• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UUz3cz2.png

2019 has been a year for Blizzard, hasn't it? It was quiet, and then one day, professional Hearthstone player Blitzchung said "Free Hong Kong" on an official broadcast and Blizzard subsequently banned him and the casters from competitive participation for a year (before reducing both parties' suspensions to six months).

The fallout from their decision lead to many long time players of classic Blizzard games to close their accounts, boycotting any future releases until they finally communicated and committed to tangible action that proved that Blizzard could learn from this incident and find a balance between allowing its players to have their own voices while also focusing on the game their broadcasting.

Blizzard thought their opening statement at BlizzCon 2019 would make amends and ensure that none of their game announcements would not be overshadowed by this incident.

And yet here we are.

Blizzard's opening statement starts off with J. Allen Brack saying that they had an opportunity to bring the world together in what they call "a tough Hearthstone esports moment," downplaying the significance of the Blitzchung Incident and not even having the balls to say his name or what the incident was about. Quick sidenote - What fucking world are you referring to in trying to bring together?

Brack admits that Blizzard moved too fast in their decision making when punishing Blitzchung and the casters, and too slow to communicate with their playerbase about why they made the decisions that they did.

Brack then continues by saying Blizzard failed to live up to the high standards they set for themselves and says that Blizzard "failed in our purpose", and then, in true calculated PR speech writing, pauses. Waiting the applause. Waiting for the crowd to put their hands together to signal that multi billion-dollar companies can fuck up, say sorry, announce new games, and all be right in the world.

And the crowd does exactly this. Brack smirks, delighted that unlike Herb in BoJack Horseman, who refuses to give BoJack closure for abandoning him when he needed a friend, the crowd's thunderous applause says "yes, king, we forgive you."

Brack continued by saying cliché bullshit about video games bring people together, and how actions are going to matter more than anything that was said.

In this split second, I had hope. Blizzard will finally commit to tangible action that proved that Blizzard could learn from this incident and find a balance between allowing its players to have their own voices while also focusing on the game their broadcasting.

And a second later, that hope died as Brack pretty much said their tangible action that proved Blizzard could learn from this incident and find a balance between allowing its players to have their own voices while also focusing on the game their broadcasting was basically allowing fucking protestors to protest them at BlizzCon.

No other corrective actions were announced or mentioned. None. No change in the rulebook, no announcement completely axing their suspension of Blitzchung, no nothing. They literally fucking said that they know their words mean nothing and hope that their actions speak louder, and it turns out that their actions are just them not doing anything about protestors at BlizzCon.

I challenge any professional player playing a Blizzard title to test that line of expression and see how far it goes. I guarantee the distance is short.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope everyone here can appreciate the pretty cinematics they've put out, without giving them your money. Please think before you pre-order. If you buy their games day one all the same the take away from all this is nothing.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it was some serious garbage. Basically how many times can we say sorry without actually doing shit

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it was something to give defenders a thing to point and say "well they already apologized, what more do you want! Just get over it."

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you watch his speech and pause at the right moment, you can see Brack's shit eating grin when people start to clap. It's fucking gross.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I was super on board with taking Blizzard to task. But his comments did sway me. It was less about what he said and more about how he said it. I watched it live and I could see it in the guy's face. He really looked like he was about to cry. I'm not saying they should be fully off the hook but it's a good start IMO

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was super on board with taking Blizzard to task. But his comments did sway me. It was less about what he said and more about how he said it. I watched it live and I could see it in the guy's face. He really looked like he was about to cry. I'm not saying they should be fully off the hook but it's a good start IMO

Lol

Give the man an oscar

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fuck Blizzard.

This entire "apology" amounts to "we don't give a shit, stop pestering us".

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it was something to give defenders a thing to point and say "well they already apologized, what more do you want! Just get over it."

I'm at the point now where I'm not sure they could do anything to rectify what they've done for some of you. They should unban that dude, but expecting them to go around and start screaming "free hong kong" and such will never happen. I can't imagine any company in bed with china that you like doing that.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Don't buy their products. Don't watch their trailers on Youtube. Don't visit their site. Don't support anything sold by Activision.

That's really all you can do.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
It's legit sad to see how many people who were posting tons of anti-Blizzard shit suddenly turn around and treat Blizzard like gods because of this half assed apology and some game announcements.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

he should have fucking cried and shouted free Hong Kong, yet all he did was say sorry and say "look at all the protests we are allowing!!!"

It was a nothing burger. Weird to think that it was anything more than that.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Blizzard had a chance to make a stand for what was right, but instead they chose the easier, more evil option. Fuck Blizzard, free Hong Kong.

Yeah he was crying tears of joy that his trash company would get away with it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say that it was sufficient (because I know how asking this question can indicate otherwise), but what would be some actions they could take to make things right?

Nov 1, 2017
Some people wanted an "out" so they wouldn't feel bad while playing the games, didn't have to be much to sway them, just something. The half assed response gave them that out. It was the bare minimum.

Feb 21, 2019
I mean, honestly....look at them. Just look at it. Outside of a few people (comparatively) nobody cares. Its just give me Diablo IV and WOW.....thats it.

Blizzard doesn't have to do jack sheet, they will continue to bring in billions of dollars.

Its sad, but thats the reality. (And Blizzard/Activision knows it).

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
If you watch his speech and pause at the right moment, you can see Brack's shit eating grin when people start to clap. It's fucking gross.
In his head: "yes, yes, yes, this shit worked".

It was a trash of an "apology". He knows, we know it, but it worked, because Diablo 4.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
We can all have our opinions. I'm not ready to forgive and forget. I'm not putting D3 back on any of my systems or PC, I'm not preordering the new wOw expac. But I am going to watch and see how they act going forward.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I sold all my Activision stock and I haven't even bothered watching any of the new trailers today. They can get f***ed and stay f***ed until they grow a spine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to say that it was sufficient (because I know how asking this question can indicate otherwise), but what would be some actions they could take to make things right?

Unban Blitzchung completely.

Publicly detail new internal policy regarding the handling of political statements made during broadcasts over official channels.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
No other corrective actions were announced or mentioned. None. No change in the rulebook, no announcement completely axing their suspension of Blitzchung, no nothing. They literally fucking said that they know their words mean nothing and hope that their actions speak louder, and it turns out that their actions are just them not doing anything about protestors at BlizzCon.

Why would there be a change? Why should there be a change? He got to say what he wanted to say and then had to deal with the consequences of it. Yes, the consequences were harsh and I am glad they lessened them but just as anyone would if they stood up in the middle of a work event and started talking about politics, he has to deal with his punishment given to him. If I were to get up in the middle of a work presentation and yell FUCK TRUMP HE SUCKS I would get fired on the spot, even if my boss agreed.

When a former coworker of mine said something she wasn't suppose to say to a client on the phone, the client complained and she was fired on the spot. My boss said she agreed with my coworker but that she was not allowed to say what she said, it was against our rules.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Some people wanted an "out" so they wouldn't feel bad while playing the games, didn't have to be much to sway them, just something. The half assed response gave them that out. It was the bare minimum.

Yup, people don't care they just want to forget and play their games, not surprising at all. They'll be back to fanboying opening once enough time has past

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would there be a change? Why should there be a change? He got to say what he wanted to say and then had to deal with the consequences of it. Yes, the consequences were harsh and I am glad they lessened them but just as anyone would if they stood up in the middle of a work event and started talking about politics, he has to deal with his punishment given to him. If I were to get up in the middle of a work presentation and yell FUCK TRUMP HE SUCKS I would get fired on the spot, even if my boss agreed.

When a former coworker of mine said something she wasn't suppose to say to a client on the phone, the client complained and she was fired on the spot. My boss said she agreed with my coworker but that she was not allowed to say what she said, it was against our rules.

sports and esports are inherently political. To deny that aspect is asking for a walled garden.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like no one is bringing up Virtual and Mr. Yee (the two casters) when talking about this. I'm assuming that they are banned for life?

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
ok, let's give it a shot

Last edited:
mod post - thread guidelines

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Reopening this thread as others in a similar vein keep popping up. As a reminder, hostility towards other members or inflammatory generalizations about other members will not be tolerated and will be moderated strictly. If the thread becomes unmanageable it will be locked again.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They said it themselves, actions are more important. And then proceeded to make no actions to alleviate what they did. They didn't even acknowledge what they were apologizing for. The closest they said was they were apologizing for not talking to people about it. That wasn't and isn't it blizz, try again.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
What would you like blizzard to do? Condemn China and support Hong Kong? You realize the US administration has not even done this. Why would it be the responsibility of a private company to get involved in politics. Lots of game companies have done shitty things in the past. Don't like it? Don't buy their game. I personally don't feel they did something horrible enough to not buy their games for the rest of my life. But hey, if you want to vote with your wallet go ahead. However, if you really want to make a difference. Contact your senator and congressman and tel them you want them to support Hong Kong. Probably a better use of your time and energy.