• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

The games in the Blizzard Arcade Collection come in their Original Editions and also upgraded Definitive Editions (details below), with each version featuring custom key mapping and the ability to rewind up to 10 seconds. The Original Editions of The Lost Vikings and Blackthorne also include "watch mode," which lets players watch a playthrough of the game and jump in to take control at any point. The ability to save progress anywhere is also included in all versions of each game, with the exception of the Definitive Edition of Rock N Roll Racing. An array of bonus materials rounds out the Blizzard Arcade Collection, including game art, development assets, unused content, lore, interviews, and more.

Each entry in the Blizzard Arcade Collection showcases the focus on fun, personality, and detail at the heart of all Blizzard games. The games are all compellingly challenging, offering an early look at what would evolve into Blizzard's signature approach to satisfying gameplay, colorful design, and tongue-in-cheek humor.

The Lost Vikings

In The Lost Vikings, players assume the roles of Erik the Swift, Olaf the Stout, and Baelog the Fierce, three intrepid Vikings who must use their abilities cooperatively to solve hundreds of puzzles, defeat their enemies, and navigate a treacherous voyage back home. The Definitive Edition of The Lost Vikings brings together the best aspects of the different original console versions of the game, combining the superior audio and visual experience of the first release with the extra stages and cutscenes, and support for up to three players in local co-op, that were added in a subsequent version.

Rock N Roll Racing

Featuring a series of booby-trapped racetracks and an epic rock-and-metal soundtrack, Rock N Roll Racing puts players behind the wheel in an over-the-top demolition-racing experience. Players choose from a selection of drivers with different talents and take their pick from a set of customizable cars—each equipped with an upgradeable arsenal designed to help them outmaneuver, and literally destroy, the competition. The Definitive Edition adds environmental effects, such as snow and rain, and lets up to four players, compared to two in the Original Edition, compete in local multiplayer. It also ups the racetrack count to 384 variations, supports 16:9 resolution, and adds actual recordings of songs from the game's classic soundtrack—as well as new songs and new "Loudmouth Larry" voiceover clips for players to tear up the tracks to.

Blackthorne

Blackthorne centers on the story of Kyle "Blackthorne" Vlaros, a lethal commando equipped with brute strength, animal cunning, a mysterious past—and an increasingly powerful shotgun. As the eponymous lead character, players must fight to claim their destiny, dodging and blasting their way through a futuristic 2D alien world overrun by mutant monsters and goblin hordes, in a fierce effort to liberate its people. The Definitive Edition of the game includes an additional area to explore—previously only available in the 32-bit version of Blackthorne—as well as a "fog of war" map that uncovers as players explore each level.

The Definitive Editions also bring The Lost Vikings, Rock N Roll Racing, and Blackthorne to a broader global audience than ever before, providing the first-ever opportunity for players around the world to play through these foundational Blizzard experiences in Italian, Korean, Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Russian, and simplified and traditional Chinese, in addition to the French, German, Japanese, and European Spanish versions that were previously available.
Blizzard Arcade Collection announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC; launches today - Gematsu
Digital Eclipse made this btw. It's not "just" 3 games either.
Blackthorne:
SNES
32-bit
Definitive Edition

The Lost Vikings
SNES
Genesis
Definitive Edition

Rock n Roll Racing
SNES
Genesis
4 Player Versus mode
Definitive Edition

Plus a museum with behind the scenes stuff!

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This comes free on PC with any of the Blizzcon packs that have the stuff for other Blizzard games right?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not seeing it in the PS4 store in Canada yet. :(

Doesn't seem to be in new games or a search specifically for "Blizzard".

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
None of these are arcade games and 3 games for $20 is a ridiculous price. They are good games, but I would personally pay even $5 for any of these games on their own

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, the free version of Rock N Roll Racing they gave away before was kind of butchered? So this is hopefully an improvement. Still kind of pricy for just three games however. Lost Vikings 2 should have been included.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Rock and roll is worth the price of admission alone for me. Game is lit and I have really fond memories of it

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Given the cost of Mega Drive copies of Lost Vikings nowadays it is slightly tempting to get it on Switch just for that, but given Blizzard's last remaster attempt I'm going to wait and see what impressions are like first.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I kept thinking about Lost Vinkings since a few year back, I played that game so much on SNES.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Am I being weird that I would actually like the option to play with the SNES-style ost on Rock N Roll Racing? Does it allow you to do that?

May 10, 2019
how dare you include the lost vikings but not the lost vikings 2

I think there might be weird contention with the rights to Lost Vikings 2, since they only made the SNES version and every other console version was done by Beam Software.

If they had full rights to it they probably would have released a GBA version like they did with the first one, so there's a more than 0% chance that it's up to Embracer Group (owners of a massive amount of the legacy Interplay IP) at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think there might be weird contention with the rights to Lost Vikings 2, since they only made the SNES version and every other console version was done by Beam Software.

If they had full rights to it they probably would have released a GBA version like they did with the first one, so there's a more than 0% chance that it's up to Embracer Group (owners of a massive amount of the legacy Interplay IP) at this point.

Shame, too, because LV2 was MARKEDLY BETTER than the original.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Must say I'm tempted by Rock'n'Roll Racing in Wide Screen.
That approach to combine features from different versions to make the best one is pretty cool.

how dare you include the lost vikings but not the lost vikings 2

It's pretty weird how Blizzard ignores the existence of Lost Vikings 2, there's probably some copyright issue going on and no one cares enough to go after it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Blackthorne is the only Blizzard game I've ever truly loved, so why you gotta lie to me OP and say it's available on my Switch right now?

VashTS

Oct 29, 2017
Arcade collection is downloadable and listed in account settings>download games section on blizzard website. Downloads a small setup.exe but it doesn't work properly as of yet.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Is Blackthorne playable for someone with no nostalgia for it? I always wanted to play it when I was younger but never got the chance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So it's not actually available yet. No response on the title change requests but I guess at least it will be futureproof lol

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
any of these hold up?
Lost Vikings is an all time classic puzzle platformer and Rock & Roll Racing is a very robust racer with a lot of charm.

Given the quality of these games and the work they seemingly put into improving them, some of y'all are crazy to be harping on the price.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my Lost Viking games disks. I feel like it's ok for me to emulate these on DosBox...