• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I'd KILL to be in that PR war room right now. What is the strategy? It CAN'T be as terrible as "ride it out, they'll forget". Fuck.

"Ride it out, they'll forget" is also an impossible strategy to pull off when you have a thin skinned government wanting you to silence everyone who speaks up or they'll take away your ability to make money in their country.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Try within the last week instead of 24 hours. It's been more than 24 hours since this happened :-) There's a lot of stuff there that China would want censored.
Ah thank you. Yeah that makes more sense. Feels like it all only started growing yesterday.

Still, now I'm wondering if it has to do with Blizzard

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Personally I think it was uniquely powerful. I thought out of all of the meme's it was the strongest. Definitely the most striking.

Perhaps, but it still wouldn't make sense to delete that and not all the other content.

Ah thank you. Yeah that makes more sense. Feels like it all only started growing yesterday.

Still, now I'm wondering if it has to do with Blizzard

It's difficult to know for sure as we don't have the info about why the user got banned.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps, but it still wouldn't make sense to delete that and not all the other content.

I think it had the best viral chance so deleting it makes sense. After seeing so many companies generally censor what they are told to by their Chinese connected businesses, I think it is reasonable to be suspicious when a notable reddit thread of this nature is deleted. Either way it's out there and on Knowyourmeme already so the thread really doesn't matter anymore.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Blizzard are holding out on releasing a statement until tomorrow because of the slower weekend news cycle.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
i think some people forget that threads aren't permanent on reddit and no matter the upvote amount they will eventually dissapear for new content

That's not true, if I wanted to go find a thread I made five years ago I could very easily do so. Your right that threads very quickly fall off of the front page of subreddits but they never disappear unless they are specifically deleted.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i think some people forget that threads aren't permanent on reddit and no matter the upvote amount they will eventually dissapear for new content
I have literally never seen an old thread disappear on Reddit simply because it was old. The fuck nonsense is this? The post was from this week, I can show you plenty of posts, not even popular ones, from like a decade ago.

data

Oct 25, 2017
maybe, yeah

remember when allegations of sexual harassment at naughty dog came out and their only acknowledgement and response was a blog post that amounted to nothing, which was put up on a sunday

and then everyone promptly forgot about it because it left the news cycle
Holy shit, I remember this.

Nothing came out of it.

Naughty dog basically said it didn't happen and now that it's forgotten and TLOU2 is coming out, people completely have forgiven Naughty Dog

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Blizzard are holding out on releasing a statement until tomorrow because of the slower weekend news cycle.
Possibly, but I'm not sure. Grandmasters playoffs starts in a little over 7 hours and I'd think if they wanted to say anything they'd do it before then in case any players have any ideas planned. There's no Hong Kong-based players in the playoffs, as far as I know, but Eddie is originally from Hong Kong and there's a few Taiwanese players in the mix.

Last edited:

Deleted member 57578

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Has this already been posted?:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/on...said-it-would-protect-chinas-national-dignity

Today, IGN obtained a translated version of a statement posted on October 8 to Blizzard's official account on the Chinese social media service Weibo. The translated statement follows:
We express our strong indignation [or resentment] and condemnation of the events that occurred in the Hearthstone Asia Pacific competition last weekend and absolutely oppose the dissemination of personal political ideas during any events [or games]. The players involved will be banned, and the commentators involved will be immediately terminated from any official business. Also, we will protect [or safeguard] our national dignity [or honor].

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
This, they don't want to lose the Chinese market. But how do you deal with the outrage from the rest of the world? They're up shit creek.
It's also a bit more trickier, in the end even if they did apologize and basically say '' fuck China '', that can lead to layoffs and the Blizzard branch in China, its employees can be in danger. We are dealing with human lives here, in the end.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's also a bit more trickier, in the end even if they did apologize and basically say '' fuck China '', that can lead to layoffs and the Blizzard branch in China, its employees can be in danger. We are dealing with human lives here, in the end.
There's nothing they can do to stop the employees in China from being in China. It's literally a non-factor. Like, what is China gonna do, hold their own citizens hostage?

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing they can do to stop the employees in China from being in China. It's literally a non-factor. Like, what is China gonna do, hold their own citizens hostage?
But what of their safety? They would be now affiliated with an anti-China company. I'm not so sure that would be a non-issue.

Still I hope that Blizzard gets rid of the China money, but the more I think about this, I'm starting to understand why Blizzard is taking their sweet, SWEET time trying to figure out how to get out of this without people losing their jobs or in worst case lives.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But what of their safety? They would be now affiliated with an anti-China company. I'm not so sure that would be a non-issue.

Still I hope that Blizzard gets rid of the China money, but the more I think about this, I'm starting to understand why Blizzard is taking their sweet, SWEET time trying to figure out how to get out of this without people losing their jobs or in worst case lives.
There's nothing that Blizzard can do about it if somehow that's what happens. It would be a pretty bold step for the Chinese government to threaten their own citizens over an American company that they would surely no longer be working for at that point.

That's an unreasonable fear and it's ridiculous to try and use it to justify inaction

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

From my understanding their operations there are handled by Netease and Tencent. I have never read of Blizzard worrying about their employees safety and if that is the case then that opens a whole other can of worms. How could they continue operations in a place that is threatening their employees. I need to see an article about Blizzard worrying about the safety of their employees in China.

I think it is more likely that they are horrible at handling crisis and there simply isn't a popular solution that doesn't involve really upsetting China. The only other solution is very bad and it is to carry on as usual and not support Hong Kong. They have put themselves in a terrible position because they are greedy idiots.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Chinese Blizzard employees wouldn't be in danger over the decisions by the American leadership.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Has this already been posted?:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/on...said-it-would-protect-chinas-national-dignity

Today, IGN obtained a translated version of a statement posted on October 8 to Blizzard's official account on the Chinese social media service Weibo. The translated statement follows:

yes it was posted 3 days ago when it happened

There's nothing that Blizzard can do about it if somehow that's what happens. It would be a pretty bold step for the Chinese government to threaten their own citizens over an American company that they would surely no longer be working for at that point.

That's an unreasonable fear and it's ridiculous to try and use it to justify inaction

could just be a matter of job security, not life security. If they ceased operations with China, people the would lose jobs, and people here would lose jobs, because this would affect stocks and shareholders, and heads would roll. Im not saying this justifies it, its just the reality of this whole mess.

and by here I mean in NA, where I am not lol

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Another morning here in the EU and no statement out of Irvine. Yeah, that's pretty much it for me.

maybe, yeah

remember when allegations of sexual harassment at naughty dog came out and their only acknowledgement and response was a blog post that amounted to nothing, which was put up on a sunday

and then everyone promptly forgot about it because it left the news cycle

Expect some WoW expansion and Diablo 4 "leaks" soon to push this out of the news cycle. And the media will probably happily play along.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
LMAO, nevermind then, as more shit gets discovered this will take a long time to die

this isnt a "discovery". Here's another one: Taiwanese players cant use the Taiwan flag or even call themselves from Taiwan, they are technically from "Chinese Taipei" (this is for any game btw). None of this is new if people actually pay attention to whats going on over there.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I believe strongly in Hong Kong's pro-democracy so I won't be buying any Blizzard products ever again. I actually find it shocking that a company that has created it's empire through democracy would not uphold such important values.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's why I don't think "memefying" Mei is really going to work that well, when they had no problem removing other stuff that could already offend them, I mean it would take a lot of effort and time. Not telling people to stop though :P

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
this isnt a "discovery". Here's another one: Taiwanese players cant use the Taiwan flag or even call themselves from Taiwan, they are technically from "Chinese Taipei" (this is for any game btw). None of this is new if people actually pay attention to whats going on over there.

Yeah this is tradition
At any international sports event, Taiwan team are always called Chinese Taipei team

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Another morning here in the EU and no statement out of Irvine. Yeah, that's pretty much it for me.

Expect some WoW expansion and Diablo 4 "leaks" soon to push this out of the news cycle. And the media will probably happily play along.
We kind of got a WoW expansion datamine, so I'm expecting a Diablo 4 teaser any time now.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

To clarify, Taiwan is required to style itself as Chinese Taipei in all international sporting events, it's not exclusive to Blizzard or gaming.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
THQ incident didn't cause an international crisis of identity though. Hell, people are now just finding out Blizzard makes their gay characters not gay in China as well.
There was never any real reference in the game, is it just a case of the supplementary material not being released in China? Or to they actually depict Tracer and 76 as straight in official media in China? Because that's fucked.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think that would have worked if they hadn't pissed everyone last year with that diablo mobile announcement

Oh, Activision-Blizzard WISH they could have something similar to the Diablo: "Immoral" debacle right now. Seriously, they had a massive blind spot by not having been ahead of this in the first place. It never should have happened like it did.

But it will be interesting to see what kind of press Blizzard will get by enacting censorship dictated by a foreign country while in American soil. They'll almost definitely have at least two different streams going, at least one for China and the one for everyone else, and the Chinese steam will be delayed so it can be controlled for content.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
There was never any real reference in the game, is it just a case of the supplementary material not being released in China? Or to they actually depict Tracer and 76 as straight in official media in China? Because that's fucked.

Any material mentioning they are gay is banned. So Emily is just known as Tracer's friend. To China they are straight, there are no gay overwatch heroes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.