• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Can't think of what else it could be if they didn't say it was something else.

Blizzard is trying desperately to hunker down and wait for all of this to blow over.
Generally speaking I don't think you often hear why a small even like this gets cancelled. That said, it's a shame, I haven't had an opportunity to meet OW VAs and I def wanted to here since I'd be working about 8 minutes from there.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder if they're getting ready to cancel Blizzcon and just do a direct instead. The amount of money they'd have to refund though, and the amount of people they'd piss off...

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
You all have chinese made products right?

e47.png

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Whether Blizzard cancelled this event because of the Hong Kong controversy or not, the optics remain the same and it's Blizzard's own damn fault. Everything they do at least in the short term will rightfully be scrutinized.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
cnt say I am shocked, blizzard sure loves digging deeper and deeper.
When this
until now, i could not care any less about blizzcon. im ready for this fucking train wreck.
Is the common sentiment, I can't call this digging the hole deeper. More avoiding the hole.

You can't go "All right I'm ready for shit to go horrible!" then be like "they keep cancelling events, wtf Blizzard." You're validating their reason for cancellation and by this point you're just in it for schadenfreude

Oct 25, 2017
There's a 0% chance that happens. idk why people keep thinking it. There would be no worse press they could get right now than fucking over the air and travel expenses of like 40,000 of their most vocal and diehard fans and influencers.

I'd be shocked if the average expense for most fans is less than 1000 bucks for the weekend.

People who think it's feasible to scuttle BlizzCon on three weeks' notice quite obviously don't know the first thing about BlizzCon.

Blizzard's whole calendar revolves around it. Their marketing strategy is solely dependent on BlizzCon to the extreme that I would expect it to be seriously reevaluated for future years, now that it has been exposed as a vulnerability when an October surprise throws their whole company off-message. The last time it was feasible for them to bypass it was in 2012, and that was before BlizzCon became the grand finale for every single one of their e-sports initiatives to the point that that product launches and announcements don't even carry the weekend anymore.

If you're dissatisfied with Blizzard's conduct in the current fiasco, the imminence of BlizzCon is very much on your side. The time pressure it applies on them to do something, and do it halfway right (or at least not flagrantly wrong, as with their Friday statement), is considerable. It would be utterly untenable for them to weather the rest of this month in silence now that they've read the mood—which is not to say they aren't dumb enough or crazy enough to try it.

The employees in every arm, from software to e-sports, who work on producing the convention and ensuring everything goes on track like they've been planning for months—they must be furious.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably up to Blizzard to keep the story alive, so thank you for whoever made that decision.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
The real question is if this controversy is enough for Blizzard to cancel Blizzcon; I hope this continues to be a black eye for them

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
the D&D strat, just hide.

What are people going to do? is not like they have a massive conference coming up... oh.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
i have a feeling blizzcon will not be incredibly altered. it will most definitely not be cancelled; people have flights and accommodations.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i have a feeling blizzcon will not be incredibly altered. it will most definitely not be cancelled; people have flights and accommodations.
bigger events have been cancelled that have both flights and accommodations.
I dont think Blizzcon will be cancelled since they generate a LOT of revenue through it, but i'm sure we can expect quite the scandal there.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calm down, its just a variation of "Dont you guys all have phones" in the Diablo Immortal QA

If ya'll ever browsed one of my many threads on the Blizzard HK debacle, you will know that there are plenty of Era users who actually use that logic to say some really dumb shit. Let us not act like its that obvious.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain it's a play on the "You all have cell phones, right?" line for the Diablo mobile announcement.
I think this is supposed to be a

"You all have phones right?"

Gag
Oh, I can see it now.

They're doing a gag. Stop it
Calm down, its just a variation of "Dont you guys all have phones" in the Diablo Immortal QA
To be fair I've seen this take unironically expressed many times on this site in previous threads on societal issues.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Security was significantly increased at last year's Blizzcon. Hopefully that's enough.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Oh my God. It's like a fucking comedy at this point. Blizzard really wants those genocide obtained organs.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man Blizzard screwed up

Now if only we could get some of that energy to protest Toadette's anti-union practices in Mario Maker 2.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect a ton in terms of a trainwreck for Blizzcon this year. Maybe in the Hearthstone section and protests outside but not like a riot or anything.

Only time will tell, I suppose. Everyone attending Blizzcon this year stay safe

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Blizzard is firmly in "rot forever" territory for me. The onion-layers of their response has made their intent clear. I previously had put aside money for Switch Overwatch, and I've been a huge fan of their work for decades. For the sake of my soul, I want nothing to do with them.