• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

szuhaadalis

Verified
Sep 22, 2021
Spellbreak was a neat concept but they wasted it in an already heavily saturated market with BR mode.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Spellbreak was a neat concept but they wasted it in an already heavily saturated market with BR mode.
Agreed. Me and my friends had fun with it at launch but seems it had the issue of not keeping many players active.
I tried to play it randomly a bit later on and was just stuck waiting for a match (Even though there should've been bots to autofill).

Regardless the team has talent so hopefully, they'll be able to do more than just WoW at Blizzard.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Too bad, by all accounts spellbreak had a ton of potential. Would have been cool to see them get another crack at their own game.

That said this should give them a lot more stability, so I hope the staff is happy working on WoW

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Such a shame. I was hoping they could work on something different based on their IP, but it seems they won't be able to.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How….how can you make an acquisition while being acquired yourself?

Rd6PFht.png

Captialism.jpg

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Devastated for the devs. I don't know what financial situation Proletariat was in, but going from working on your own IP to becoming a support dev on WoW will be one hell of a pill to swallow. There is also the idea that they are coming to help on Dragonflight, which is slated for release this year. This means the production is in full swing, and it's the last straight towards the release. So they are coming in at a time where everything is extremely critical, on a project they haven't worked on.

Really wishing the best for all the devs there, no matter what they end up choosing to do. Not a great position they are being put in.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
WoW needs some fresh blood, and they seem like talented people. It was probably acquisition or disbanding for them after Spellbreak's failure unfortunately.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting. I assume they'll just be integrated into Blizzard and the current company will be dissolved? Just a pure aquihire.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Talented people going to help Blizzard work on WoW? This is good news

Better than disbanding a talented studio

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Ooph...sucks they are going into the WoW meat grinder, would love to see that team do a non BR game in Spellbreak's style, doubt the MS acquisition will change anything but would be nice if they were able to get shifted to another project.

That being said, atleast this means those devs still have a job, imagine the alternative was to shutdown.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Ooph...sucks they are going into the WoW meat grinder, would love to see that team do a non BR game in Spellbreak's style, doubt the MS acquisition will change anything but would be nice if they were able to get shifted to another project.

That being said, atleast this means those devs still have a job, imagine the alternative was to shutdown.
put the artists on the new Survival IP

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Has the turn over at Blizzard been so high that they needed to just buy up another studio to staff up??

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Activision really is a garbage company. I mean we all knew that, but I can't believe they're STILL swallowing studios whole and turning them into support batteries for their big games.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh, this is unexpected! The pending closure of Spellbreak is unfortunate but it's good that there's a future for this team. I had no idea they had a team of 100 people.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Activision really is a garbage company. I mean we all knew that, but I can't believe they're STILL swallowing studios whole and turning them into support batteries for their big games.

That's the cost of AAA games in the year 2022.

People want more and faster content with high end production value? This is the price for it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That's a problem across the whole industry.

It's way cheaper and fast to acquire a studio with 100 FTE than hiring one by one.
yup. This just saves a whole lot of time for everyone and avoids a bad case scenario of the company dissolving, everyone having to go their own ways and go job hunting (likely for a remote job, too, as I don't think a lot of Boston studios exist).

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
While I would typically agree, Sepllbreak and their previous games weren't exactly doing big numbers and that's a big team. Unless they had massive external support, this could have been a case of them closing up shop and people being out of a job entirely. Speculation on my part though, but Spellbreaks numbers the last year, at least according to Steam, have been pretty tiny.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the cost of AAA games in the year 2022.

People want more and faster content with high end production value? This is the price for it.

I dunno. Square Enix isn't eating entire developers whole and turning them into support studios to make FFXIV's expansions come out. This seems to be a very specifically Activision kind of thing. It seems engrained into the Actiblizz corporate culture.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Having to leave a place you love working at because you will be forced to be a Support dev on a game where you will have literally no say is devastating to me.

It's basically the kind of choices the devs there have to make. It's a better option than just straight up closing, yes. It's still not a good outcome.
You really can't know this. I mean it's your opinion, but looks like all (around 100) devs agreed to go an work with Blizzard which for them was obviously better than not working at all.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I dunno. Square Enix isn't eating entire developers whole and turning them into support studios to make FFXIV's expansions come out. This seems to be a very specifically Activision kind of thing. It seems engrained into the Actiblizz corporate culture.
Yes because every FFXIV expansion is a banger. No need to change the pace at all

WoW in the other hand? Exactly..

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Ohhh that's interesting. I would assume this is for the new IP they are developing. Like a fantasy survival genre I think.