Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
To clarify how we are moderating these discussions, we're making it clear the following are not allowed and will be actioned:

1) Posts which downplay, minimize, marginalize, dismiss, excuse, or hand-wave TotalBiscuit's involvement in a hate movement.

2) Posts that are inflammatory or drive by in nature that paint broad strokes about this thread or people posting in it.

Edit: It's kind of a moot point now I guess, but it'd be nice if we could stay on topic of Blizzard doing something nice for his widow, instead of derailing the thread into attacks on the man.

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/22481041

In appreciation for the contributions the Bain family have made to StarCraft II, we've created a collection of commemorative cosmetics for the game. 100% of the funds received from the sale of these items will go directly to Genna and their son, Orion. In the wake of a tragic loss, it is our way of saying thank you to the Bain family for all they've done for StarCraft II.

In addition, any future sales of John's Announcer Pack, less applicable taxes, will also go directly to support the family. This retroactively includes any purchases made from the beginning of this past April.

The bundle will be available this week. Please note that the commemorative bundle is a limited-time offer; it will no longer be available once it sells out or after December 31, 2018, whichever comes first.

bRu7qp3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how a digital item made for charity purposes sells out, why limit the number of units for sale other than to make them rare?

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how a digital item made for charity purposes sells out, why limit the number of units for sale other than to make them rare?

I would assume it's to create a feeling of artificial scarcity, which can drive purchases

I guess it's nice they're doing this, but I wouldn't buy it given the nebulous accounting going on in that household in the past.

edit: Before somebody asks what I'm talking about, check out this thread

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Presumably paying to a charity in perpetuity with random amounts as the sales trickle is legally complicated. Also there might be a cap on how much they're willing to donate based on certain rules, and they can set the amount to that cap. Companies donating to charities is a very complicated legal process.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
They should include a cosmetic item that shows the amount of sexist followers TotalBiscuit sent after women in games whenever he went after them. Or the time he denied there was racism in the UK. Or the time when he supported Gamergate.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them, Blizzard. Whether or not you liked him, TB was influential for better or worse. He was definitely a positive influence towards Blizzard.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Good on them, Blizzard. Whether or not you liked him, TB was influential for better or worse. He was definitely a positive influence towards Blizzard.
You can handwave away all the shitty things a person did because they were "influential"?

This is a really strange decision from Blizzard.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Derailing, extreme false equivalency

So was Hitler.

Wait what? How can a company that promotes diversity be this fucking stupid.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You can handwave away all the shitty things a person did because they were "influential"?

This is a really strange decision from Blizzard.
Like him or not(I'm in the latter side), TB was a very popular person in gaming who also did a lot with Blizzard games. It's not really a strange decision to see them give him some props and help out his family.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Like him or not(I'm in the latter side), TB was a very popular person in gaming who also did a lot with Blizzard games. It's not really a strange decision to see them give him some props and help out his family.
I definitely like the sentiment, but given consumer reaction to A Hat in Time, The Last Night, and most recently The Messenger, I thought they might have steered well clear of TB.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the revenues from the TotalBiscuit announcer voice pack dating back to April are being retroactively contributed to the family. When John was near the end, and when he passed, there was significant interest in purchasing SC2 cosmetics like this as a conduit for material support, and a lot of people gravitated towards the existing voice pack as the only option that presumably made some kind of contribution in royalties, though nobody was really clear on how much would be paid forward. Blizzard must certainly have noticed an uptick in sales, and they didn't need to accommodate them as a retroactive form of contribution if they didn't want to, but they have done so anyway out of goodwill. (That, and I think a lot of people would be miffed at the lack of transparency if they felt like they had contributed through the shop already via the announcer pack, and were being asked to pay in again.)

Absolutely the right move and also an excellent implementation. In case anyone is wondering about why there is both a time and quantity limit on bundle sales, it's presumably to spare Genna Bain any further unwelcome difficulties with taxes.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
He did great things for the SC2 scene. When most tournament organizers, teams, and sponsors were running away from the scene. TB had his own team with reasonable salaries, he was flying his players all over the world. He was running his own tournaments, and supporting other team tournaments with his team.

Some very memorable matches happened during his tournaments.

He was doing all this while running all his YouTube stuff and podcasts.

It's been really sad to hear that during the last years of his illness, they were really running into debt thanks to our health care system.

Thanks to Blizzard for doing this.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm never buying Starcraft II then if this is how they reward people who harass women.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
TotalBiscuit was an undesirable individual, and Blizzard honoring his legacy in any way is a disappointment.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely like the sentiment, but given consumer reaction to A Hat in Time, The Last Night, and most recently The Messenger, I thought they might have steered well clear of TB.
The thing with TB is that they already saw the consumer reaction and it was immensely positive when he passed away, likewise when he was still alive. Us dudes who didn't like TB, for whatever reason we may have, are a pretty tiny minority.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what happened with these?

I heard nothing at all about those games' controversies outside of old gaf/era.

A hat in time had jontron as a voice for some NPC I believe. Last night's creator said some pretty radical GG-tier stuff a few years back but has apologized for it recently. Not sure about the other, don't think I heard about that one.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
So... what happened with these?
Nothing out of the ordinary has happened. The other poster didn't really explain anything. Era and other places threw up a fit about these being alt-right/gamergate games due to what dev/team members have said on social media. Which besides maybe The Last Night (because it's the only thing that can be discussed about that game as there is no other info), the "consumer reaction" seems to be normal. I haven't even heard the controversy about The Messenger myself.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So was Hitler.

Wait what? How can a company that promotes diversity be this fucking stupid.

are you trying to say TB was as bad as hitler

is this what we have reached

Out of everything, this is what you choose to equate TB to?

hmmm

Either way, he left a family behind. They should definitely be supported.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Good on Blizzard. Both TB and Genna had some form of cancer which is absolutely tragic for a young married couple to go through.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
are you trying to say TB was as bad as hitler

is this what we have reached

Out of everything, this is what you choose to equate TB to?

hmmm

Either way, he left a family behind. They should definitely be supported.

No I'm not. I'm just saying he's incredibly influential and should be celebrated for it, by your logic.

Cut them a fucking check and call it a day.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to see someone like him memorialized like this, even before you consider potential issues with donating to the family specifically. (EDIT: To be clear, going by what others have posted here on that bit. All I knew prior to that was the stuff about their house.)

As for the other thing being discussed, the only thing I've heard about The Messenger was a bad joke early on that they thankfully patched out (or removed pre-release?). I'm not sure if there's more to that.

Weeb

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
He did a lot of good to Blizzard games and to the community, props to blizz to do the best and help to support his wounded family.

Mad respect and I am glad that the gaming community is way bigger than Era.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm not. I'm just saying he's incredibly influential and should be celebrated for it, by your logic.

taking my logic in a vacuum, my logic of a video gamer and how he was present to commentate for WoW pvp/Starcraft PvP, and to apply it to hitler

buddy

Calm down and stand down. I'm talking about Totalbiscuit and how he contributed to blizzard and their esports. How you bring hitler out of that

what the hell are you talking about. Consider yourself on the ignore list

bringing hitler into this

oh my god that's laughable.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Proceeds going to Genna, who is going through chemo right now: cool.

Products honoring a shitty person with a history of engaging in and encouraging the harassment of women who speak out about abuse online: not cool.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
People who think ResetEra is the center of the gaming universe, it seems.
The thing with TB is that they already saw the consumer reaction and it was immensely positive when he passed away, likewise when he was still alive. Us dudes who didn't like TB, for whatever reason we may have, are a pretty tiny minority.
He did a lot of good to Blizzard games and to the community, props to blizz to do the best and help to support his wounded family.
Mad respect and I am glad that the gaming community is way bigger than Era.

Yeah, yeah. He did a lot of good for the gaming community. You think his promoting a game makes him a good person in light of all the other things he did? You think he made gaming a better space for everyone? You are wrong, he did the opposite.

They should include a cosmetic item that shows the amount of sexist followers TotalBiscuit sent after women in games whenever he went after them. Or the time he denied there was racism in the UK. Or the time when he supported Gamergate.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Starcraft 2 came out 8 years ago.

With content released up till, what, 2-3 years ago? It's not exactly a ridiculous idea that someone might still end up buying it and playing it.

I mean, I've bought/borrowed and played PS2 games in the past year.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, yeah. He did a lot of good for the gaming community. You think his promoting a game makes him a good person in light of all the other things he did? You think he made gaming a better space for everyone? You are wrong, he did the opposite.
Why, exactly, did you quote me? Did you even read what I said?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Why, exactly, did you quote me? Did you even read what I said?

You said it isn't a strange decision to honor him, but from a moral point of view it absolutely is. I won't group you with the other posters, that wouldn't be fair to you, but I disagree with your sentiment that Blizzard made a sensible decision.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a massive simplification and furthermore a binary view of who he was as a person, regardless of any mistakes he made, even if you take this post at face value which is foolish to do.

With content released up till, what, 2-3 years ago? It's not exactly a ridiculous idea that someone might still end up buying it and playing it.

I mean, I've bought/borrowed and played PS2 games in the past year.

It's still getting content updates and is growing in viewership and player base.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This thread should have been locked as soon as the person, most likely a kid who knows fuck all about the Holocaust, tried to compare TB to Hitler before walking it back to save face. I didn't love the guy but that is some nutty, ignorant, bullshit right there. Learn your history before you spew ignorance. I mean Jesus Christ.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's telling that a bunch of posters latched on to the Hitler comparison rather than engage with any of his troubling actions.