• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasgalen

Jul 18, 2019
Not a real thing, thanks for proving my point tho

You've got people accusing Chinese people of being fucking brainwashed, how is that not orientalist?

Just because you say two things are similar doesn't make it so. There's a difference between a US backed apartheid state and a country that's currently dealing with a US backed colour revolution because they can't let those scary reds challenge US hegemony

The Chinese state has a vast propaganda and censorship network that it uses to influence its people's opinions and information access on i.e. domestic affairs, Taiwan, Xinjang, Tibet and Hong Kong. Pointing that out is not orientalist, it's a fact.

RNHornets

Apr 26, 2018
The Chinese state has a vast propaganda and censorship network that it uses to influence its people's opinions and information access on i.e. domestic affairs, Taiwan, Xinjang, Tibet and Hong Kong. Pointing that out is not orientalist, it's a fact.
Want to give me some sources on that? And do you really think the US state isn't doing the exact same thing? Because if not, hoo boy have I got some news for you

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Asking other people to go out and find sources for you on china using, of all things, propaganda might be peak sea lioning.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hong Kong still has 30 years left on their independence clock. A lot of this seems like attempts by China to slowly erode it over time so that when the 50 year period is up, there's nothing left to resist.

Want to give me some sources on that? And do you really think the US state isn't doing the exact same thing? Because if not, hoo boy have I got some news for you

What? Who cares about the US right now? This is about the people in Hong Kong. Just because the CCP is communist (maybe??) and opposes the US doesn't mean they are automatically the best and can do no wrong.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!

Just to be clear: you want us to give you evidence of the CCP's vast censorship apparatus / political prisoners / current mass incarceration/cultural genocide of Uighur people?

Don't need to dig very deep to find any of that.

So your point is that people may have jumped the gun on social credit? Sure, maybe; but this is the first roll-out of what appears to be a totalitarian monitoring system, and people are just making an educated guess based on past CCP behavior. Even your article is a year old already (it's now being used to deny people train tickets and your score can be impacted by your political 'correctness'; doesn't take a genius to see where this is going).

Also, you're right: US foreign policy was a big pile of shit during the Bush years and they weaponized and debased liberal democracy, and color revolutions were a thing. Does that make all democratic aspiration around the world a 'color revolution,' for the rest of human history?

Rasgalen

Jul 18, 2019

Do you seriously need me to provide sources that China is an authoritarian state that engages in massive internet and media censorship with regards to sensitive political issues?

Here is for instance a press freedom ranking from the NGO Reporters Beyond Borders:

As you can see China ranks 177 out of 180 countries, just beaten by three renowned totalitarian states (Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea). If you do really think that the US engages in censorship on the same level, I am sorry to say that the burden of proof is on you.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Hong Kong still has 30 years left on their independence clock. A lot of this seems like attempts by China to slowly erode it over time so that when the 50 year period is up, there's nothing left to resist.

Xi would be almost 100 by then. It's pretty hard to tell what will happen in mainland China within that time.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Not a real thing, thanks for proving my point tho

You've got people accusing Chinese people of being fucking brainwashed, how is that not orientalist?

Just because you say two things are similar doesn't make it so. There's a difference between a US backed apartheid state and a country that's currently dealing with a US backed colour revolution because they can't let those scary reds challenge US hegemony

I'm not american, and hardly an ardent flagwaving supporter of the US. China is committing atrocities right now, with Hong Kong only being one of a long list of transgressions, and deserves to be both criticised and held accountable.

RNHornets

Apr 26, 2018
User banned (1 week): leading thread derail, whataboutism over multiple posts in this thread
Asking other people to go out and find sources for you on china using, of all things, propaganda might be peak sea lioning.
Hey, they're the one who stated they were facts

What? Who cares about the US right now? This is about the people in Hong Kong. Just because the CCP is communist (maybe??) and opposes the US doesn't mean they are automatically the best and can do no wrong.
The US is relevant because they are literally involved in these protests and have a vested interest in causing trouble in the PRC. Do you not think that they'll be promoting the Hong Kong protests as much as possible in order to help destabilise the PRC? Why is the same amount of attention not given to the protests in Haiti, for example? I'm not saying people should just blindly believe everything but to at least have a critical eye to the sources and what narrative they'll want to promote

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
The US is relevant because they are literally involved in these protests and have a vested interest in causing trouble in the PRC. Do you not think that they'll be promoting the Hong Kong protests as much as possible in order to help destabilise the PRC? Why is the same amount of attention not given to the protests in Haiti, for example? I'm not saying people should just blindly believe everything but to at least have a critical eye to the sources and what narrative they'll want to promote

And you should also be cautious about drinking up the counter-narrative of vast US color revolution conspiracy around the world, which authoritarians everywhere now use to completely delegitimize any and all internal push for political reform. You rob the people of HK of all agency, and it's simplistic as shit. So basically the decade-or-so of political rumblings in Hong Kong (education reform, Occupy Central, and now this) are all a NED-masterminded color revolution?

Great critical thinking!

Jun 20, 2019

So you're trying to delegitimization blitzchung.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Its telling that he responded to my post about how he is a sea lion while ignoring posts like Rasgalen's post with the reporter's freedom rankings. Give me sources cries the sea lion, but does not read or respond the sources. A sea lion doesn't actually want to learn, they just want to drain your energy.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

so like having a critical eye for globalreserach.ca?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps you should be more critical of your sources as well, which is basically just a blog by a guy in Thailand.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

You post a link to a conspiracy website and then ask others to have a critical eye to their sources. Well done.

Oct 25, 2017

It's always funny to see China whataboutists point the finger at US intervention and cry orientalism when active western solidarity is explicitly what many Hong Kong democrats are lobbying for on the international stage, alongside US/British/etc. citizens from the diaspora who fled Chinese tyranny and are expressly, democratically pressuring their own representatives at home. Ooh, scary US imperialism! Ooh, scary British colonial nostalgia! Come off it, you fools. Chinese control over the past twenty years has been far more interventionist and oppressive of the local culture than either of those have ever been.

Hong Kong is a beacon of civic nationalism where an affinity with the west over values, fairness, and governance trumps an affinity with the narrow Han ethno-nationalist vision of the PRC where they preen their sense of entitlement to the totality of the region's rich, diverse, and vibrant cultural heritage. China would very much like everyone to forget and deny that the British intellectual inheritance that built modern HK, inculcating a belief in due process and a free press, is an inextricable part of the city's history and identity. Bollocks to that. Hong Kong expresses western liberal ideals better than the west itself, and the west should stand with it. We should have the moral conviction to be causing trouble for the PRC. "Western influence = bad" might fly with hegemonic Chinese ethnic nationalists and gullible others with simplistic, one-size-fits-all ideas about colonialism, but Hong Kong democrats see right through that nonsense and know what's up. They know who's the real imperialist in the room.

I've actually been impressed with how little of that argument we've seen here up to this point given some of the fashionable anti-west anti-liberalism we often see around these parts. Instead, I've been heartened to see a more or less unequivocal unity, and not just here on this silly video game forum. Maybe because anybody with an informed look at this understands that the fight for liberty and democracy in HK is not a left/right issue in our narrow local terms, and is in fact a strong reminder of what we, in the west, like to imagine are the ideals we have in common with our political opponents.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
maxresdefault.jpg

Do you guys not have free speech?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
none of the better known WoW youtubers, except for Bellular, has touched this subject in any way (so far at least). Pretty disapointing tbh.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
It's always funny to see China whataboutists point the finger at US intervention and cry orientalism when active western solidarity is explicitly what many Hong Kong democrats are lobbying for on the international stage, alongside US/British/etc. citizens from the diaspora who fled Chinese tyranny and are expressly, democratically pressuring their own representatives at home. Ooh, scary US imperialism! Ooh, scary British colonial nostalgia! Come off it, you fools. Chinese control over the past twenty years has been far more interventionist and oppressive of the local culture than either of those have ever been.

Hong Kong is a beacon of civic nationalism where an affinity with the west over values, fairness, and governance trumps an affinity with the narrow Han ethno-nationalist vision of the PRC where they preen their sense of entitlement to the totality of the region's rich, diverse, and vibrant cultural heritage. China would very much like everyone to forget and deny that the British intellectual inheritance that built modern HK, inculcating a belief in due process and a free press, is an inextricable part of the city's history and identity. Bollocks to that. Hong Kong expresses western liberal ideals better than the west itself, and the west should stand with it. We should have the moral conviction to be causing trouble for the PRC. "Western influence = bad" might fly with hegemonic Chinese ethnic nationalists and gullible others with simplistic, one-size-fits-all ideas about colonialism, but Hong Kong democrats see right through that nonsense and know what's up. They know who's the real imperialist in the room.

I've actually been impressed with how little of that argument we've seen here up to this point given some of the fashionable anti-west anti-liberalism we often see around these parts. Instead, I've been heartened to see a more or less unequivocal unity, and not just here on this silly video game forum. Maybe because anybody with an informed look at this understands that the fight for liberty and democracy in HK is not a left/right issue in our narrow local terms, and is in fact a strong reminder of what we, in the west, like to imagine are the ideals we have in common with our political opponents.

Very well said. I allowed myself a bit of optimism yesterday as well. As someone who has been watching these trends unfold for a while now, the sudden pushback against the growing culture of self-censorship in Western orgs/companies came as a pleasant surprise. It's also stark how this is apparently something the left and right can agree on, at least when it comes to our own entities dropping supposed core values and throwing the HK people under the bus in the process.

I just hope that the response remains laser-focused on the CCP as a political entity, because they're going to be doing everything possible to cast ongoing events in racial/nationalist terms.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the no comment
R2Nkfnw.jpg

Blizzard knows that their only two options are to go into full sweep-under-the-rug mode or grow a spine and stop bending backwards to appease China. They will never have anything valuable to say if they're not willing to do the latter, and there's absolutely no evidence that they will ever do the latter.

So Blizzard will remain quiet, stomp out all possible protest wherever they have control, take a shit over their own core values, and pray that people just move on and forget.

Anyone who thinks Blizzcon will be run this year with live Q&As is delusional. There's a non-zero chance that Blizzcon 2019 will be outright cancelled if this shitshow doesn't calm down, and there's no evidence of it calming down.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Blizzard knows that their only two options are to go into full sweep-under-the-rug mode or grow a spine and stop bending backwards to appease China. They will never have anything valuable to say if they're not willing to do the latter, and there's absolutely no evidence that they will ever do the latter.

So Blizzard will remain quiet, stomp out all possible protest wherever they have control, take a shit over their own core values, and pray that people just move on and forget.

Anyone who thinks Blizzcon will be run this year with live Q&As is delusional. There's a non-zero chance that Blizzcon 2019 will be outright cancelled if this shitshow doesn't calm down, and there's no evidence of it calming down.
Shits gonna scrubbed hard.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the casters doing the interview were also fired and that seems to have gone under the radar. Unfortunately I feel for them the most, blitzchung was prepared for the fallout but the casters got fired for being in proximity to him. Heartbreaking video of one of the caster's talking about how he has been completely blacklisted and can't cast anymore.

"Just a reminder that the title is not a literal translation of what has been said in the vid, but the idea does follow.

The caster's name is M.Yee. He has worked very hard to get to where he is today. He is mainly an Overwatch caster who also casts Hearthstone and WOW. Very talented and the HearthstoneTW stream's audience absolutely loves him.

In the video he said that he prepared a ton for this weekend's Overwatch Pacific Showdown (as well as the HS Grandmasters Playoffs, needless to say) but it seems like he will not be casting Overwatch anymore either. He finds the situation very sad; years of cultivating his passion and hardwork may just be gone in vain.

This response from the fired caster absolutely broke my heart."

Incredibly pathetic and horrible state of affairs all around.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Make China bend. Call all their bluffs. That regime needs all this entertainment for the masses, to keep them distracted. They can't kick them all out or the public will get mad at them for taking away their toys. China is all bark imo. I bet even the NBA starts getting broadcast there again despite the Leagues support for free speech. The only tool they know is fear. Fear of losing business, fear of persecution, fear of imprisonment. Push back and I bet they yield.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Thank you very much, I am preparing to attend another protest tonight because yet another private property security guard was prosecuted, simply because he didn't open the gate when the police (with no shoulder identity number, obviously) wants to enter the property for search... without proper warrent from the court.

In case we fail at the end, please remember us for what we have done to resist oppression from PRC.
Only now I understand that freedom, has a price.

Be safe.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
none of the better known WoW youtubers, except for Bellular, has touched this subject in any way (so far at least). Pretty disapointing tbh.

Shes more of a general Blizzard personality and not even a youtuber in the regular sense anymore, but Tradechat has been incredibly vocal of her disappointment at blizzard regarding this.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It is amazing to me it took the NBA and Blizzard to get people to talk about how much China has been silencing companies out of fear to lose their markets.
This has been happening for a while now, but people don't care until it affects their interest.

Nobody should believe the west (US and EU) has any good intentions when it comes to HK. They actively support an apartheid state, a terrorist state bombing civilians, nobody cared about Myanmar and the rohingya Muslims...

HK is a complicated situation since HK was given to China (thanks UK) and China doesn't like separatist movements. China is well known for not having any regards for the well-being of their people. If anything the west should support descalation and have a round table to try an reach agreements. Give China the chance to look good (We know they like to bribe about how modern they are) by releasing protesters and ensuring a peaceful agreement.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Thanks for the addition. I do not know a lot about the situation in Inner Mongolia with regards to Chinese politics, but I would love to know more. :)

It's a lot harder to find news coming out of Inner Mongolian cause China's pretty good at censoring them, here in the states you'll find them protesting along with the Tibetans in front of the Chinese embassy here in NYC from time to time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Shes more of a general Blizzard personality and not even a youtuber in the regular sense anymore, but Tradechat has been incredibly vocal of her disappointment at blizzard regarding this.

Good. Still, havent seen anything from Taliesen, Pyromancer, Preacher, SignsofKelani, the lady with the pink hair (I forget her name sorry) etc

Or Rhykker although he is a Diablo guy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Still, havent seen anything from Taliesen, Pyromancer, Preacher, SignsofKelani, the lady with the pink hair (I forget her name sorry) etc

Or Rhykker although he is a Diablo guy.

Thijs the popular HS streamer's chat was heavily censored today. I unfollowed. At least Kripp let people speak in his chat. Thijs just banned all mention of China. Coward.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Blizzard fucked this up amazingly. They put themselves into a position where there is no winning move.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Brian Kibler, one of the bigger streamers, and casters (hired by Blizz many times to cast), is one of the first big names to speak out. He is also stepping away from any casting duty due to Blizzards actions.

I won't pretend to understand either the intricacies of the geopolitical situation in China and Hong Kong or the full extent of Blizzard's business interests there, but to me this penalty feels like it is deeply rooted in both. The heavy-handedness of it feels like someone insisted that Blizzard make an example of Blitzchung, not only to discourage others from similar acts in the future but also to appease those upset by the outburst itself.

That kind of appeasement is simply not something I can in good conscience be associated with. When I learned about the ruling, I reached out to Blizzard and informed them that I no longer feel comfortable casting the Grandmasters finals at BlizzCon. I will not be a smiling face on camera that tacitly endorses this decision. Unless something changes, I will have no involvement in Grandmasters moving forward.

However, I want to make clear that not everyone involved in GM has this luxury. Do not take your anger out on the other casters, or streamers, or employees of Blizzard. This is not the kind of decision that comes from the rank and file. Most likely they're just as angry as you are. I know I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.