• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that someone can't defend Hong Kong over what's happening does indeed feel morally reprehensible but I can't entirely disagree with what Blizzard did either. Would we be defending someone's rights to speak out as vehemently if a similar figure came out and spouted that trans rights are nonsense?

Naturally I agree there's a difference between right and wrong when standing up for something but if you're hired/part of something that doesn't want to be the judge of that publicly I can't entirely fault them for taking action if you do that anyway.

Of course , I'll easily agree that a company (like Blizzard) could have taken it upon themselves to stand up for it themselves, which they haven't as far as I know.

The example you bring up makes little sense because speaking against trans rights would be speaking against the freedom of certain individuals, whereas speaking up for Hong Kong is the literal opposite. It would make more sense if you brought up, for example, somebody who stans for incels or something. Then we can have a discussion about that.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was already pondering about uninstalling battle.net and forgetting about it. Now I actually have a valid reason to do so. Thanks Blizzard
Actually no, fuck you Blizzard

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Politics has no place in sports
GZ4GZ5C5JYI6RNSWENWGEFHPAE.jpg

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that someone can't defend Hong Kong over what's happening does indeed feel morally reprehensible but I can't entirely disagree with what Blizzard did either. Would we be defending someone's rights to speak out as vehemently if a similar figure came out and spouted that trans rights are nonsense?

Naturally I agree there's a difference between right and wrong when standing up for something but if you're hired/part of something that doesn't want to be the judge of that publicly (and has that as terms of taking part) I can't entirely fault them for taking action if you do that anyway.

Of course , I'll easily agree that a company (like Blizzard) could have taken it upon themselves to stand up for it themselves, which they haven't as far as I know.
images

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

If trans people were in charge of a state they claimed was the true Trans homeland and actively oppressing several neighboring territories of trans people who did not want to be under their control while destroying the livelihoods of any who questioned them, while "trans rights" became a dogwhistle for imperialism, yeah probably.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You guys need to stop letting singular shitty replies dominate entire threads. At least once they've already been mocked like 50 times.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Era really likes to go apeshit over news like this. I, for one, find this totally justified. Politics has no place in sports, regardless of views expressed. He chose the wrong time and place to push his agenda and in all likelihood he was perfectly aware of what he was risking.

1938 Berlin Olympics says waaa?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Speaking out against an authoritarian government is not the same as transphobic rhetoric.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I forgot that I have a physical copy of the Crash Team Racing remake. I will have to sell that and purchase something else.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a link to where this statement actually came from, an hour later and this dude is still the only person who has reported anything about it

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
WTF...the castors literally hid behind their desks. What kinda world are we living in...sigh.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
This truly shakening me tbh

Its once a part of community that I admire and I aim for the competition.. I failed to achive it but still looking to the scene fondly.

Now its all gone.. I dont want involved to this scene anymore. Blitzchung deserve his money.

Blizzard is a fucking thief to stole his right.

Jun 1, 2019
Dollars over conscience. It's funny to see these companies advocate for human rights until it affects their bottom lines. Money can reveal a lot of truth in the right circumstances.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats depressing is...I don't see this having a happy ending.

China has more Middle Class Consumers fully brainwashed than America has CITIZENS.

China is a fucking economic POWERHOUSE, and as long companies exist in a global market (thats not going away), then they are pretty much beholden to them. China figured out that Capitalism is best realized via crushing amorality.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Where are the neoliberals to tell us how awesome capitalism is and we should be grateful it gave us video games?

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
People love to write love letters about how great Blizzard are because they included POC and LGBTQ characters in Overwatch, but it seems that they happily side with violent repressals if the money leads there. Hopefully this will be a solid wake-up call about the fact that billion-dollar-companies like these don't play the inclusion card because they're so kind, they do it because they expect to find an audience. Now they've shown their teeth.
Did someone actually think like this? Of course they play the inclusion card to find an audience. These giant companies don't care, they want your money.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
What sad about the Chinese is their citizens are under media censorship. What they receive from news everyday are far from the truth, and they are constantly fed with lies that they don't even know they are being blindfolded.

We in Hong Kong get to see newspaper from China and other places (as well as what we see with our eyes), the fake headline of Chinese newspaper depicting protestors are so horrible it's not even funny.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is the kind of company that would fire someone for flashing a black power fist on camera during the 60s because white viewers would be offended. Utterly cowardly.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What sad about the Chinese is their citizens are under media censorship. What they receive from news everyday are far from the truth, and they are constantly fed with lies that they don't even know they are being blindfolded.

We in Hong Kong get to see newspaper from China and other places (as well as what we see with our eyes), the fake headline of Chinese newspaper depicting protestors are so horrible it's not even funny.

American here. You guys have our sympathy, or at least mine if nobody else's. I have family from Hong Kong. Fight the power.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, there's not going to be any revolution or gradual change to moderacy in China. At least not from its people. The Propaganda there is near NK Levels.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Repeat after me:

Blizzard supports the genocidal regime of China to earn more money.

Repeat it everywhere you see Blizzard mentioned.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
When is the right time? Cause it seems with China there is no right time.

How's Xi's boot taste?

"Shut up and dribble"

No politics in muh games.

A lack of politics is political

so stop pushing this idiotic narrative

Everything is political. Blizzard's reaction to this is because of politics. This take makes no sense.

Go to hell Xi's puppet!

Not saying I agree with this, but even the International Olympic Committee is against any political statement in their games. No politics in sport isn't something really new. If I remember right, something like that happened in the past involving them.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying I agree with this, but even the International Olympic Committee is against any political statement in their games. No politics in sport isn't something really new. If I remember right, something like that happened in the past involving them.

And? The Olympic Committee is a bunch of cowards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.