• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
yQ31IzO.png

Welcome to the Bleeding Edge review thread. As a multiplayer game, we're expecting reviews to drop in slowly this week. With a couple of reviews-in-progress too. I'll try and update this thread throughout the week.

Launch trailer

Bleeding Edge is available on Xbox One, Windows 10, Steam and Xbox Game Pass.

Oh and don't forget to check out the ResetEra Bleeding Edge OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/bleeding-edge-ot-hack-and-slash-chaos.176398/page-3#post-30185693

Video Reviews:

Reviews:
Destructoid - 6.5/10
There's a decent multiplayer action game concept buried in here, absolutely. Some of these characters deserve to live on in future projects. At the same time, it feels like there are only so many team dynamics to experience. It's all too fleeting. Once you've hit that point of no return, there's no real motivation to continue. I'd like to pick this back up one day, but realistically, I don't see that happening.

Stevivor Review-in-progress - Score coming
While objectives are straightforward, it's teamwork that generally lets a team down. From my playthroughs, you can almost immediately identify a team that will work at a unit – or, ideally, in a handful of coordinated ones – compared to teams with individuals that will rush to an objective with a strategy in mind. Games where individuals are blindly rushing at a group of bad guys are frustrating beyond belief, and sadly, they're happening often at this point.

XboxEra - 7.5/10
The foundation of this game feels very solid and makes me optimistic for the post-launch support of the game. New characters, new maps and new modes will definitely keep this game alive. That being said, I think it's fairly obvious that the game won't reach the same heights as something like Overwatch. The game is specifically focused on a very niche audience that is interested in both melee-focused action games and multiplayer PvP-experiences.

Eurogamer - No score
Bleeding Edge could be on to something with meaningful updates, but at launch it's Xbox Game Pass filler at best.

Metro.co.uk 7/10
It often feels a little undercooked but the emphasis on teamplay and some very unusual characters offers an enjoyable alternative to other online multiplayer games.

IGN - 7/10
While tinkering with character builds and clashing swords amidst exciting team fights is fun, Bleeding Edge left me wanting more as the hours piled up. Matches frequently devolve into unbalanced, frustrating messes thanks to no role queue, and ranged combat is devoid of all the bits that make team fights enjoyable. Every issue I had with the initial beta is here in the final release, only exacerbated further as my patience for its problems was whittled away to nothingness. At its best, Bleeding Edge is a glorious back-and-forth contest of fisticuffs, but these lingering faults keep me from wanting to stick with it.

PCGamer - 5.8/10
The bright side of Bleeding Edge's simplicity is accessibility. New players might have a hard time playing a squishy support that can't fight back, but anyone with a hero game under their belt can read a fighter's description and quickly recognize the role. I just have a hard time imagining Bleeding Edge becoming anyone's 'main' game when there are lots of games that are more fun, engaging, and already have millions of invested players. Things might be different if Bleeding Edge were free-to-play, but it's $30 on Steam if you're not an Xbox Game Pass subscriber. It was easy to find matches during launch week, but that could change as the weeks go on.

It's clear that Ninja Theory has plans to stick with Bleeding Edge: The official website already lists a new fighter (a dolphin in a mechanized water tank named Mekko) and art for an additional map. I'll be keeping an eye on Bleeding Edge to see what other bizarre character designs they cook up, but it'd take a huge overhaul of the combat to get me back on board. Barring that, I'm not hopeful for its future.

ComicBook.com - 6/10
In its current state, Bleeding Edge isn't nearly enough to set the multiplayer world on fire, but there is absolutely room for things to grow. The character designs are largely delightful, and the gameplay becomes more promising once you get the hang of it. Sure, the game almost feels like a parody of similar titles, but after you put more time into it, you begin to gradually see its own potential. There's definitely a good foundation in place with Bleeding Edge, but it might be worth waiting for a few updates to see if it really finds its footing.

Hobby Consolas (Spanish) - 7.2/10

GOTgame 7.5/10

AltChar - 7/10

IGN Brasil (Portugese) - 7.5/10

Laptopmag - 7/10

Gameliner.NL (Dutch) - 6/10

IGN Italia (Italian) - 7.5/10

Spaziogames (Italian) - 7.3/10

TrueAchievements - 7/10

IGN España (Spanish) - 7/10

IGN Portugal (Portugese) - 7/10

Twinfinite - 6/10

Eurogamer Italy (Italian) - 7/10

Tuttotek (Italian) 7/10

ThisGenGaming 7.5/10

Attack of the Fanboy 6/10

GamingBolt 7/10

Gamereactor Español (Spanish) 7/10

NaviGames (Spanish) - 8.5/10

Gamerheadquarters 6.7/10

TheGamesMachine (Italian) 6.8/10

Game Revolution 6/10

NerdBunker (Portugese) - No score

Vandal (Spanish) 7.5/10

TheXboxHub - 9/10

Cheat Code Central 5/10

inthegame.nl (Dutch) 9/10

CriticalHits (Portugese) - 7.5/10

GamersGlobal (German) 7/10

GameKult (French) - 7/10

Gamereactor.EU - 7/10

AreaJugones (Spanish) - 7.3/10

KeenGamer 7/10

JeuxActu (French) - 6.5/10

PixelArts (Persian) 7/10

XboxMag (French) 6/10

Game-experience.it (Italian) 6.5/10

Leak (Portugese) - 8/10

GamingGuardian (Spanish) - 6/10

Somos Xbox (Spanish) - 7.7/10

Xbox Dynasty (German) 6.8/10

TheEnemy (Portugese) - 6/10

The Effect - 7/10

Well-Played.com.au - 7/10

mkaugaming - 7/10

Gamermag (Russian) 6/10

TheSixthAxis - 7/10

NewGameNetwork - 6.7/10

TheGamer.com 6/10

PCGames.de (German) 6/10

Den Of Geek 6/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MetaCritic (Xbox One) 69
MetaCritic (PC) 63
OpenCritic: 66

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Had a good time in the beta, will check it out on gamepass since I'm not someone who sticks around multiplayer games long.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'd imagine 70 average and little in the way of success, unfortunately. Seems like there's no chatter about this at all and with the current crop of big releases, this is getting swallowed up.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
How has someone already reviewed the game with servers going live today? Horrible, horrible practice by that first website listed. Also, can you really say a game is bad when people don't play as a team? The reviews for this game will be really interesting.
IGN did a Bleeding Edge review-in-progress a few weeks ago. They gave it a 7.

Without the game being out? IGN continues to show why it should no longer be taken seriously.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How has someone already reviewed the game with servers going live today? Horrible, horrible practice by that first website listed. Also, can you really say a game is bad when people don't play as a team? The reviews for this game will be really interesting.

Without the game being out? IGN continues to show why it should no longer be taken seriously.

To be honest, the betas and the full game don't differ that much. So people could've played for plenty of hours already.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can measure my hype level as - I only remembered it was coming out when I saw Samurai Showdown was on EGS yesterday morning and I looked up 2020 in video games, then when I finished Half Life for the day, was trying to remember what game was coming out on the 24th only hours later.

But hey, it's on Gamepass and I'm not going anywhere, so I'll give it a shot at some point

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
70 for an online only game in a niche genre sadly means this game is likely dead on arrival.

Would love to be proven wrong.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I played the beta and a little today , it's an okay game but we will have to wait till people learn to play to know if it'll have legs.
Today is a mess and i really can't see much people investing the time to learn it.
The sad thing is that i love the artstyle

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

They're sending it out to die, unfortunately. Best of luck NT. At the very least, this hopefully means a lot of talent at the studio will soon be freed up to move onto other, more exciting projects.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
When I played it like a month ago, I really wasn't impressed at all. Here's to hoping for the best, but unless something drastically changed I don't see this lighting up the charts.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
sure you do. Consumer time is as finite as their money. You still have to convince them to spend it on your game rather than any of the other dozens of games they could just as easily download and play.
Sure, but I don't think a big promotional campaign will convince people to play this particular game. It's better to just do what they did (trailers at E3 and the main channel) and then let the game speak for itself.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hard disagree. Judging and reviewing a game based on a beta means that we will stop getting betas and more games will launch broken. It's a horrible practice.

Look, I think reviewing betas is stupid. But if you've played many hours in the beta and after, let's say, 5-6 hours in the official release you see that there haven't been enormous changes.. I think it's fine to write your review.

It's not like the game has a beginning and an end. After 10 hours of playing you can have a decent opinion about it.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Sooo what are we thinking? 2 or 4 months until no one cares about this game like the other arena shooters? Because this got mediocrity written all over it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
That art style is ugly gonna have the same negative effect as Lawbreakers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
With Game Pass you don't really need marketing
Eh, there might be the occasional game that get's away with that (maybe this will be that) and explodes in popularity (Rocket League is probably the best example of that working), but it's far from a good strategy, especially when you can afford to market it decently.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I have to take a second and applaud them for this games achievement list. Everything looks like it can be gotten by just playing the game. Nothing for changing your playstyle or ruining matches. You can play however you want and unlock everything. Very rare for an all multiplayer game. Meanwhile in games like overwatch, you had people purposely sitting back trying to create specific situations to get achievements.

I've seen a ton of people on achievement sites who said they had no interest in the game say they are going to play it now.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to sit around the low 70s. I love the game but the lack of content will hurt it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, there might be the occasional game that get's away with that (maybe this will be that) and explodes in popularity (Rocket League is probably the best example of that working), but it's far from a good strategy, especially when you can afford to market it decently.

Rocket League was a PS Plus game back when the market was starved and it did wonders for them. That's marketing. Marketing is more than just commercials and magazine ads. You have to think of new and creative ways to market when you are talking about subscription services like GamePass, but at the end of the day you still have to convince people to give you their time and attention.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

They're sending it out to die, unfortunately. Best of luck NT. At the very least, this hopefully means a lot of talent at the studio will soon be freed up to move onto other, more exciting projects.
It's a tiny project meant to be put on Gamepass. It's not being 'sent out to die' it just doesn't have AAA expectations.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of details in movement, graphics effects in animations, voice lines. Is almost up there with Blizzard really. Wich is insane from 15 people team.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

This game was made by about 12 + people and is a side project. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's being "sent to die".

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Really liking the game so far. Definitely going to be something that I'll play on a weekly basis. I definitely expect it to land in the low 70's which honestly doesn't really bother me. Curious to see what new maps and characters they got up their sleeve :)

nhRmL0v.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Na...

Hopefully they will support the game and allow it to grow. It's pretty good, and more people should give it a shot.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks a low 70ish game alright, thankfully Ori is right there to pick up MS quality because it's been rough the whole gen.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tiny project meant to be put on Gamepass. It's not being 'sent out to die' it just doesn't have AAA expectations.
This game was made by less than 12 people and is a side project. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's being "sent to die".
Na...

Hopefully they will support the game and allow it to grow. It's pretty good, and more people should give it a shot.
It is being "sent to die". Everyone and their mother is playing Animal Crossing or Doom 2, or COD: Warzone, or Ori 2 which just came out 2 weeks ago, or will be playing Resident Evil 3 next week or FFVII the week after that. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse time to release a game like this (multiplayer only but not F2P), especially considering the lack of marketing/lack of good word of mouth/lack of good review scores

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's give it an 8/10 based on the beta. Iti had a fantastic time. The main issue is the fact it only truly shines when both teams are working together, and a lot of the time that doesn't happen.

I'm hoping it will even out.

It is being "sent to die". Everyone and their mother is playing Animal Crossing or Doom 2, or COD: Warzone, or Ori 2 which just came out 2 weeks ago, or will be playing Resident Evil 3 next week or FFVII the week after that. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse time to release a game like this (multiplayer only but not F2P), especially considering the lack of marketing/lack of good word of mouth/lack of good review scores
Just no...

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is an incredibly small game that isn't going to get a large marketing budget and is meant to launch and then slowly grow. It really doesn't matter when it releases at all.