• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The game has been officially released for a little over two weeks now, and its viewership on Twitch and Mixer is.. not pretty, particularly for a mulltiplayer focused first party game.

On Twitch at the time of making this thread:
unknown.png

Surely it's doing better on the Microsoft backed streaming service right? Let's see:
unknown.png

You know what's pulling better numbers on these services? Yearly sports games from years ago, bad Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy games from an eternity ago, and... Fable 3?
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

It's particularly damning because Bleeding Edge seems like the kind of game that would do well on streaming services. It's a team-based competitive multiplayer game with a large, colorful cast of characters, lots of cool weapons and abilities to experiment with, and it borrows some elements from very successful games and genres like Overwatch and MOBAs. It also has Xbox Game Studios branding and, again, the game has been out for a little over two weeks. Where did it all go wrong? And does it have a chance of turning this around and getting more engagement?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like a side project they wanted to be done with to move on to the new Senua game full force. I personally never saw what there was to latch on to here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Something is bleeding alright. Game was doomed from day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It had very little buzz and marketing outside of bring on Game Pass and costs money when most games of this nature are free to play. I had fun with it but didn't buy in because I anticipated things would turn out like this.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Microsoft sent it out to die? Shocker. It was so uninteresting from that reveal and had zero marketing. Honestly I only recently found out that it came out.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I literally saw one E3 trailer and *nothing else*, so I'm not particularly surprised. I wasn't even aware it came out.

Seems we have another Lawbreakers on our hands here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in it and played the beta but didn't know it was out already. The game had 0 marketing and it should've gone F2P IMO.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The very definition of "too little too late", and looked absolutely hideous to boot.

Oct 26, 2017
What did people expect exactly?

MS didn't care enough to push the game outside Gamepass and Ninja Theory was doing this game to survive before MS acquisition.
It was deemed to fall since day 0.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it did pull good numbers, it would have been overshadowed by Valorant by now. Twitch viewing numbers don't mean much though.

Only Nintendo has a First Party game released this year with healthy viewer numbers. Bleeding Edge and Dreams seem to have flopped and the rest of the year looks bleak with all the delays unfortunately. It'll be a pretty bad year game-wise i think.

Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like a side project they wanted to be done with to move on to the new Senua game full force. I personally never saw what there was to latch on to here.

I think so too. Releasing an online competitive multiplayer game like this without any indication that you'll support it in the future is basically telling players not to bother spending the time learning and playing it.

It's a shame though as it's a pretty slick game and it's clear to see how much time and energy has gone into making it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bleeding Edge did not enter Xbox top 50 most popular games at any point. Gears broke into the top position, SoT was top 20 during launch and remained in the chart. Even Crackdown 3 was among the bottom for a couple of times.
Whoever bought this game, sorry for your loss: whether you liked the game or not, there is no future.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Its a moba that changed direction mid production, of course it was gonna "fail"

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
I hope the devs already got paid.

Must be so demoralizing to work hard on a product, and its just sent out to die. Although in this case I don't think there was much they could do to save it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know why but the idea that 51 people are watching Lightning Returns of all games right now is really hilarious to me. Nothing against that game but it just feels like such a deep cut at this point...

Anyway yeah doesn't look good for BE but then I haven't seen it promoted at all so what do they expect?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The character designs had some appeal, but the moment I saw gameplay I just felt no interest in playing it. I literally have Gamepass and feel no desire to download it.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
At least I got to 100% it before there are not enough players to match (though it's probably doing better on Xbox).

bWXhm2l.png

It definitely isn't replicating Sea of Thieves' success (which has been sitting on the TOP 20 Most Played on Xbox for months now)

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Looks like a f2p game from early 2010's, and I think even if it was release as a f2p game it probably would dead in 2 weeks, there's better games in the market, some even for free

May 17, 2018
I kinda liked what I played of it, but, I just don't see why they felt the need to focus resources and time on this game. Kudos for trying something new at least.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes games are made that really nobody asked for and wants.
I mean, I certainly want a melee-fighter Overwatch game.

The problems of bleeding edge is

1. That there is no real crescendo so it's mostly that you just keep fighting until the end, compared to how OW builds up it's match to the end with music and changing environment and so on
2. Not everyone is into it's punk aesthetic
3. they didn't launch this as free to play, which they really should have

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its a multiplayer Ninja Theory game, i was shocked when i read they were planning it to release between AC, RE3, DOOM ETERNAL, HALF LIFE and FFVIIR.
like, what were they thinking

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the devs already got paid.

Must be so demoralizing to work hard on a product, and its just sent out to die. Although in this case I don't think there was much they could do to save it.

If MS hasn't bought the studio, Ninja Theory might have gone broke after releasing this game on their own. This is what happened to Sleeping Dogs devs: one fairly good game under for the publisher -> Self-publishing their own game -> Bankruptcy

Lawbreakers killed CliffB studio. Gigantic also killed the studio.

So hurray for the acquisition!

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Some choice quotes in here.

Bleeding Edge was a pet project at Ninja Theory made by a few people that MS supported them releasing. People are treating it like it was a tentpole release. It's pretty awesome that a group of devs inside NT can put together a cool game and get it released and when you look back through the interviews about the game, you can see that those devs were excited about their accomplishment.

It's a very competitive genre. Wish it could catch fire just for the small group of devs who made it.