• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
On November 03, 2017, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. filed in New Zealand via the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand a trademark application for "Battle for Azeroth".

bfa2ekj5.png
Source: https://app.iponz.govt.nz/app/Extra/IP/Mutual/Browse.aspx?sid=636453575081734753

While this may seem legit, remember that in the past several hoaxes have existed regarding trademark applications by Blizzard. However, the way the trademark application process works in New Zealand I am more inclined to believe this is an actual filing by Blizzard.

BlizzCon 2017 is just mere hours away, so we will know very soon what this is about. It may be for the mobile game they are working on, it may be for the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion set or it may be for something else entirely.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If it's WoW related, I'll be disappointed. Then again, I don't know what kind of (story) content would make me excited for the game :/ Legion peaked my interest...

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty generic name. If that actually is the xpac title, I'd lean more towards it being faction war centric than N'zoth centric, but it could go just about any direction. (Especially since the lead in from 7.3 seems to be hinting at a battle for the titan Azeroth's blood)

3n3rgy

Oct 27, 2017
In my dreams, it'll be a spiritual successor to Warcraft III.

A man can dream.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah if it's legit I could totally see this being a mobile game. Wonder if Blizzard couod piggyback off of King's advertisement /platform strategy.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that trademarks like this have been faked before (ex. Eye of Azshara and Corgis Unleashed).

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I can definitely see this being a mobile based thing. Didn't they just have a position open on their website for a mobile developer for a MMO?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sounds like a mobile game. The title is a bit generic for a WoW expansion, but I guess we'll see.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll bet my WoW account this is an iOS/Android game. However, I'm all in!

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got $100 ready to rock for dem tasty loot boxes.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard + mobile game economics sounds like a dangerous combination.

For me, mostly. And my wallet.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, definitely sounds like a generic name for a mobile title or the like. Too bad this is likely the closest we'll get to a new Warcraft RTS anytime soon.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Don't we get a million of these trademarks before every Blizzcon? And pretty much all of 'em fake?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Definitely sounds like a mobile game. I expect a generic battler with collectible cards and other shit. Not interested.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is making a Warcraft based MMO RTS, so presumably this is that.
An MMO RTS? Would this be a new thing, or are there already MMO RTSes in the world right now? It's the first time I ever read that term. How would that even work? Like that browser game 'Utopia' from 15 years ago?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that would make sense. Was it leaked a while back or did you hear something?
Technically I'm putting two separate job postings together, but they had one job for a new Warcraft mobile game, and another for a mobile MMO RTS. I don't have any inside info here.

An MMO RTS? Would this be a new thing, or are there already MMO RTSes in the world right now? It's the first time I ever read that term. How would that even work? Like that browser game 'Utopia' from 15 years ago?
It's a good question, since mobile genres often use the same name, but function differently.

My guess is it's like Art of Conquest: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRekVIKgXQ

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So mainly some pretty solid detective work on your part, nice.
They also seem to have a second unannounced mobile game which I think is Overwatch related, but I'm less certain on that.

The third unannounced game (excluding Diablo 4) is a multiplayer first person game of some sort for consoles/PC. I'm guessing StarCraft given the amount of StarCraft people that seemed to get moved over.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
if that is the name of the new expansion im going to be mad as hell, it's stupid name and doesnt suit the naming they've done in the future.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
if that is the name of the new expansion im going to be mad as hell, it's stupid name and doesnt suit the naming they've done in the future.

If it's the real name, I think it's less generic than it sounds- it's probably a battle for the Titan Azeroth, not a battle over territory on the planet Azeroth.