• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
blizzard just isnt the same anymore. All their core values down the toilet for money...fucking disgusting.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People in the west have this false idea that people in China are repressed and hate their system of government.

This isn't like the Eastern Bloc where most citizens knew Communism wasn't working and that their governments were fairly inept. The Chinese will stand by the CPC as long as they keep the economy moving forward. Even if economic downturn starts to hit, the CPC has earned 30+ years of undying goodwill to help ride it out. Contrast that with the Soviet Union where the country was crumbling by the 1980s.

For the average Chinese person who is doing well (key word: doing better than they were in the past), why would they ever want to change things? Many of these people think that the concept of a liberal democracy is a joke. "Why would I ever want the freedom to say whatever I want and potentially rock the boat?" "Why would I want random people to run and be elected when the meritocratic CPC never screws up?" "Why would I want to promote art that damages the face of my country?". Instead of using whataboutism to detract from the negatives, the negatives themselves have now become positives.

I honestly find it a bit of a terrifying irreconcilable difference when talking with certain international students here in Canada.

It's absolutely diabolical and makes me wonder how long this can go on. The growing middle class in China means more and more citizens will be fine giving up personal liberties for economic prosperity.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the stock hasn't budged in the last few days. They probably tell themselves that it's their fiduciary duty to protect their Chinese market. I wonder how long it takes until their US market starts taking a hit. What then? Which market will they prioritize?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
People in the west have this false idea that people in China are repressed and hate their system of government.

This isn't like the Eastern Bloc where most citizens knew Communism wasn't working and that their governments were fairly inept. The Chinese will stand by the CPC as long as they keep the economy moving forward. Even if economic downturn starts to hit, the CPC has earned 30+ years of undying goodwill to help ride it out. Contrast that with the Soviet Union where the country was crumbling by the 1980s.

For the average Chinese person who is doing well (key word: doing better than they were in the past), why would they ever want to change things? Many of these people think that the concept of a liberal democracy is a joke. "Why would I ever want the freedom to say whatever I want and potentially rock the boat?" "Why would I want random people to run and be elected when the meritocratic CPC never screws up?" "Why would I want to promote art that damages the face of my country?". Instead of using whataboutism to detract from the negatives, the negatives themselves have now become positives.

I honestly find it a bit of a terrifying irreconcilable difference when talking with certain international students here in Canada.
Great post. This is what I gathered from my trip last month as well. There's been an immense amount of progress to the point where things are barely recognizable from visit to visit. Things that happen in Xinjiang and HK and TW don't affect your average Chinese citizen a bit, so they have no impetus to care as long as progress continues.

I'll also add that a lot of the people who aren't bought into this have emigrated from China, my family included. We visited my dad's village (they're still under the collectivist farming system) last month and he told me, "look, if you grew up here, wouldn't you do your best to leave?" There's a big gulf in attitudes between first-generation Chinese emigrants like me who left post-Tiananmen and some of the younger generation I've met in the US on a student or work visa.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It's absolutely diabolical and makes me wonder how long this can go on. The growing middle class in China means more and more citizens will be fine giving up personal liberties for economic prosperity.

It's not just a thing of systematic brainwash. Here in Chile people still defend what Pinochet did because he "fixed the economy" and "saved us from not being Venezuela"

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
If i was blizzard now Id get tencent's grubby fingers out of the company and try and salvage what goodwill they have left. This isnt going to blow over like they think.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
money over morals. Capitalism is truly a failure. It will allow for human rights abuses to occur and honestly it has for some time.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's not the same company that made great game after great game. Their best game right now is a re-release of a 16 year old game and even then they completely and utterly underestimated how many people wanted to play it, which pretty much sums up how out of touch they are.

The talent has long gone, Diablo 4 has been rebooted god knows how many times, and they're banning players for speaking up.

Blizzard are a shitshow.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
There's a big gulf in attitudes between first-generation Chinese emigrants like me who left post-Tiananmen and some of the younger generation I've met in the US on a student or work visa.

Definitely true. And incidentally, this gulf coincides with a massive overhaul of the education system that took place post-Tiananmen, away from the Marxism of old and toward the nationalism and CCP-as-national-savior narrative.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If i was blizzard now Id get tencent's grubby fingers out of the company and try and salvage what goodwill they have left. This isnt going to blow over like they think.

This is probably less to do with Tencent's 5% stake and more to do with Blizzard not wanting to lose their Chinese revenue stream.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck off...

giphy.gif

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I know people like to throw Tencent around during all this but I think people are honestly really ignoring how much time Blizzard spent trying to push and promote their games to the Chinese market for well over a decade. My main point being it likely has 0 to do with Tencent.

Oct 25, 2017
I know people like to throw Tencent around during all this but I think people are honestly really ignoring how much time Blizzard spent trying to push and promote their games to the Chinese market for well over a decade. My main point being it likely has 0 to do with Tencent.

Yeah thats gonna be a no from me. Why even defend tencent

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

A person can assume that Tancent has a part to do with this. Blizzard has spent a lot of time getting into the Chinese market. They were rewarded in part by help from Tancent as any company trying to get into the Chinese market has to work with Tancent to make that possible. Tancent does have something to do with this even if it is not as directly as point A to point B.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... where does Blizzard even have its headquarters? How can they allow something like this?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
A person can assume that Tancent has a part to do with this. Blizzard has spent a lot of time getting into the Chinese market. They were rewarded in part by help from Tancent as any company trying to get into the Chinese market has to work with Tancent to make that possible. Tancent does have something to do with this even if it is not as directly as point A to point B.
Tencent is not the only gaming company in China. Bungie is currently working with Netease, and Valve with Perfect World, for example.
This is absolutely not a Tencent thing and absolutely is a Blizzard thing. Blizzard products are immensely popular in China--don't forget how well the World of Warcraft did. This is most definitely Blizzard doing their best not to offend the Chinese market to not hurt revenue there.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Tencent is not the only gaming company in China. Bungie is currently working with Netease, and Valve with Perfect World, for example.
This is absolutely not a Tencent thing and absolutely is a Blizzard thing. Blizzard products are immensely popular in China--don't forget how well the World of Warcraft did. This is most definitely Blizzard doing their best not to offend the Chinese market to not hurt revenue there.

So then you don't think if Blizzard ended staying quiet that Tancent would not have said a thing? I believe Tancent being ingrained in Blizz did play a part in Blizzards decision as well as the relationship they have with gaming in China even if Tancent said nothing the working relationship Blizzard has with them played a part in Blizzards decision.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that tencent has nothing to do with it. When they are heavily engrained in the govt of china and have 5% of Blizzard.
I don't see how that constitutes as a defense of Tencent as a company if I'm instead looking at all the years Blizzard has spent working on their penetration of the Chinese market more so than a 5% shareholder. To the individual I responded to, I don't think anything would be different is Tencent had 0% stake in Blizzard. I don't see a realistic scenario where Blizzard would throw away all the time they spent targeting the Chinese market. I maintain, that's not a defense of Tencent.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I agree sadly. They could of said so much more. When it comes to the GOTY videos they really do get into the grit of this stuff. Hopefully they don't hold back when It comes to it. It's going to be a long episode.

They seem to don't know much outside of videogames, and maybe we shouldn't expect much more from them in the first place...

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
So is Blizzard, with the phones thing

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The middle class is shrinking on a global perspective though. China is the outlier.

Not that part, the part of people of people giving up their liberties for personal safety/stability. Not only the middle class is doing that... it's being going on since the Patriot Act, in 2001.

Basically all this century, and globally

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not that part, the part of people of people giving up their liberties for personal safety/stability. Not only the middle class is doing that... it's being going on since the Patriot Act, in 2001. Basically all this century

Well yeah. Even fucking Marvel got in on this.

a7efd407232cbc8be3cebb364207f298.jpg

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Governments should be taxing the shit out of any company that does business or imports from China at this point

Oct 28, 2017
Reading posts for this incident as usual and and I saw user [S]leon9506[/S] banned for "banned (duration pending): denying the existence of an oppressive regime and atrocities over a series of posts "

This makes me sad as this person is only trying to give his/her own opinion on this, and as a chinese living in China, I would say 'chinese people under an oppressive regime' is controversial at best, I can also understand why people in the west think this is an undisputed fact which is another topic,but what if we are indeed not under oppressive regime? who will be the one to tell you this?

I for one, also dispprove Blizzard ban thier player for his opinion(while I also have different opinion), but mod of Era banning user with reason like this is no different then what Blizzard have done.

I wonder how the Uyghurs would feel about your defense of the Chinese government. You know, the ones that aren't in concentration camps or getting their organs harvested.

Filibuster

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

As a Vietnamese, let me tell you how it works in our country, might give anyone interested in this understand better:

You should add the fact that the government officials are not sitting in their chair giving orders. They are actually very active and quite "nosy" (by nosy I mean they show interest in what people do and are willing to take part in and enact policy to support), and they are no fools. Seriously, compare them to your Republican leaders and remove the lust for money with sincere beliefs in the system and you have what Jroc describes. As long as people in a leadership position "publicly show" (this part in quotes because the majority do believe and some may not but will toe the line as if that line is their lifeline) that they are genuine in their concerns and interests, which let people see that mistakes are unavoidable and forgiving them a good thing. As a result, it makes anyone critical look like fools and a lot of the critics will, most definitely, question their stance at least sometimes and doubt is a powerful deterrence to any opposition.

They are also very critical of themselves too and then reevaluate their position and improve to a degree, it is most definitely not a joke to them that they are above criticism and improvement. Most of the time, to their credits, the people, affected by issues they cannot ignore, see their lives improved. This makes the critics' position very weak because not only do they have little power but also most of the solutions are always in the hands of the government or big corporations with ties to the state. It makes things like complaints work but further criticism a dead end. Add in things like NED, CIA, etc. and you know even the hard-working, well-educated will hedge their bet on the government than the "useless" critics. A lot of the critics also give in too because as you know no one wants to be a pariah in their own community just to hold their principle which most likely are not too different from the government. Patriotism is a strong belief and with strong governance the effects are multiplied. Seriously, do you ever hear about any criticism against the government from China along the traitorous line?

More than that, critical arguments themselves are always made popular by state media which leaves the critics hanging. Individualism and personal credits are not regarded if you are challenging the system. They can always discard ideas from such sources without opposition from within.

In addition, people who side with the government are rewarded handsomely. By that I mean they get praise from the government and the community alike. You should understand that the government does not differentiate itself from the people. People's army, people's court, people's assembly... you name it and the people follow, believe and trust them too. These words in English may not mean a lot but the "people" part is as important to a good part of the country as the Second Amendment in the US. This gives people confidence in the system. Seriously, compare the way our bureaucracy work in a ten year period and they are very different, enabled by the advance in technology, along with it further prosperity of the people. If you keep being rewarded for such work and a lot of people like you do, opposition is definitely sugar-coated poison.

All in all, pressing issues are always considered and addressed to a very, and I do mean very effective degree and therefore challenges to the system are considered not sincere, destabilizing and dangerous and are always discarded as ultimately unsustainable and ineffective which results in critics are left pariah and unsupported, and I mean that seriously. If your ideas of opposition are not recognized by the state you may as well talk to a wall because your neighbors most definitely won't. Effective governance under social harmony trumps all in Asian society (at least the East-Asian origin part, you can see this to a degree in Japan, with their one-party dominance) and you should understand that the people are not outside the system and their concerns are addressed which make further measures of democracy unpopular, and I mean that people actually really hate it. They would rather do serious harm to themselves rather than listening to criticism of the state and calls for revolutions like the Hong Kong protests are actually a matter of existence, as the government brings it out as a separatist movement, no joke intended. Let's try how popular California Independence here in Era is and you will understand, disregard logic for a moment and think about that. People are involved in governance in ways that will make it hard to "devolve" and should they do, will be dealt with, with little support from their neighbors at best or with support to the government from their neighbors most likely.

I really would love for people, at least on Era, to acknowledge that the picture you are getting are very different from what the Chinese are getting and if you are looking for changes, better commit yourselves harder than what you have been doing for the Kurds because that is not gonna cut it; because the Chinese are definitely listening to their government and that one is what the Chinese government commit themselves to task with and promise that the opposite is a given to the Chinese people, that it will not leave Chinese hanging, regardless of the dissenting voices and opposing forces. Such commitments are a cause to die for especially for the Chinese since the state has lasted longer than most of their lives (Seriously, 70 years while their average age is at what, 50-60?) and quite frankly, should the state call people to arms to protect them as their inheritance, the Chinese will do it in a heartbeat and will devote their lives for it because the government more than earned it. When even your gramps agree that their lives keep on improving non-stop for 30 years any opposition is a joke

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
This is completely fucked. Hoping Blizzcon will be as ridiculous as it deserves.