• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find ironic that "Politics out of my games!" is somewhat what HK protesters ask for.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"While we stand by one's right to express individual thoughts and opinions..."

Immediately follows that up citing a rule that prevents someone from expressing individual thoughts and opinions.

Yeah, it's quite cowardly. We all know what happened, and Blizzard put profits over people as expected.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, nobody seems to have raised this in connection with this latest incident, but Blizzard's complicity with Chinese state interests and propaganda over the Hong Kong issue specifically has been out in the open for months.

Here is a slice of what was added to the profanity filter in WoW back in June. (NetEase operates WoW in China, but of course Blizzard had to be complicit with implementing this update on the development side.)

m1v3x9m3or531.png

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I am beyond disgusted. As South Park said "You've gotta lower your ideals of freedom if you want to suck on the warm teat of China".

Fuck you, Blizzard.

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Blizzard underestimates the amount of crap they'll be getting for this from here on out.

They invited a PR disaster that'll never go away. All to please one super corrupt dictatorship.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This is despicable from Blizzard, and demands an immediate and all encompassing boycott of their products.

Players get caught being racist? sexist? homophobic? Slaps on the wrist, handled quietly, no fuss, get back to making us money.

A player dares to question the mighty China? Banned. Also anyone within 5 meters of him, banned. Also, the VoD scrubbed from history.

Fuck Blizzard.
I agree. A comment in reddit made me chuckle "Soldier 76 is gay and proud and out of the closet. Just don't ask him what he thinks of democracy!". Absolute cowards

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This is bogus. Especially firing the casters too. That's some top tier unfair BS I'd only expect to see in an eastern country. How is it their fault AT ALL?

China $$$ >>>>> Human rights, Blizzard's new motto

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
And also to rescind winnings? Might be time Blizzard rescinded some of their forecasted earnings. When this story catches on throughout the week the boycotting will definitely be on.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
It'll never happen, but it would be cool if other grand masters pulled out of the tournaments and told blizzard to go pound sand.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Blizzard sees a lot of fallout from this. We live in a world where money is more important than voicing an opinion about freedom and democracy :(

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucking pissed right now, today there was going to be a hearthstone event that I wanted to play, and they pull this shit? Fuck them

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't traced also not gay in China? Disgusting how blizzard cowtows to them. Companies been shit for ages tho.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The more I read about this the more furious I am. Never bought Blizzard stuff and never will, that's the least I can do. It'll be easy. I can live without their games.

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard underestimates the amount of crap they'll be getting for this from here on out.

They invited a PR disaster that'll never go away. All to please one super corrupt dictatorship.

It's been interesting, to say the least, to witness Blizzard's entanglements with China go from a comic sideshow during the peak of the WoW gold-farming era (itself Steve Bannon's origin story, as we now know), to a weird-news story about removing skeletons from their games for the sake of compliance, to the unsettling succumbing to political pressure like erroneously referring to Taiwan as "Chinese Taipei" in Overwatch events, to the elevation of their outsourced partnerships with the Chinese mobile market to their main IPs on their main stage.

The import of this latest development is that it unequivocally confirms what everybody has known about Blizzard all along, but were comfortable downplaying or merely joking about. But there is no denying where they stand. The stink of their reputation for kowtowing is going to linger.

Watch what happens with WC3 Reforged, and watch it closely. WC3 is as much a product for the Chinese market as SC1 is for South Korea, to the extent that they've been receiving first announcements of events or patches for some time. That's their core demographic. I would have made the easy decision to sit out Reforged had I not already received it as a gift.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Removing Battle.net today. Does Blizz give refunds on preorders? Not that there's been any news on WC3 reforged in the last 6 months anyway....

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I really hope some gaming news sites will spread this information about blizzard disregard basic human rights, but I doubt it.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Most of these companies who are trying to grow in China or who have Chinese money invested in them don't care about what people think, they're chasing money and regardless of whether it's the right thing to do or not they'll fully support defending whatever it is to increase their worth. It's a shame that greed has caused companies like Blizzard to lose any semblance of being a company with values but clearly from what people have mentioned in this thread this isn't something new to them and it hasn't affected them so far.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So what happened here is likely to happen in all those companies right ?
This had already happened with Siege, they wanted to censor the game overseas so that they only needed to support one version. The blowback was enough to make them change their minds, though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I suppose it comes down to the strings attached to the money and how much profit comes from China compared to the rest of the world.

President crazy pants could decide to blacklist a company for defending China, simply because he's captain crazy pants.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I wish I could boycott Blizzard, but I haven't really gotten a game from them in ages.
At least I can say I lost my final bit of interest in the Overwatch Switch version.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Status
Not open for further replies.