• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There have been religious picketers outside for years. One of the benefits of the expanded security perimeter last year was that they couldn't get anywhere near the entrance to the venue, whereas before they'd be right by the doors. I'd expect more of that this year: more fences, more security, more police.

Oh sure.

But I'd highly expect the HK protesters to far outnumber the westboro baptist church.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I literally laughed so hard coffee came out of my nose.

God man. Just accept that the gaming space will not be the escapist paradise you hoped it would be.

To be fair, the climate for video games seemed much simpler in pre-internet era in the 90s where video games were treated more like toys and not a medium where many people could make living off playing or talking about video games for instance. Alas time have changed.

Oct 25, 2017

Neither NoA nor NoE mentioned the launch of Overwatch today.

Overwatch launched today on the switch? There was nothing on the "news" page, only Witcher 3.

Hadn't even thought to check this until you mentioned Nintendo's other feeds, but: no launch day trailer on their YouTube channel, either. Well: they know how the comments would have looked, and how closing the video to comments would also have looked.

I witnessed the whole blow-up at /r/NintendoSwitch yesterday over their moderators seriously trying to make the argument that there's no reason to talk about Blizzard/China when Hearthstone isn't on the platform. If anything, I find it encouraging that their user base saw right through this and spoke up in open revolt. It's a good sign that the Nintendo bubble, which normally doesn't interact that much with anything on Blizzard's end (I would know; I'm rather embedded in both), recognizes that this is inextricably a part of every Blizzard story.

If Blizzard thinks they can drown this out with the cheers of BlizzCon attendees who may be sick of all this in two weeks' time and just want a juicy product announcement, they're in for a rude surprise. The most engaged Blizzard fans are the angriest here. That Nintendo was caught in their blast zone as an unfortunate accident of timing is a sign of what the mood is like, even if people are less vocal about it than they were a week ago. Everybody's eyes are on this.

You know who I don't envy right now? Whoever they bring onto their opening ceremony pre-show, which already tends to be an embarrassing spectacle in drumming up hype for the sake of hype.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about human rights (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over human rights and basic decency, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Overwatch for either system, nor will they purchase any of Activision Blizzards games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel your China bootlicking or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I've been waiting for this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, the climate for video games seemed much simpler in pre-internet era in the 90s where video games were treated more like toys and not a medium where many people could make living off playing or talking about video games for instance. Alas time have changed.

Sure. It's almost like the more you enjoy a medium and learn the minutiae of it, the more horrible you realize everything really is.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope Blizzcon is this and Blizzard just leaves the venue.

oyIlkQrXZqEadfB9BMsz4E82szS6sRK-hEaj8FpG600.jpg

Lol!!! That would be the most remarkable protest

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fine. I'm out. You guys can have this thread but honestly I don't think any of you understand how business actually works. And I don't think any of you are old enough to know how to protest or try to actually drive change. I suggested multiple times that you find a better way to support people in Hong Kong than trying to take down a company like blizzard but if you think that's what's going to help you go ahead. Peace thread.
lmao bye

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think you all have this way twisted. Honestly blizzard can't do anything to change anything in China. What you're really doing is you're trying to grasp anyway you can have a part of this China conflict and all you're doing is going around lashing out at United States companies that have almost no influence on China.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but you could do a whole lot better things than trying to tear down Blizzard. There has to be a better outlet for your anger. Maybe donate to streamers who are trying to do something? Get some humanitarian Aid out to the people who are actually protesting in China? But seriously, trying to disrupt BlizzCon seems more like you're doing it for the lulz.

I hate how we have to politicize everything now. You are destroying gaming. Plain and simple.

You destroyed your cred with that last bit there.

People are expecting protests, Blizzard employees pushing back, drama ect
Holy fuck. I hope they can make a change for sure.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You destroyed your cred with that last bit there.

Holy fuck. I hope they can make a change for sure.

I honestly hope the shot callers at Blizzard see how much this has affected their precious community and issue an apology, retract suspensions and change their messaging regarding their business with China. Whatever happens at Blizzcon will likely be what triggers change, or doesn't. If everyone is complacent at the con and Blizzard doesn't even utter a word about this then I don't see them budging.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope the shot callers at Blizzard see how much this has affected their precious community and issue an apology, retract suspensions and change their messaging regarding their business with China. Whatever happens at Blizzcon will likely be what triggers change, or doesn't. If everyone is complacent at the con and Blizzard doesn't even utter a word about this then I don't see them budging.
I mean, at the end of the day the ultimate shot caller is Bobby Kotick so I doubt we see anything of the sort.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Why are people saying Blizzcon will be good? I'm lost.
People want memes and internet lulz. While there are a few who are still focused on Hong Kong there is a huge internet crowd full of gamer gaters/ 4 channers/ former 8 channers/ redditers and many more who just want to see things get shit on while pretending to use the protest as an umbrella. Hell half the time people do not even pretend to mention Hong Kong anymore.

Don't forget to get real excited for all of that Riot Games goodness though!

Oct 25, 2017
NC
I think you all have this way twisted. Honestly blizzard can't do anything to change anything in China. What you're really doing is you're trying to grasp anyway you can have a part of this China conflict and all you're doing is going around lashing out at United States companies that have almost no influence on China.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion but you could do a whole lot better things than trying to tear down Blizzard. There has to be a better outlet for your anger. Maybe donate to streamers who are trying to do something? Get some humanitarian Aid out to the people who are actually protesting in China? But seriously, trying to disrupt BlizzCon seems more like you're doing it for the lulz.

I hate how we have to politicize everything now. You are destroying gaming. Plain and simple.

Thanks for letting everyone in the thread know you are one of those "stop putting politics in my games" punk asses. You won't be missed.