• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Yep. I don't know anything about Hearthstone and have never heard of this e-sports member. I barely know of anyone from any e-sports scene anymore, outside of the FGC. I can't say I really follow the news or community of any Acti-Blizzard games.
Had Acti-Blizz taken no actions against blitzchung, and in that scenario had their been no repercussions from China afterward, then I would have never known that a Hearthstone player made a pro-HK statement on stream. They reacted to it though and now it's not only news here but a poster linked to where it wasn't being discussed in mainstream German news? Seems like a majorly bad play on Acti-Blizzard's part and shows how rediculously dumb China's whole "Say something we don't like and we ban you" policies can be where they end up exposing that message they didn't like to more people and bringing more attention to it.
I can promise you the government wants this reaction, anyone that steps out of line get the heel they'll advertise that all day long.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A reminder that, under capitalism, social progress only can happen if it's profitable

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NBA and Blizzard are saving me so much money, it's actually kind of great. Keep fucking that chicken, I'll keep dropping subs. Sellouts.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I can promise you the government wants this reaction, anyone that steps out of line get the heel they'll advertise that all day long.
Yeah, I guess after second thought China's overreactions to these kind of things aren't that dumb if they work for them and everyone falls in line. Or, I guess they are still dumb/wrong, but not ineffective.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Saw this on twitter:

EGXj8fVXUAEIpmS

EGXzxgDWsAIFhm-

"Every Voice Matters"

Yeah ok.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It wouldn't surprise me at all if all the Blizzcon streams are on a delay this year so they can edit out anyone making statements critical of this decision.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Not true. Progress can also happen if their is risk to profits. IE consumer boycotts.
Its hard to make consumers actually boycott, but it works very well when done.

Progress can happen under social pressure in any political system. Under Capitalism, companies will wave your flags only if they make a penny out of it (despite being a positive change, that's why corporations now parade in LGBT flags. It's good PR.), In this case, they will wave the Chinese flag for it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is the truth of the matter. It comes down to money. And you will have some corporate boot lickers who will say, "But the purpose of a corporation is to make the most money for their investors - DUH!" And the sad thing is, they are right. They are despicable to apologize for it, but they are correct. Their 'morality' is contingent to the way the financial wind is going. They will do anything to increase their value including supporting a fascist regime to chase that money. Fuck Blizzard. I am out.

Don't think anybody saying that (at least here) is saying that as an excuse, just a simple matter of fact regarding capitalism.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've been pretty snarky about this whole thing in this thread but...

This is all very disappointing.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I never expected much from Blizzard, but this is unbelievably disappointing and embarrassing.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watch them just be pre recorded, no streams

My money is on "We're changing it up this year for totally innocent and random reasons, and we're just so happening to not have any Q&A events whatsoever."

Even if there's a delay, all it takes it one viewer recording one question of "Do you believe Hong Kong citizens should be able to protest freely" and there's just no answer to that that Blizzard will want to give - delay or not.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough they censure him as he did break rules, but it seems they've gone completely over the top, and what did the casters do to deserve getting sacked as well? If that's how they want to act then they're going to have to accept the blow-back. No doubt some arsehole executive has determined the money they'll lose from Western based anger will be far less than what they'd lose in China if they did nothing. Urgh, I would have gone to war for this company at one point in my life, to look at them now makes me so sad.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Fair enough they censure him as he did break rules, but it seems they've gone completely over the top, and what did the casters do to deserve getting sacked as well? If that's how they want to act then they're going to have to accept the blow-back. No doubt some arsehole executive has determined the money they'll lose from Western based anger will be far less than what they'd lose in China if they did nothing. Urgh, I would have gone to war for this company at one point in my life, to look at them now makes me so sad.

They are probably brain storming what kind of corporate studied activism they can do to get "social good" brownie points back.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
They are probably brain storming what kind of corporate studied activism they can do to get "social good" brownie points back.

twitter.com

Stephanie McMahon on Twitter

“"philanthropy is the future of marketing, it's the way brands r going 2 win" -@biz Stone co-founder @twitter #WWEBPS”

Reminds me of this Tweet. Which is why you should never believe sincerity from big corporations.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The Chinese government uses its huge population to hold the global corporate world hostage. They sell their citizens as a market share commodity and businesses buy-in via investor pressure and executive greed. Once they get in, and reap the profits, they'll do anything to stay there.

Blizzard is no exception.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Whats funny about this entire thing is if they didn't take any action this wouldn't even be a story. When you watch the video the guy and commentators were laughing because it was sort of a troll-y comment and now Blizzard turned this into a massive story. What a time we live in.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Whats funny about this entire thing is if they didn't take any action this wouldn't even be a story. When you watch the video the guy and commentators were laughing because it was sort of a troll-y comment and now Blizzard turned this into a massive story. What a time we live in.
It makes you wonder who actually made the demand that something be done, be it Blizzard, the holding company, or some concerned Chinese oversight committee.

It would've been a complete blip on the radar if not.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to destroy blizzard unless they do the right thing. I cant even think of what blizzcon is going to be like now? Everyone should stand up and say they stand with HK. What is blizzard gonna do?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I realize Halloween is coming up, but a corporation cosplaying as a South Park episode is a bit much.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This is going to destroy blizzard unless they do the right thing. I cant even think of what blizzcon is going to be like now? Everyone should stand up and say they stand with HK. What is blizzard gonna do?
As fucked up as it is i don't think it's going to destroy blizzard. Hearthstone/WOW still top 10 on twitch and people are still playing and buying their products. As for Blizzcon i wouldn't be shocked if they just had employees or stand-ins ask questions.

Personally i canceled my WOW sub and uninstalled Battle.net i have no interest in supporting the company but most either don't read this stuff or don't care.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
This has Bobby Koticks shitty little fingers all over it. Such a shame Activision owns Blizzard now...

Status
Not open for further replies.