMAZING! I was grinning like a moron all the way through.

RULES OF NATURE

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Playing on pc and I can't shoot diagonally with the DS4 dpad, only with the stick. Does this happen to anyone else?

Hah, I thought it was just me. I'm using a Switch Pro on the Xbox PC Game Pass app. Yup, my sticks work fine but the Dpad does not. Weird.

I assume then it's a problem with the actual Blazing Chrome game and not our computers.

superturbo

Oct 27, 2017
YES!!!! I have 2 windows 10 pc and they both have that issue. On Xbox it's fine, but on PC (thru Gamepass) It's unplayable because of the hitching.
What is so frustrating is that I have not been able to find anyone else who has the same issue or a fix.
Someone mentioned earlier if you're playing on high refresh rate monitor try limiting your refresh rate to 60 hertz. Fixed the issues I was having with stuttering.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this game in 1 sitting on Normal for my 1st time playing it around 2 hours or so...it's so good, but that melee system needs work. I still want more games like this though.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this a few days ago and started playing last night. I thought it would be straight up Genesis Hard Corps, but it's more like Hard Corps + Uprising + Contra III. It plays like Contra III + Hard Corps, and that desert stage with the sandworms is straight out of Hard Corps Uprising. I've been playing on normal, and I've beaten stages 1 and 2. I really like it. I'm not a big fan of the special weapons, though. I've seen a laser, grenade launcher, purple flamethrower, and something else.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I started the gamed and beat Mission 1 & 2 on normal. I'll admit that the game is difficult for me. Mission 2 took me 30 minutes to complete with multiple continues.

However, the game overall is fun and the controls are tight. I loved how the first cutscene ended with the main character saying "Let's blaze some chrome."
Really? I didn't think it was that bad, I only used 2 continues. But yeah, the game is really fun still.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
On my 1st run I used like 20 some continues, on my 2nd run I used 3...what a massive difference!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Late to the party with this game, didn´t read the thread so far.

I am a massive contra fan and shmup gamer and this game is a severe letdown. Basically, they nailed the looks but the game itself is nowhere near Contra quality wise. there are many things that are just not done well.

The fact that you do a dodgeroll when this command is meant to let you fall through ledges is really annoying, the dodgeroll doesn´t even make much sense in this game. the jumping feels not good at all because you don´t roll when you jump like in a contra game, the popcorn enemies take too many hits and sometimes get you even when you are firing on all cylinders.

Furthermore, there is no flow to the shooting, the game stops you too often to change the area or introduce one of the mediocre mini bosses, it just doesn´t feel like "yeah, action!" it feels more like "go on, why do i have to wait again?". The bosses are disappointing too, they don´t have enough attacks, the best one was the one on the train where the sun goes down in the background.

The whole Space Harrier like stage fits none in this game and is boring as hell.

The motorbike levels are no fun at all, the fifth stage is pure filler in the snow environment. The last stage is meant to be some kind of bossrush but the impact is diminished because on normal it saves after every boss. The final boss was a snoozefest.

For a good player the game is too easy on normal but you have to play normal to unlock hardcore. The two characters you unlock are the antithesis to a run and gun, who wants a melee character in such a game? feels wasted.

i was really looking forward to this game but it just doesn´t feel good in many areas. i might be in a minority but i thought Hard Corps Uprising is leagues better than this game.

6,5/10 because music and visuals are really well done.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat it on normal after beating easy, which wasn't that easy. I thought it was hard as hell, but not like Uprising or Genesis HC hard because of how the checkpoints work. I like that it's not set up like an arcade game, though. That first snow section on the vehicle was by far the hardest thing for me.

I never did like the weapons. The best one is the drone, which is not actually one of the special weapons.

I also found rolling to be more annoying than useful. Sometimes, I wanted to shoot down diagonally while running and then jump, but just ended up rolling to my death. Not being able to fall through platforms also sucks.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat it on normal after beating easy, which wasn't that easy. I thought it was hard as hell, but not like Uprising or Genesis HC hard because of how the checkpoints work. I like that it's not set up like an arcade game, though. That first snow section on the vehicle was by far the hardest thing for me.

I never did like the weapons. The best one is the drone, which is not actually one of the special weapons.

I also found rolling to be more annoying than useful. Sometimes, I wanted to shoot down diagonally while running and then jump, but just ended up rolling to my death. Not being able to fall through platforms also sucks.
Give hardcore a chance, it has only 3 continues and more enemies are added, plus bosses attack faster too. And yeah the snow section on Mission 5 is one of the hardest things in the game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Literally the one thing I can't stand about this game. Should have been its own button. But I honestly don't know why its in the game to begin with, The dash that the "melee" characters have make much more sense. Theres like only one place I've bothered to use the roll and thats to cleanly avoid the sword attack from the Stage 6 final boss in its first phase.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the first level and something felt off. I haven't played a game like this since the snes/genesis days, but I had a hard time seeing stuff killing me. Maybe too many effects going with explosions and whatnot

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the one thing I can't stand about this game. Should have been its own button. But I honestly don't know why its in the game to begin with, The dash that the "melee" characters have make much more sense. Theres like only one place I've bothered to use the roll and thats to cleanly avoid the sword attack from the Stage 6 final boss in its first phase.
I would say it's required for some of the mini bosses, definitely the ones where it's best to roll under them.
I tried the first level and something felt off. I haven't played a game like this since the snes/genesis days, but I had a hard time seeing stuff killing me. Maybe too many effects going with explosions and whatnot
That's odd, I never had trouble like that with the 1st stage.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like all Joymasher's games have had the same issue where they come out, there's a lot of sloppiness or weird oversights regarding player movement and they eventually fix them once people have adequately explained what they did wrong. Having a publisher and a lot of pre-release press, events, etc this time around doesn't seem to have made a huge difference, sadly.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Late to the party with this game, didn´t read the thread so far.

I am a massive contra fan and shmup gamer and this game is a severe letdown. Basically, they nailed the looks but the game itself is nowhere near Contra quality wise. there are many things that are just not done well.

The fact that you do a dodgeroll when this command is meant to let you fall through ledges is really annoying, the dodgeroll doesn´t even make much sense in this game. the jumping feels not good at all because you don´t roll when you jump like in a contra game, the popcorn enemies take too many hits and sometimes get you even when you are firing on all cylinders.

Furthermore, there is no flow to the shooting, the game stops you too often to change the area or introduce one of the mediocre mini bosses, it just doesn´t feel like "yeah, action!" it feels more like "go on, why do i have to wait again?". The bosses are disappointing too, they don´t have enough attacks, the best one was the one on the train where the sun goes down in the background.

The whole Space Harrier like stage fits none in this game and is boring as hell.

The motorbike levels are no fun at all, the fifth stage is pure filler in the snow environment. The last stage is meant to be some kind of bossrush but the impact is diminished because on normal it saves after every boss. The final boss was a snoozefest.

For a good player the game is too easy on normal but you have to play normal to unlock hardcore. The two characters you unlock are the antithesis to a run and gun, who wants a melee character in such a game? feels wasted.

i was really looking forward to this game but it just doesn´t feel good in many areas. i might be in a minority but i thought Hard Corps Uprising is leagues better than this game.

6,5/10 because music and visuals are really well done.
Well this summarize the game for me. I didn't like the music though and I might add, the "3 level jump" is also annoying. I did like the Ninja character though

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Ok, so I just tried this on Xbox game pass and something's bothering me: input lag.

It's not my TV: Guacamelee 2 is 4k and super responsive. DMCV is 4k HDR and super responsive.

I'll look into that when I have time, but this is really disappointing

EDIT:
NEVERMIND: Turns out the issue was actually it NOT being HDR, which had the TV switche to a silly new picture mode that had all the bullshit smooth motion crap enabled which was causing the noticeable lag.
Game is as responsive as your TV allows it to be, but coming from the classics this does feel a bit off. Jumping mostly, but there's more. I'll reserve judgement until i've played some more, but it doesn't feel quite right

Last edited: