• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BTW, this is one hell of a streisand effect too, isn't it?

Had blizzard just left it alone or even just penalized the player in a normal way for injecting their political stance onto their venue, then blitzchung's words would be fairly inconsequential.

Instead, no, idiots had to 'defend the pride of china' and take away his prize money and double down and now this is shaping up to be the biggest controversy of the year, literally a month before their biggest advertising event of the year.

Great job, assholes.
I hope their reputation never recovers.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of the overall Hong Kong pr situation it looks like China is trying to de escalate on the nba part of this week

Doubt anything will happen with blizzard but still interesting

I said this would happen. More companies need to push back because I bet 9/10 China will fold. They don't want a chain reaction that ends their success in censoring western content.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Do they think can just not say anything then Announce Diablo 4 and everything will be okay?
I genuinely think this is the plan.

I can't see how, unless the whole presentation approach changes this year. Even with Brack, that Welcome Address at Blizzcon is always filled with more heart and soul than your average conference or presser. They always talk a huge game about family, and friends, and how Blizzcon is where everyone reunites every year. LIke coming home. Ignoring this massive PR disaster will be at odds with the tone they've communicated with every single year at this address. I mean, I have no doubt that they'd be capable of re-envisioning that entire opening ceremony in the wake of all of this, but fuck would that ever be a shame.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll do the right thing here and address this with some kind of walk-back, but as someone else said, the silence right now is deafening.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
like Hobbes says ultimately Blizzard China or Blizzard Irvine, its still Blizzard, they knew what they were getting into when they signed whatever agreements for the China branch to be able to do this. That being said, I can just imagine like, J. Allen Brack waking up the morning after it happened and going "wait what happened?" lol >_<

Correct, Blizzard did not walk into this blind. They intentionally do business in China and know full well what is required to communicate to the Chinese audience.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Does Kotick's name in that book mean anything for sure? I'm super behind on that story, but that's basically just the guy's rolodex, right?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
ThatsAdmirable steps down as a caster...

He is one of the bigger casters, and was much more active than Kibler was as a caster in recent months

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Does Kotick's name in that book mean anything for sure? I'm super behind on that story, but that's basically just the guy's rolodex, right?

Nah it doesn't, it's basically just 'guilt by association.' It doesn't mean that it's not true or that he didn't know what went on or was involved with it though but this isn't proof that he was. Maybe enough for an investigation into their relationship with Epstein but that might have already happened.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, this is one hell of a streisand effect too, isn't it?

Had blizzard just left it alone or even just penalized the player in a normal way for injecting their political stance onto their venue, then blitzchung's words would be fairly inconsequential.

Instead, no, idiots had to 'defend the pride of china' and take away his prize money and double down and now this is shaping up to be the biggest controversy of the year, literally a month before their biggest advertising event of the year.

Great job, assholes.
also I cant see the ccp happy ether, this does not halp their goals. may be the groups I am in, but outside a rare cnn peice this is by far and away the most the hong kong issue has come up ever.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'd KILL to be in that PR war room right now. What is the strategy? It CAN'T be as terrible as "ride it out, they'll forget". Fuck.

Also, any word on Brack's statement to Employees? Surely something's been said by now.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Respect for Admirable and he certainly not as rich as Kibler. This put his livelihood on the line.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sottle also made a statement - he will remain as a caster but respects Blitzchung, and is critical of Blizzard...

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
ThatsAdmirable steps down as a caster...

He is one of the bigger casters, and was much more active than Kibler was as a caster in recent months

Damn. All these brave players saying shit and there's. RDU joined Thijs in also censoring Honk Kong in chat but you can still type China. It's ok if they don't want chat being spammed but to not even comment on it at all has made me unfollow both. RDU had a weird thing where you type !politics and it states that there will be no talk about Hong Kong.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'd KILL to be in that PR war room right now. What is the strategy? It CAN'T be as terrible as "ride it out, they'll forget". Fuck.

Also, any word on Brack's statement to Employees? Surely something's been said by now.
There's a 0% chance he made a statement to employees and it didn't leak about this issue imo.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
So they are down TJ (unrelated, health issues), Kibler and Admirable as casters for events this fall. Quite a hit, even with Sottle staying on.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
On /r/Blizzard, the picture showing Blizzard logo in the upper left of PRC flag got deleted by Reddit at 182k upvotes.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh absolutely, of that I have no doubt. They're going to try and ride this thing out and hope everyone forgets/loses momentum by the time Blizzcon takes place.

I think there is a difference though when you look at this compared to other issues. This is ongoing. It's just not a one time event, an apology - and people move on like the THQN stuff. Especially considering 8chan doesn't even exist anymore.

I think China's influence on gaming companies and how they react to their censorship and crimes against HK are just beginning. And as long as that persists, people will be reminded of Activision Blizzard and what they did.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
On /r/Blizzard, the picture showing Blizzard logo in the upper left of PRC flag got deleted by Reddit at 182k upvotes.

Yup...

From a /r/Blizzard mod:

This submission was not removed by any of our moderators. This image was removed by Reddit. The Reddit Admins has terminated their account. Please do not contact us about it. We can do nothing as Reddit is the one that removed the OP.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Reddit is banned in China anyway... why would Reddit ban this user? What difference does it make to them?

Maybe they are looking to get unbanned in China or maybe the user getting banned was unrelated to that post and was for some other infraction. There's unfortunately not enough information to know for sure.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the overall Hong Kong pr situation it looks like China is trying to de escalate on the nba part of this week

Doubt anything will happen with blizzard but still interesting

The all the might dollar is the reason why companies are willing to bend to China. But it goes both ways. China is dependent on foreign companies to bring their money and products into China. They also need to keep their people happy with material things to help maintain their total grip on power. This is all the more reason to call companies like Blizzard out of their bullshit. It puts the Chinese government in uncomfortable positions as well, however minor it is on a case by case.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when or if any Epic game will have some kind of streamed tournament for one of its games in Asia? I want someone to put Sweeney's statement to the test.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, this mysteriously disappeared as well as r/hongkong MAGICALLY disappearing from the top trending reddits yesterday after sitting at number 1 for a day anda ahalf.

It's at number 15. The top subreddits seem to change widely. r/hongkong dropped 14 ranks, but other subreddits have changed by hundreds or thousands of ranks. That speaks to its continued presence.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Why would you censor, and create a lot of shit for yourself, for a 7% or so shareholder?
Because it had 182k votes. That would've been top three of all time of all subreddits if it stopped growing.

They had to censor it because the message wouldve stayed on forever and they probably don't want to be on the bad side of their investors.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Does anyone know when or if any Epic game will have some kind of streamed tournament for one of its games in Asia? I want someone to put Sweeney's statement to the test.

Fortnite never really hit that critical mass popularity in Asia like it did in the West. I dont know if you should expect any major tourney in Asia any time soon.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

data

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is.

But they don't happen to have close to 182k votes and none of them is the picture that was posted.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think some people forget that threads aren't permanent on reddit and no matter the upvote amount they will eventually dissapear for new content

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Frodan absent from this week's Omnistone. They didn't say why. Kibler repeated what he said in his statement. Firebat (for those that don't know, also a competitor in the Grandmaster league) agreed, saying he understood some sort of punishment but thought Blizzard was wrong to make it so harsh and it seems like they want to kill blitzchung's Hearthstone career. Said it feels like there's something else going on and they might be making an example out of him.

data

Oct 25, 2017
i think some people forget that threads aren't permanent on reddit and no matter the upvote amount they will eventually dissapear for new content
They will. However it was 3rd top voted of all time for all subreddits. That would've been easily growing if it wasn't removed.

Plenty of them have well over 100k upvotes.
You'll have to forgive me, but the only one I see on Reddit with at least 100k votes is the tianmen square one. Nothing else within the last twenty four hours has hit 100k upvotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.