• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
Era really likes to go apeshit over news like this. I, for one, find this totally justified. Politics has no place in sports, regardless of views expressed. He chose the wrong time and place to push his agenda and in all likelihood he was perfectly aware of what he was risking.

Really hope everyone remembers their proper time and place to protest for now on. I mean, you're allowed to criticize China and support the protesters only....

...uh...

...well, seems like never. Go figure.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Fuck Blizzard, but after the shenanigans with the missing witch doctor from Diablo Immortal, I'm not surprised at all.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Era really likes to go apeshit over news like this. I, for one, find this totally justified. Politics has no place in sports, regardless of views expressed. He chose the wrong time and place to push his agenda and in all likelihood he was perfectly aware of what he was risking.
And gamers will really defend anything to protect their hobby.

"Politics has no place in sports" shows a remarkably ignorant point of view.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I'm pretty sure any other company would do the same but this doesn't mean this isn't shitty, I'm proud of that guy for speaking against the tyrants of china and I really hate how all the big companies bow down to China because of money

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope you'll never have to experience what it is like to be afraid for your livelihood for speaking up (in a very mild way mind you) against fascism

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Why is it always the low post count trolls in threads like these?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
firing the broadcasters as well?

The casters are ethnically Chinese and they didn't automatically react in outrage to someone questioning the actions of an ethnonationalist regime that they are "supposed" to support by the CCP's rules (never mind that they are in a free fucking country and didn't say a damn thing). The CCP can't let people of Chinese background be publicly noncompliant, otherwise people start getting ideas about different ways to live.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I used to love and respect Blizzard so much. In many ways they were the reason I really got into gaming as a hobby, got into PCs seriously, and have the job I do today. Diablo 1 was the inspiration for my first coding projects. StarCraft might be the greatest game I've ever played.

But I have some familiarity with the issues here, and I'm done with Blizzard now.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017

reminder that Blizzard forces Taiwan to be called the 'Chinese Taipei' in the Overwatch World Cup and players are not allowed to use the Taiwan flag icon while competing

Our everyday life is constantly affected by politics. You are foolish if you don't think politics doesn't has a place in [fill in the blank]

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta bend for papa tencent I guess.

Lol at firing the casters too. Jesus.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking horrible decision by activision blizzard.

I have an unopened Diablo III copy that I will give away later this week. No point in keeping it.

Anything I should do before closing my Battle.net account for good?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to write love letters about how great Blizzard are because they included POC and LGBTQ characters in Overwatch, but it seems that they happily side with violent repressals if the money leads there. Hopefully this will be a solid wake-up call about the fact that billion-dollar-companies like these don't play the inclusion card because they're so kind, they do it because they expect to find an audience. Now they've shown their teeth.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, it's totally just Era.

It's not like this kind of protest happens anywhere else outside of here when protests occur in sports.

Yep, nowhere else. Completely narrowed to just Era.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Firing some casters and rescinding a pro player doesn't affect there bottom line or their brand at all. China however....lol.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
NBA's going through a similar thing by reportedly talking about firing the Rockets GM for tweeting "Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.". The GM tweeted an uncomfortably emphatic apology, which may have been the only thing that saved his job.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to write love letters about how great Blizzard are because they included POC and LGBTQ characters in Overwatch, but it seems that they happily side with violent repressals if the money leads there. Hopefully this will be a solid wake-up call about the fact that billion-dollar-companies like these don't play the inclusion card because they're so kind, they do it because they expect to find an audience. Now they've shown their teeth.

Don't forget Tracer is not gay in China and Russia.

Its not about representation, its getting your money.

Giant Corporations are not your friends.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Politics was in sports since begining of Olympics (so since ancient Greece). Go with your fucking shitty take elsewere.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all these corporations bending over for China. What happened to democracy and free speech? When it affects their bottom line, that shit gets thrown our real quick.

Democracy and Free Speech doesn't properly exist in this late capitalist society. It's all an illusion. Those with money control everything and no matter what you say or want it doesn't matter, the only people who are catered to are the 1%.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, in no sports anywhere has anyone expressed any kind of special enthusiasm for their home country. At this rate, we'll soon be seen FLAGS in the crowd of soccer matches.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Like many, they only act like an ally on topics where and when it fits financially...

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is wrong, but you are not better than him with this shitty comment.
oF5wyVu.gif

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the worst posts I've read in this board in a long time. Well done!

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The notion that someone can't defend Hong Kong over what's happening does indeed feel morally reprehensible but I can't entirely disagree with what Blizzard did either. Would we be defending someone's rights to speak out as vehemently if a similar figure came out and spouted that trans rights are nonsense?

Naturally I agree there's a difference between right and wrong when standing up for something but if you're hired/part of something that doesn't want to be the judge of that publicly (and has that as terms of taking part) I can't entirely fault them for taking action if you do that anyway.

Of course , I'll easily agree that a company (like Blizzard) could have taken it upon themselves to stand up for it themselves, which they haven't as far as I know.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Get fucked, Blizzard. If a company bans someone for speaking against tyranny like China, you know exactly where they stand $$$. Also, fuck saying that sports are apolitical; they have been intertwined forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.