• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea where to put this since there's no General 3D thread. but since there are a number of people on this site who have interest in 3D art, professional or hobby, this might be pretty big news

there's a lot of new shit here, but the big one is improved sculpting.:new brushes, masking, MASK EXTRACT (yiss) and performance enhancements. new remeshing options with Voxel Remeshing and improved quad remeshing. RTX support for Cycles (eevee when?), Intel Denoiser support.

like I said, there's a lot

and, of course, new splash art

EJ1GqgDWoAcHsIm

EDIT: Do not support Blender Guru
Well this sucks... (long twitter thread so click to see more)

Last edited:

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
So soon? Amazing. I tried the denoiser in the beta version but I wanted to wait for the stable release to upgrade.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Time to update my regular version to 2.81 and delete 2.81 out of my beta folder to make room for 2.82

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Do they have the industry standard keyboard mapping yet? I can't stand Blender's controls.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Minutes after they release 2.81 they dump the next set of sculpting tools into the 2.82 Alpha. Nothing stops the sculpt train.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Wish there was a way to connect an ipad pro to a windows pc and use it as a drawing tablet :(

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Does anyone know if there's any sort of like, plug in, or skin or something to make blender a little easier to parse for a beginner?

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there's any sort of like, plug in, or skin or something to make blender a little easier to parse for a beginner?
I don't think I've seen such a thing for any program. the best bet is to follow a beginner's guide

here's blender's playlist
www.youtube.com

Blender Fundamentals 2.8

Get up to speed with Blender 2.8 in this updated official video series!

Blender Guru is a damn good channel for all sorts of stuff. he sorta dives right in faster, methinks
www.youtube.com

Blender Beginner Tutorial Series

The new Blender Donut tutorial, completely remade for Blender 2.8

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
I don't think I've seen such a thing for any program. the best bet is to follow a beginner's guide

here's blender's playlist
www.youtube.com

Blender Fundamentals 2.8

Blender Guru is a damn good channel for all sorts of stuff. he sorta dives right in faster, methinks
www.youtube.com

I've started these multiple times. The user interface is just impenetrable, and difficult to remember for me.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've started these multiple times. The user interface is just impenetrable, and difficult to remember for me.
it's something you'll have to learn through repetitive use. can't say there's any "simple" modeling program that's as flexible as Maya/3DS Max/Blender/etc. maybe Google Sketchup? though I can't vouch for that as I never used it

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Yeah, but I used Maya back in college. It's super easy to understand, and makes sense.

Blender, on the other hand, is adversarial to learning it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's something you'll have to learn through repetitive use. can't say there's any "simple" modeling program that's as flexible as Maya/3DS Max/Blender/etc. maybe Google Sketchup? though I can't vouch for that as I never used it
Sketchup is really difficult to use but maybe that's because I'm so used to Maya.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Yeah, but I used Maya back in college. It's super easy to understand, and makes sense.

Blender, on the other hand, is adversaries learning iy
Is that issue based on 2.79 or an earlier version? They drastically changed the UI recently in 2.79 to become closer to the industry standard stuff.

Ah, gotcha. Well give the new stuff a shot. Thanks!

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I managed to crash blender by setting the remesher voxel size to .0001.

yea. don't do that

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blender's live show will be covering Blender 2.82 in less than 20mins

yes, 2.82

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bumping because Blender 2.82 is out. sculpting improvements, UDIM support, new fluid sim, RTX support and more

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes mask extract. I been stuck on something tedious awhile. I'll update and go back in.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
For those who don't follow development, here's a preview of the witchcraft that should be coming in the spring with 2.83.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Blender looks amazing, every update seems to always add some really cool features. I just can't bring myself to invest the time in to learning it.
Kinda hate being bound to Maya but that's what I use at work everyday.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
giphy.gif

I can't believe this software is free. No catch or anything. Just free and open source goodness with so many wonderful features that rival all of the expensive 3d packages. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i've been thinking of getting into 3D stuff but i don't know where to start. i downloaded Blender but completely overwhelmed.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've been thinking of getting into 3D stuff but i don't know where to start. i downloaded Blender but completely overwhelmed.
some good channels that have introductions

Blender Guru
www.youtube.com

Grant Abbitt
www.youtube.com

Blender 2.8 for beginners full course

Full course for beginners in Blender 2.8

and Blender's intro
www.youtube.com

Blender Fundamentals 2.8

Jul 18, 2018
Anyone have good video tutorials on how to use the grease pencil tool?

Also any good tutorials on how to apply textures and such? I'm basically just been modeling but don't know how to texture stuff so everything is basic colors

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
As some who works with 3dsmax and Maya I really want to switch to blender because imo it has some of the best features but my god the interface and control is so over complicated It is just so counter productive(I know how to use it already) and it's a shame cause blender is absolutely incredible it's just a shame everything you do requires 3 unneeded steps. Still I like to see all the stuff they keep adding it's truly a great program. I'm sure if you've never used a 3D program this is the way I'd go but coming from other 3D programs it's a tough entry.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
As some who works with 3dsmax and Maya I really want to switch to blender because imo it has some of the best features but my god the interface and control is so over complicated It is just so counter productive(I know how to use it already) and it's a shame cause blender is absolutely incredible it's just a shame everything you do requires 3 unneeded steps.

yeah it still ain't great, but the recent big interface update with 2.8 makes me think they're (hopefully) trying to address this long-standing issue. Blender's interface is really the biggest hang-up for veterans and beginners alike

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who jumped from blender to maya then back to blender, all the interfaces suck. I never found any of them intuitive. I had to just sit there and force myself to learn them

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Features are cool and all, but the fact in this update you can finally just box select something without having to press a hotkey or switch to the select tool is a welcome overdue fix. Finally behaves like every other art program has for the past 2 or 3 decades.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Coming from Zbrush, I love the new sculpting tools improvements. They made huge progress.

Blender is such a neat piece of software and I'm so glad that it's finally getting more adoption and recognition within the industry after decades of treating it like a hobbyist tool, mainly due to the user interface.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Blender is getting better and fast.
It's been really exiting to see new features popping up.