• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Fuck the Chinese fascist government, and fuck Blizzard for being their tankies.

Disgusting doesn't cut it.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If fans got up in arms over Diablo Mobile last year, they better sure as fuck step up this Blizzcon and let Blizzard know this is bullshit.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I think you're projecting a bit if you think the average Blizzcon goer is going to conflate a disappointing Diablo mobile reveal with Chinese influence in the oppression of free speech, honestly.

Especially when they're just going to stamp it out at the gate if they catch anyone who would be disrupting the livestreams.

No, I think it's far more simple than that. There doesn't need to be a conflation, the average attendee just has to know that bringing up the China situation will embarrass Blizzard. Even if it's unplanned livestreams could easily be disrupted by people who are pissed off in the moment. And you can't screen for that at the door.

It really doesn't require projecting, just remembering the backlash from last year. So it's totally possible that it could happen again but focused this time on China.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't care if they apologized and reversed their punishment. This is a disgusting decision on the same level as thq nordic's actions, regardless of whether or not it was "accidental" (fyi thq's PR person did not bail before starting the 8chan ama - he even agreed with some of the horrible opinions spouted by members of the site)

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard needs to be pressured to support freedom of speech, I hope this is the start of some significant push back on American corporations bending over backwards for China.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So much for Blizzard's 'core values':

EGXNIY1X0AI6Buu
I didn't think my opinion of Blizzard could sink lower.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
let's see ERA put their money where their mouth is, and boycott cowards like blizzard

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering if Valve has a plan in place to deal with a situation like this. Both DOTA and CSGO are huge in China and it is pretty likely that some CSGO/DOTA pro might make a statement like that.

Are they gonna burn him like Blizzard did?

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering if Valve has a plan in place to deal with a situation like this. Both DOTA and CSGO are huge in China and it is pretty likely that some CSGO/DOTA pro might make a statement like that.

Are they gonna burn him like Blizzard did?

Valve's situation is interesting since they finance the prize pools themselves and afaik are not beholden to sponsors (at least in dota 2).

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Blizzard: "Why can't you guys just be cool with freedom suppression and organ harvesting?"

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Holy fuck that is disgusting! Living in a democracy while forcing others to deal with a fascist regime of Nazis, for money!

Fuck you blizzard! You worthless fucks.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had more than 2 middle fingers for that shitheel company.
I will continue to not buy anything Activision/Blizzard related.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They asked a caster to remove a badge supporting HK protests at TI

That is pretty mild (from the caster) though and I assume it happened off air.

What happens if someone does a post game interview on air and decides to denounce what China is doing in HK?

Valve's situation is interesting since they finance the prize pools themselves and afaik are not beholden to sponsors (at least in dota 2).

I dont think the Sponsorship side of it matters much. China can (and will) threaten to cut off a VERY sizable userbase of their two most profitable games.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty mild (from the caster) though and I assume it happened off air.

What happens if someone does a post game interview on air and decides to denounce what China is doing in HK?

I dont think the Sponsorship side of it matters much. China can (and will) threaten to cut off a VERY sizable userbase of their two most profitable games.

I can see China hurting Dota 2 more than CS GO at this point. However, given the history and Valve's investing in their own esports, I think bowing to China would be counter to their philosophy of being independent. We'll see soon enough though, the next Dota 2 major is in China and the real test will be if any pro player decides to make a statement there.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard managed to fuck up this whole situation in the most stupid way. Like they escalated the situation even more by banning the casters

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
nothing to boycott for me since I don't play anything blizzard atm, but I'll spread the word for sure.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see China hurting Dota 2 more than CS GO at this point. However, given the history and Valve's investing in their own esports, I think bowing to China would be counter to their philosophy of being independent. We'll see soon enough though, the next Dota 2 major is in China and the real test will be if any pro player decides to make a statement there.

That's risky- they could detain you like North Korea does, and torture you in a concentration camp.

Better play would be to refuse to attend with this stated as reason.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm glad I don't play any Blizzard games. I don't think I play any Activision games either.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, scanning twitter it is pretty interesting seeing the bots use gamergate, alt right catchphrases

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Man I'm terrified of Nintendo entering China's market now. If they ever do something like this I'll just quit gaming. I know like half of their share price gains over the past year+ are due to China market opening optimism.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I was really looking forward to getting Overwatch on the Switch too. Good thing there's a lot of other games on the system right now.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
What's scary is that we always thought that the liberalization of China would eventually lead to more freedoms for people on the mainland.

Instead... we got the opposite. There's so much business in China, now companies are scared of working with anyone who would talk out against an authoritarian regime.

May 9, 2018
The real test is how Blizzard will handle BlizzCon because it will get disrupted over this. The Q&A portions are guaranteed to be cut, but I suspect there will also be protest interruptions which will derail things quickly.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I never realized how relevant South Park would become after going down the shitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.