• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Phil Spencer's least favourite Xbox game is now avaliable through Xbox One Backwards Compatibility!

Blinx_-_The_Time_Sweeper_Coverart.png

Original release: October 7th 2002
Xbox One BC release: April 17th 2018
Developer: Artoon
Size: TBC
Playable on 360?: Yes

Blinx: The Time Sweeper is a fast-paced action game featuring a cool, clever new character in wild, warped worlds. The ability to control the flow of time provides a totally new 4-dimensional gaming experience only possible on Xbox.

35279-ingame-Blinx-The-Time-Sweeper.png

blinxscr2large.jpg

000178s06.jpg

2132212-0003.jpg

Reviews:
Metacritic - 71
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/blinx-the-time-sweeper

Gamespot - 6.3
The actual gameplay of Blinx is simple, but it isn't easy to explain. Basically, every level gives you 10 minutes during which you need to defeat a given number of enemies (or a boss monster) and then reach the goal. Along the way, you'll get past various hazards, pick up some gold you can later use to buy some stuff, find a few secret tokens for unlocking hidden extras, and collect and use time crystals that represent Blinx's time-shifting special abilities.

You'll be hearing and seeing a lot of the same thing over and over in Blinx, a game that's inherently about repetition. What's the point of all the instant replay gimmicks if you have to play through each level multiple times anyway? And the time tricks really are mere gimmicks. They aren't used to create inventive or challenging scenarios, but rather are included as simple power-ups or "keys" to get past "doors." And despite having dozens of levels, Blinx never really strays from its basic, simple formula, and as you play it, you'll never really get past all its problems. The first line of dialogue in the game's intro cinematic goes, "Time is like a treasure." That being the case, you should carefully consider spending your time on something other than Blinx.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this game. It's fun for a while, but it wears thin fast. I still appreciate the effort of reminding people of the Xbox legacy library.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I remember loving this as a kid but I never actually finished it. Gonna play around with it and see how well it hold up soon.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Blinx vs. Knack, which maligned console launch mascot is the least worst?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I remember getting to the last boss in this and if I recall being killed by a suicide move. Never went back but it was fun.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i remember the game kind of dragging in the middle. its been ages so i dont remember anything specific but i remember wanting to quit the game a lot midway through because it was frustrating to the point of not being fun, but then the last third or so wrapping back around to feeling like a fun challenge.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This and Munch's Oddysee were the two games I always liked the look of near the Xbox launch, so I suppose I should get it.

I've heard it wasn't too good, but I'm not sure if it's genuinely a bad game, or if it's meme bad like Knack is, where it's actually decent, or at the very least not as bad as people would have you believe.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
This and Munch's Oddysee were the two games I always liked the look of near the Xbox launch, so I suppose I should get it.

I've heard it wasn't too good, but I'm not sure if it's genuinely a bad game, or if it's meme bad like Knack is, where it's actually decent, or at the very least not as bad as people would have you believe.

I consider 'Munch's Odyssey' as the black sheep in the Oddworld series. I consider any of the other three releases a masterpiece. I played this back in the day, and it was one of my greatest disappointments.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I will try it eventually, I've never played and still have a better MC than Sea of Thieves lol.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm dead. As dead as this series.

I love this game and 2, I'm actually feeling very convinced to get a Xbox One because I no longer own an Xbox but still own my old Xbox and 360 games.

I hope this sells IMMACULATELY so we get a third game. But I can only dream.

Thanks for making an OT.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm dead. As dead as this series.

I love this game and 2, I'm actually feeling very convinced to get a Xbox One because I no longer own an Xbox but still own my old Xbox and 360 games.

I hope this sells IMMACULATELY so we get a third game. But I can only dream.

Thanks for making an OT.

I may have made an OT and all, but I've never actually played this due to never having owned an original Xbox. Always wanted to though 'cause I love platformers so much.

Looking forward to hopping in later.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Blinx wasn't a launch title, it showed up about a year after the US launch.

I'd give the edge to Blinx just because Knack looks so fuckin' dumb on top of the game itself being uninteresting.

I thought it was a launch title in Japan, but I might be mistaken. Anyway, I seem to remember it was kind of bland but somehow got a sequel with biker pigs or something. Odd times.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't as bad as it's made out to be and the music and level artwork is decent, but it does get mighty frustrating after world three and the last boss showdown is dreadful.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Loved Blinx, I am sure they said that the time mechanics were because of the HDD. Would love to see them revisit the time tools they gave you.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I may have made an OT and all, but I've never actually played this due to never having owned an original Xbox. Always wanted to though 'cause I love platformers so much.

Looking forward to hopping in later.

I hope you enjoy it, it was genuinely my favourite Microsoft series back in the day (probably still is) and I was really sad they never brought him back for a 360 entry.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Spencer likes blinx though it's brute Force he doesn't like

And despite being a meme like knack before knack was a thing blinx is actually enjoyable

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm legit more excited about this than any of the other OG Xbox games coming to BC lol. Unfortunately my X is in storage until my new house is ready to be moved into but once I'm settled it's on!!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Don't have an xbone or 360, I 100%ed it on the og though. Doing so is brutally hard (even getting to the final boss is a struggle).

2's multiplayer is pretty fun but I never got a copy myself.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I remember selling a ton of these with Xbox's back in the game.

This and Whacked! were great companion titles.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like this game and the sequel... still play them on my OG Xbox! I mean, I could make use of the BC here.... but then, how would I play with The Duke? ;)

I enjoy the presentation, music, time mechanic, I thought it was all pretty neat. It's not going to take down Mario, but I felt the game ended up rather maligned when it is a pretty decent platformer. I guess this should inspire me to try it again.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
I actually really like this game and the sequel... still play them on my OG Xbox! I mean, I could make use of the BC here.... but then, how would I play with The Duke? ;)

I enjoy the presentation, music, time mechanic, I thought it was all pretty neat. It's not going to take down Mario, but I felt the game ended up rather maligned when it is a pretty decent platformer. I guess this should inspire me to try it again.
There is a duke controller coming for xbox one I think.

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Always wanted to play this, but just never got my fingers on it and I have to admit, I have zero interest to do so now.
But it's out of question, that the MS treatment for classics is really good right now.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The Blinx character has such a "Chinese knock-off" mascot design, probably why it never took off.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Played through the first two worlds. This is a genuinely great game. Boss designs are fantastic. Essentially it's Microsoft's Ape Escape.

People who think this is mediocre or bad - what's wrong with you?