• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
October 6
October 8

• American Political Response:
    • "Blizzard shows it is willing to humiliate itself to please the Chinese Communist Party," Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said. "No American company should censor calls for freedom to make a quick buck."
    • "Recognize what's happening here. People who don't live in China must either self censor or face dismissal & suspensions," Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said in a tweet on Tuesday. "China using access to market as leverage to crush free speech globally. Implications of this will be felt long after everyone in U.S. politics today is gone."

• News / Media Coverage:
    • Ars Technica: Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone gamer for statement supporting Hong Kong
    • Bloomberg: Gamers Call for Boycott of Blizzard After Hong Kong Protest Ban
    • CBS News: Blizzard bans video game star after he supports Hong Kong protests
    • CNBC: Blizzard strips pro gamer of tournament earnings after his support for Hong Kong protests
    • CNET: Blizzard pulls Blitzchung from Hearthstone esports tournament over support for Hong Kong protests
    • CNN: Esports player banned from tournament after calling for Hong Kong 'revolution'
    • Los Angeles Times: This gamer's punishment over Hong Kong protest shows China's sway over U.S. companies
    • NPR: Blizzard Entertainment Bans Esports Player After Pro-Hong Kong Comments
    • Reuters: Hearthstone Player Suspended Over Hong Kong Comment
    • The Verge: After Hearthstone player's ban, Blizzard is in hot water with lawmakers
    • Vice: Blizzard's Hong Kong Screw-Up Is Officially an International Incident

• Several Blizzard Employees Express Dissatisfaction:
    • Outside Blizzard HQ, both the "Think Globally" and "Every Voice Matters" company values are covered.
    • Small scale "Umbrella"-style protest is held.

Original Post

This is disgraceful bullshit.

The casters are also fired.

Last edited:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't risk that relationship with China over someone speaking out. Isn't capitalism awesome?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he criticized China for cracking down on Hong Kong protests and Blizzard did this? Fuck Blizzard for this.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism was thought to make China more like the western world.

Instead Capitalism is making the western world more like China.

Fucking Amazing.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is disgusting, people worldwide should boycott Blizzard. So terrified of possibly losing access to Chinese players, would serve them right to lose their audience everywhere else.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Tencent is an investor in Blizzard & Ubisoft, this is why both companies seem to bow down to China so to speak recently.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What unbelievable bullshit. Fucking cowards. Doubt it will do anything but I refuse to spend another dollar on a ActiBlizzard game if their official stance is to punish people trying to fight for their lives and freedoms.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I hope someone asks point blank at a Blizzcon Q&A whether Blizzard supports the right of Hong Kong citizens to protest.

If they're going to be Profit over Principle, at least get them to come out and state it outright instead of pretending otherwise and then pull this shit.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
In a few years it's going to be "Hearthstone Pro Player has been banned for criticizing China's genocide of his family".

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm yeah. Hope all HK, Macau, Korean, Japanese, and Taiwanese leagues tell Blizzard to get fucked on this one and take their business elsewhere.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah I think I'm gonna uninstall Battle.Net tonight. Now that Destiny 2 migrated to Steam, and I don't really play Overwatch anymore, this makes things easy.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck all these corporations bending over for China. What happened to democracy and free speech? When it affects their bottom line, that shit gets thrown our real quick.

Nov 1, 2017
Looks looks like I'll be uninstalling all my Blizzard games then. Shame, I just installed World of Warcraft to play with my work colleagues too. I wonder if they'll do the same.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
That's such bullshit. They needed to dig some bs rule out of the "rulebook" so that they could take some kind of action that didn't look like them siding with China so they didn't get their game banned. Fuck off

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all these corporations bending over for China. What happened to democracy and free speech? When it affects their bottom line, that shit gets thrown our real quick.
While I agree that a lot of companies/organizations showing their asses on this issue, I'm assuming that this is happening due to it being in Taiwan. I'd like to think that Blizzard on a whole would not take this policy...but then again probably not lol.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard just made my boycott list for years because of this, even if they rescind this ban they're not coming off at this point.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
While Blizzard should be criticized, let's not act like any other capitalistic company wouldn't do the same. Things are going to get worse with China's increasing power and influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.