• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
unfuckingbelieveable. blizzard is still a american company last i checked, the way they throw themselves at the feet of the chinese goverment is pathetic. i hope their american and western audience won't let them get away with this.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Since HQ has failed to address this topic appropriately this might as well be their official response.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
unfuckingbelieveable. blizzard is still a american company last i checked, the way they throw themselves at the feet of the chinese goverment is pathetic. i hope their american and western audience won't let them get away with this.
Capitalism and money is not beholden to country borders and sovereignty.

Jenoss

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a new post though, it happened prior to the news exploding in the West like it did.

Like, yeah it's still a shitty look either way, but it's not really a sign of how they're responding going forward.
Oh i finally got it then!
I didn't understood that it was a prior response before the "shitstorm", thanks for the clarification!

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That never happened, live ammo was only used when a protester was attacking a police man with a metal bat.

It wasn't a metal bat either, it was more like a metal rod or baton, certainly more like an umbrella than a bat. Would have done absolutely nothing to the officer with all their riot gear on.

Looking at your most recent posts you seem to be very complimentary of China...hmmm.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They still have time to make this right.
I don't think they will. But they are not 100% damned yet.
Yes they are. Banning a player and broadcasters and taking away money owed over this already dammed them. Any course correction now will just be blizzard trying to spin pr and save face. When people show you who they are, believe them.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They still have time to make this right.
I don't think they will. But they are not 100% damned yet.

What it takes to make it right is absolutely not something Blizzard will ever be able to do - willingly wave goodbye to those fat sacks of cash from China.

The only way Blizzard grows a spine is if China kicks them out of their own accord (due to Mei memes, dissatisfaction with Blizzard, or whatever else). Then suddenly we'll see Blizzard suddenly apologize and lament as loudly as possible the error of their ways. But as long as that China money flows, they'll wipe their asses with their core values right in public and not say a single goddamned word about any of this, no matter how many Blizzcons they have to neuter or cancel.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm typically not one who jumps on the outrage train but this is so unbelievably disappointing. I will not be giving this company any more money. Between this, their extreme focus on esports and the mobile debacle last year, this company is clearly not the one I once loved.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was debating if I wanted to keep Overwatch on my Switch or not since I already bought and pre-loaded it before this whole fiasco took place.

This pretty much settled it. No more Blizzard titles for me till they pull their head out their ass.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've never played Overwatch at all, and always kinda wanted to jump in. I was planning on doing that with the Switch release. I'm not going to now. I don't need to support Blizzard or Activision.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
I thought this might have hurt blizzards stock value but looks like it's actually went up a bit

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
freedom of speech until it affects our business, i no longer am buying another acti/blizzard product.

Already removed all subs and battle net from my PC.

So long blizzard

Oct 25, 2017
This is a strong reminder that even if we hear a placating official response from Blizzard HQ in English for the sake of damage control, we must separately keep an eye on what their regional offices are saying at the same time in Chinese.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
They need my fucking ID in order to delete my account.

Yeah, I'll absolutely send a photo of my ID to a company like Blizzard.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird to me in the sense that PR should have no identity outside of the company, right? But I guess Chinese PR would play differently? Like, wouldn't this normally get someone fired (injecting a personal dimension to a statement)?
Their corporate culture and structure differs from western ones. When Trump started his ban on Huawei I remember a lot of articles highlighting how China mandates Communist Party committees in corporations to keep everyone in line with the political goals of the party.

The presence of party units has long been a fact of doing business in China, where party organizations exist in nearly 70 percent of some 1.86 million privately owned companies, the official China Daily reported last month.

Companies in China, including foreign firms, are required by law to establish a party organization, a rule that had long been regarded by many executives as more symbolic than anything to worry about.

One senior executive whose company was represented at the meeting told Reuters some companies were under "political pressure" to revise the terms of their joint ventures with state-owned partners to allow the party final say over business operations and investment decisions.

He said the company's joint venture partner was pushing to amend their agreement to include language mandating party personnel be "brought into the business management organization", that "party organization overhead expenses shall be included in the company budget", and that posts of board chairman and party secretary be held by the same person.Changing joint venture agreement terms is the main concern, the executive said, noting that his company had thus far resisted.

"Once it is part of the governance, they have direct rights," he said.

The State Council Information Office (SCIO), which doubles as the party spokesman's office, told Reuters in a faxed statement that there is no interference by party organizations in the normal operating activity of joint venture or foreign-invested companies.

However, it added, "company party organizations generally carry out activities that revolve around operations management, can help companies promptly understand relevant national guiding principles and policies, coordinate all parties' interests, resolve internal disputes, introduce and develop talent, guide the corporate culture, and build harmonious labor relations."

"They are widely welcomed within companies," the SCIO said.
www.reuters.com

Exclusive: In China, the Party’s push for influence inside foreign firms stirs fears

Late last month, executives from more than a dozen top European companies in China met in Beijing to discuss their concerns about the growing role of the ruling Communist Party in the local operations of foreign firms, according to three people with knowledge of the discussions...

Tencent, Baidu, JD.com, Sina Weibo, and Jack Ma's Alibaba – just to name a few – all have active party organizations that engage in regular party politicking.

Information technology companies, like social media sites, constantly receive censorship directives to take down things that the party does not want people to see, and promote things that are deemed desirable, as I experienced first-hand last year during my almost year-long stint as a major Chinese news portal.

Once, we were about to publish an in-depth story about villagers living near the Chinese-North Korean border. It was a time the two countries' relations were strained, after China toughened sanctions against its neighbor.

A colleague, who was a party member, halted the story, saying that the company would be punished if it went ahead.

After a few rounds of discussion going back and forth, the editor-in-chief complied and the story was not published until months later.

In another example, the party committee at Sina Weibo, a popular social media platform, created a "public opinion analysis group" to hold weekly meetings to detect and censor "negative" content for a "cleaner Chinese cyberspace."

On top of directing censorship, party committees at top Chinese tech companies regularly meet to study party's latest teachings and announcements.

During the 19th Party Congress last year, some 48 tech companies in Beijing organized watch parties in their conference rooms, adorned with the party's hammer-and-sickle flags symbolizing communism.

These companies include Baidu and Tencent, whose leaders are notably not members of the Communist Party.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzcon will hopefully be an absolute shitshow. Though I wouldnt put it past them just cancelling all the Q&A stuff

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Has this been posted yet?
Odz56sp.jpg

Someone turned Mei (Overwatch) in a pro-Hong Kong symbol.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a metal bat either, it was more like a metal rod or baton, certainly more like an umbrella than a bat. Would have done absolutely nothing to the officer with all their riot gear on.

Looking at your most recent posts you seem to be very complimentary of China...hmmm.

OK we can agree that he was attacking the police man with a metal 'object' you can see from the footage that it definitely was not just an umbrella. I'm very sorry that the facts of this specific situation are getting in the way of your protest

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
🎵Feels like a good time for a union 🎵
There have been hundreds of those lol

Maybe this'll be the start of something though(but hopefully shit gets addressed and fixed over in China more than anything).
It would be but on the other hand I can understand they may not want to lose their jobs (and it's quite obvious blizzard will fire them for it).
Oh I'm sure. Job security would shut so many of us down, so i don't expect many to speak out on these atrocities. It sucks and it's a scary situation to be in, but maybe the pain that's being dealt over in china is fuel enough to get the devs speaking out.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'd support a blanket ban for US tech companies to do business in China.

I expect the US to use all of the stuff that's going on for that.

I guess you'll all support it, sadly it will make some countries like mine go to shit in economics since both the US and China are our main buyers of exports, but the US is closing on itself. Hell, it will probably make the world more dependant on China