• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
kamiu5mtkfr31.jpg
Wow.

I wonder how many games ban Tiananmen from being said in the in-game chat. Or even stuff like Winnie the Pooh.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Shame the global governments of resetera users can't get off their asses to do something about the Hong Kong protests. As meek and as cowardly as blizzard but not held as accountable as a tournament organiser.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the morale is rock bottom for low level employees working on Blizzcon material right now, where Blizzcon is virtually guaranteed to severely stripped down or outright cancelled at this rate.
Blizzard learned that Hong Kong is one of the only places in Asia that Westerners actually care about the hard way.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Shame the global governments of resetera users can't get off their asses to do something about the Hong Kong protests. As meek and as cowardly as blizzard but not held as accountable as a tournament organiser.
What? You want me to ignore the Blizzard situation because my Austrian government is shit too? What?

Edit: sorry, it sounds like you're trying to point out a double standard or something, when i don't think there us one. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Edit2: Thinking about it and re-reading, nah, I'm pretty sure what you're doing here is textbook whataboutism

Last edited:

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like I'm going to uninstall overwatch and not buy CoD until they learn their lesson and reverse course. Absolutely disgusting behavior by Blizzard.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is "Fuck Blizzard" something all political divisions in the US can get behind? Or are some of them pro-Chinese atrocities for some terrible reason?
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen more republican outrage between this and the NBA, given it seems like an easy win, especially since it would distract from the impeachment talks.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
? Regardless of your feelings Hong Kong is not an independent country, never has been. This isn't a Taiwan situation.
It was a different country than China, that's for sure. If UK couldn't keep it because it was a de jure colony, its citizen deserve to live their lives like in a civilized country where people don't get forced to abortion or to sell organs.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is "Fuck Blizzard" something all political divisions in the US can get behind? Or are some of them pro-Chinese atrocities for some terrible reason?

I honestly think Blizzivision has managed to do the unthinkable, and draw the united ire of both the left and the right. It's almost impressive how incompetently and tone deafly this has been handled.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Blizzard is an easy target because they're small in the grand scheme of things, but capitalism will start to protect itself eventually. It's easy to go after Blizzard for this specific civil rights violation, but once you start pulling the blinders back and see how many other conglomerates have been appealing to the CPP's whims over the last couple decades you're going to start seeing heavier resistance. Once we move the crosshair to say, Disney, you're going to see a lot more people shutting up and a lot of news sources no longer interested in pursing the story.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The in-game chat for BFV censors out Tiananmen.

Too many US and Western tech companies have their fingers in the fascist pie. This isn't a problem with only Blizzard.

If something is weird with the automatic chat filter, best place to write about it would be the official forums / the answers hq help website.

We were censoring things like "white men" before, which became a meme on Reddit, mostly due to these terms being included in publicly available bad words databases, that can be correct but also can be weirdly wrong. At one point even LOL was censored in our tests for some inexplicable reason.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm not going to blizzcon but if I were I'd be carrying protest signs. I hope people do and I really wonder if staff at the event would try to do anything about it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How do you feel about stuff like this?

On the one hand, it may appear to be making light of the situation and take the edge off the criticism, turn anger into laughter for some.
But I'm thinking that this kind of dark, critical, memey humor is good to reach people and spread the message, so to say.

If something is weird with the automatic chat filter, best place to write about it would be the official forums / the answers hq help website.

We were censoring things like "white men" before, which became a meme on Reddit, mostly due to these terms being included in publicly available bad words databases, that can be correct but also can be weirdly wrong. At one point even LOL was censored in our tests for some inexplicable reason.
Yeah, auto filters kinda suck. I'll never forget when I kept getting censored in Ragnarok Online for using the word "weniger" for a while, which means "less" in German, but includes an unfortunate combination of letters. Still not sure if I'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt regarding China, at this point, which is why I agree, it's important to report and give the people in charge a chance to either fix it or confirm suspicions.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is an easy target because they're small in the grand scheme of things, but capitalism will start to protect itself eventually. It's easy to go after Blizzard for this specific civil rights violation, but once you start pulling the blinders back and see how many other conglomerates have been appealing to the CPP's whims over the last couple decades you're going to start seeing heavier resistance. Once we move the crosshair to say, Disney, you're going to see a lot more people shutting up and a lot of news sources no longer interested in pursing the story.
While I totally agree, Blizzard checked off two marks that a lot of companies have not in regards to China.
[ ✔ ] Previously beloved company
[ ✔ ] Openly silenced freedom of speech to serve another country's interests

Most scummy companies will have just one of those but the Blizz situation is a little more glaring for certain reasons. I know we'll be dealing with this sort of thing for a long time to come though with a lot of our favorite companies, publishers, studios, etc

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. Please keep doubling down Blizzard. The more you do the more fence sitters will join the cause.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
This is despicable man. You'd think that a company that relies on the masses for money would...you know, be there for the masses? Deplorable move on Blizzard's part. Cancelling CoD and Overwatch Switch asap and uninstalling battlenet. Bye Blizzard. You won't be missed. Good luck at BlizzCon this year.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It was a different country than China, that's for sure. If UK couldn't keep it because it was a de jure colony, its citizen deserve to live their lives like in a civilized country where people don't get forced to abortion or to sell organs.

Sure but again, Hong Kong is not a sovereign nation, never has been.

I feel that a lot of people in the west view the protest as a fight to become an independent country but none of the five demands are about that.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dude im not sure why youre being dickish about this, you have multiple people confused in this very thread, it's just for clarity's sake. Yes, it's fucking horrible whichever branch said it, but it IS different where it came from, if only because its expected coming from China. Hell you started the topic implying this is "hot off the presses Blizzard just doubled down on this!" when no, this is the statement they put out in China yesterday when it happened.

The statue being made in China is lol

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
While I totally agree, Blizzard checked off two marks that a lot of companies have not in regards to China.
[ ✔ ] Previously beloved company
[ ✔ ] Openly silenced freedom of speech to serve another country's interests

Most scummy companies will have just one of those but the Blizz situation is a little more glaring for certain reasons. I know we'll be dealing with this sort of thing for a long time to come though with a lot of our favorite companies, publishers, studios, etc
The timing is also impeccable, which helps a lot with visibility. The South Park episode being banned was in the mainstream news cycle, the NBA just did the exact same thing in both directions, and Blizzard ends up in the exact same position but without the clout or power that an organization like the NBA has.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but again, Hong Kong is not a sovereign nation, never has been.

I feel that a lot of people in the west view the protest as a fight to become an independent country but none of the five demands are about that.

Hong Kong has existed as essentially an autonomous state for the past 20 or so years. It's economy basically classifies it as its own nation. They want to continue to be that autonomous state. I want them to be that. Give them their freedom.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be getting the next Diablo after all. Fuck, Blizzard for being craven bootlickers to an evil regime.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Hong Kong has existed as essentially an autonomous state for the past 20 or so years. It's economy basically classifies it as its own nation. They want to continue to be that autonomous state. I want them to be that. Give them their freedom.

You know the two system one country deal was only up to 2047? This arrangement was never going to last forever.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Just when I was thinking of buying Diablo III on Switch. Fuck that shit (and Divinity Original Sin 2 seems better anyway), fuck Blizzard.

I knew some companies would do ANYTHING for money, but this is beyond fucked up.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you feel about stuff like this?

On the one hand, it may appear to be making light of the situation and take the edge off the criticism, turn anger into laughter for some.
But I'm thinking that this kind of dark, critical, memey humor is good to reach people and spread the message, so to say.

Yeah, auto filters kinda suck. I'll never forget when I kept getting censored in Ragnarok Online for using the word "weniger" for a while, which means "less" in German, but includes an unfortunate combination of letters. Still not sure if I'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt regarding China, at this point, which is why I agree, it's important to report and give the people in charge a chance to either fix it or confirm suspicions.

I don't see those two examples as making light of the situation at all, they're both good.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The unique thing about memes in this instance is how sensitive China can be in their reaction to them. It's why Winnie the Pooh is a meme - no one would care if China didn't try to stamp out its presence.

Weaponizing memes to achieve a result can actually happen here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The timing is also impeccable, which helps a lot with visibility. The South Park episode being banned was in the mainstream news cycle, the NBA just did the exact same thing in both directions, and Blizzard ends up in the exact same position but without the clout or power that an organization like the NBA has.
So true, SP was unbelievably timely and on point to help set the public standard on the issue.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard China, you definitely win my respect, and I will always support your game.
This is my freedom of expression.

I am Chinese, who lives in Europe.
And due to this, I have access to the news from 2 sides, China media and Western media.
I wouldn't say all the news from China media is the truth, but I can definitely say the news from Western media about China is not always truth.
What happened in Hong Kong is a big mess.
Look at the destroyed shops, destroyed banks, destroyed public transportation and destroyed street.
Ordinary people's life is heavily affected and the economy will be negatively impacted. At the end, the people who will suffer from this is Hong Kong people.
Really hope Hong Kong government can put this into an end and Hong Kong can go back to its peaceful days.

I understand I will be the minor in Era. But I really think i need to defend my country, so many unfair criticism to my country.

And in the end, I welcome Era members to visit my country.
It is not as same as described on the western media.
We don't have Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc, but we have our own social networks and people living in China do not miss Facebook, Youtube, etc.
We have our free lives. Just come to our country and to experience it.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard China, you definitely win my respect, and I will always support your game.
This is my freedom of expression.

I am Chinese, who lives in Europe.
And due to this, I have access to the news from 2 sides, China media and Western media.
I wouldn't say all the news from China media is the truth, but I can definitely say the news from Western media about China is not always truth.
What happened in Hong Kong is a big mess.
Look at the destroyed shops, destroyed banks, destroyed public transportation and destroyed street.
Ordinary people's life is heavily affected and the economy will be negatively impacted. At the end, the people who will suffer from this is Hong Kong people.
Really hope Hong Kong government can put this into an end and Hong Kong can go back to its peaceful days.

I understand I will be the minor in Era. But I really think i need to defend my country, so many unfair criticism to my country.

And in the end, I welcome Era members to visit my country.
It is not as same as described on the western media.
We don't have Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc, but we have our own social networks and people living in China do not miss Facebook, Youtube, etc.
We have our free lives. Just come to our country and to experience it.
Shut up bootlicker

Oct 27, 2017

Please read my post above and report a bug if you think something is weird with the chat filter.
Admittedly, I don't own BFV, but I will test the chat filter in BF1 and write about it if I find anything.

From your posts, can we infer that it would be "weird" for you to censor things like Tiananmen Square massacre and liberate Hong Kong?