• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
A follow-on to one of the stories that broke earlier this year
www.resetera.com

IGN: Blizzard - Men would walk into the breastfeeding room and just stare

https://www.ign.com/articles/inside-activision-blizzards-week-of-reckoning Some good reporting by Kat Bailey here. I know 2-3 people who work in Blizzard's customer service, and despite all of this, they still say they hope things can change. I very much doubt that.

male employees stole their lactating colleagues' breast milk at Blizzard

I can corroborate this, and I am likely the origin of this statement (though I don't remember telling this specific person).

I was the one of the first, if not the first, woman to use the new "quiet rooms."

At that time they consisted of a chair, side table, and light.

This was in 2008.

There was no fridge in the room, so I had to label and carry my breastmilk out and store it in the breakroom fridge. It was very clearly breastmilk, in baggies with a baby's face on it.

It was clearly mine, as I was the only lactating woman in the building.

One day, I went to retrieve my pumped supply at the end of the day and it was gone.

There were no other mothers in the building, & very few women at all in either QA or CS at the time.

All the other items I had seen earlier were still in the fridge. They were dated and labeled.

Someone had either taken my bags and tossed them, or stolen them for some creepy reason.

This was devastating, not just for the creep factor but because I was already very low on supply and had a baby who wouldn't latch. I was already supplementing and struggling to get milk.

We never ever found out who did it. To their credit, my HR rep and my department's director swiftly provided a mini fridge and other improvements to the room within 24 hours. But it should never have happened in the first place.

What demented person steals an infant's food?

Another note is that for both post-maternity situations, I consistently felt judged and otherwise penalized for having to pump every hour/two hours. With my second baby, I also suffered from severe mastitis, which required me to "air out" and medicate my nipples after pumping.

Which meant I had to sit topless for a good amount of time after pumping. It was so severe, I lost some batches of milk due to contamination from my own blood.

I tried to mitigate this time loss by buying a Surface and remoting into my station/calling into meetings.

Still, I ended up experiencing loss of project duties and received a lot of negative attitude from my male bosses and male middle management due to my lack of ability to physically be in the room, even though I was in the office and actively working and responding to comms.

After the pandemic, perhaps being able to remote in won't have the same stigma and people will realize that you CAN be just as productive, if not more so, when not physically present. Especially if you're disabled or a caregiver. If leadership decides to let you do so, that is.

I have related the stolen milk story to a lot of people, however, so I would be unsurprised if it's become a story that's a regular part of one of the feminine/marginalized people "whisper campaigns" - y'know, where we all warn each other about shit and specific people on the DL.

Is that the post from my wife?

She has more to add, like the time she was literally rejected from the pumping room in Building 7 more than once from men on Team 1 using it to take naps.

Wife said I'd be remiss not to share: the locks on the doors were removed.

And HR defended the nap room behavior as a legitimate use of the rooms.

When my wife and others pointed out the LEGAL REQUIREMENT of a lactation room, HR said it didn't have to be exclusively for that.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking christ. You can't even make this shit up at this point.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
we even have Breastmilk bandits at Blizzard?

Jun 20, 2021
Congratulations to Call of Duty: Warzone on it's Best Ongoing Game nomination (and probably win) tonight!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, it does.

Once again, fuck Activision Blizzard.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
9bfa64a3edc4d83773b37c9141341370.gif

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
This is so deranged and humiliating, there's just no end to the awfulness coming out.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
What is there left to say at this point, Blizzard just seems full to the eyeballs with cunts. That's a baby's food...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why does every revelation reach a low I didn't think possible?

Rejected from the pumping room, because men were taking naps? The fuck you say?

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
I think the worst part in all of this aside from the obvious abuse these women and their children endured is the fact that these creeps won't be properly punished if at all.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What in the actual fuck.

1. What's wrong with these people?!
2. What the f is up with Blizzard?
3. Why the f didn't HR do anything. Even if they don't give a shit about their employees, this sort of publicity is cancer to company.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This company is wild, these aren't things I would think would happen but stealing breast milk. Food from a child?

Too far.
joker-even-to-a-guy-like-me.gif

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Oh God now I'm imagining someone re-enacting that creepy ass Homelander scene.

Oct 27, 2017
"This was devastating, not just for the creep factor but because I was already very low on supply and had a baby who wouldn't latch. I was already supplementing and struggling to get milk."

People don't realize how stressful this situation is when your supplies merely aren't being stolen. Add the thefts and denial of space and it's just that much worse.

My kid was a baby not too long after the events of the account in the OP, and my wife had to find unoccupied rooms in her office that she could lock the door and try to pump privately. Corporate environments were poorly accommodating for this even 10-12 years ago.

Mar 23, 2018
What the absolute fuck is wrong with all of these people. What the fuck. I can only chuckle in disbelief at such a bunch of assholes actually having a job there, WTF

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Never playing another Activision Blizzard game. I just can't look past all these stories that are coming out.