• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked up. While I don't agree with what Blizzard has done at all, I also don't think calling them spineless cowards or screaming fuck corporations is constructive either. This is a byproduct of this globalised world we live in, and to me is a great indictment on globalisation as a whole.

I can understand why Blizzard did what they did, as potentially cutting off such a crucial market over 'just one player' (using this term for the sake of argument) isn't actually that straightforward. And therein lies the issue, why is a company having to make the choice between accommodating human rights and profit? Globalisation. That China is becoming such a major player in the game is probably one of the worst things that could have happened over the past decade, because shit like this will become more and more common.

Again, while I think it's fucked up, my issue is less with Blizzard and more the system in general. It's a bigger issue than them.

I suspect that this was a snap decision impulsively handed down on a regional level, and that at this hour, J Allen Brack might not even have woken up to it yet in California to witness the scale of PR nightmare that has popped up overnight.

It is, of course, still his responsibility as the man at the top. The perception that Blizzard is abandoning its player base for the Chinese market is a stink that has quite properly clouded the company for years, and it has only gotten worse since Morhaime left. (The disproportionate scale of last year's uproar over Diablo Immortal, ultimately, wasn't just about Diablo Immortal.)

What I'm saying is that there is still room for action and still room for a strong, acceptable official response. It's just that none of us should be foolishly optimistic enough to expect it.

Blizzard's top-level management is still in a position to talk to its eastern offices, walk this back, and reconcile with the players. (It's why I'm not deleting any accounts just yet, although I've frozen all my plans for spending.) Whether they'll have the guts to run against Chinese pressure, by even making a small compromise like rescinding the ban, is another matter. In the current climate, we all know they probably don't, and I think it's quite understandable for their communities to respond on the presumption that they don't.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible.

But you know what, Activision-blizzard made this decision because they calculated placating China was best for their business Than defending democracy

I wonder how many of their consumers will take a stand to prove them wrong. My guess is "almost none"

Oct 25, 2017
This is despicable from Blizzard, and demands an immediate and all encompassing boycott of their products.

Players get caught being racist? sexist? homophobic? Slaps on the wrist, handled quietly, no fuss, get back to making us money.

A player dares to question the mighty China? Banned. Also anyone within 5 meters of him, banned. Also, the VoD scrubbed from history.

Fuck Blizzard.

Yep. Agreed. Fuck Blizzard.

Oct 27, 2017
from what I experienced, I get prize money from blizzard before.. they paid you after some time from tournament ended.. so I can imagine he not receive anything yet from current league, and thats what rescinded.

Thanks. Awful situation. Will be interesting to see how they handle the PR backlash (if there even is any significant backlash).

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly suspect that this was a snap decision impulsively handed down on a regional level, and that at this hour, J Allen Brack might not even have woken up to it yet in California to witness the scale of PR nightmare that has popped up overnight.

It is, of course, still his responsibility as the man at the top. The perception that Blizzard is abandoning its player base for the Chinese market is a stink that has quite properly clouded the company for years, and it has only gotten worse since Morhaime left. (The disproportionate scale of last year's uproar over Diablo Immortal, ultimately, wasn't just about Diablo Immortal.)

What I'm saying is that there is still room for action and still room for a strong, acceptable official response. It's just that none of us should be foolishly optimistic enough to expect it.

Blizzard's top-level management is still in a position to talk to its eastern offices, walk this back, and reconcile with the players. (It's why I'm not deleting any accounts just yet, although I've frozen all my plans for spending.) Whether they'll have the guts to run against Chinese pressure, by even making a small compromise like rescinding the ban, is another matter. In the current climate, we all know they probably don't, and I think it's quite understandable for their communities to respond on the presumption that they don't.

The problem is that there is no serious thought of walking back on this. The Chinese backslash would indeed be disastrous for Blizzard and might very well result in a full ban of the company from the entire Chinese market. Even minor "slights" towards China and it's government aren't ever accepted which is why Blizzard and all the other companies bendover backwards so pathetically.

In some way, it's beautiful to see the prioritizing of financials over ethics in such clarity for companies wanting in on the Chinese market. Tough to act woke for them, here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I hope everyone is ready for more of this kind of bullshit from every other company Tencent has a stake in, or who has significant Chinese investment or investment in China.

It's not paranoia, or anti-Chinese propaganda. Tencent are an extension of the Chinese State. To do business in China you have to be buddy-buddy with the CCP.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah any video game company that sells to Chinese markets are going to be sweating bullets. Maybe a reckoning is at hand.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
While I don't agree what this person said, but it's sad to see people gettin deprived of everything simply because they gave their own opinions, NBA and Blizzy are coward indeed.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I knew Blizzard would chicken out but didn't think it would be so quick and immediate. What a disgrace.

The_Freeman

Nov 5, 2017
I don't really play any of their games, but I was going to pick up Overwatch on the Switch to give it a go. I know it's not going to bankrupt them, but I won't be buying it now.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Disgraceful. I hope they walk this back. If not I hope everyone boycuts them.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
To hell with Blizzard, Activision, gambling boxes, and extortion microtransactions. It's time to shun the worshippers of the almighty dollar and buy independent, union, and queer

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well fuck off then Blizzard. Literally never buying another product of theirs for that shit. Hopefully Acti keep gutting the company and end up killing it by mistake

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I fully expect this to be the norm considering how many game pubs at this point are funded by Chinese conglomerates. Sucks but,

I mean

Last edited:

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
All companies are garbage and they'll almost always go where the money is. That said, thems the rules and the guy broke them so he got the banhammer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pretty sure the Olympics has pretty strong repercussions when you try to use it as a platform for your political speech too.

Now why the hosts got fired as well, I have no idea, that's messed up.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
And again all I can say is I'm ashamed to be American and watching the Houston Rockets & Blizzard be so undemocratic just for money truly a sad sight.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I have not bought an Activision-Blizzard game to my knowledge in like the past decade.

Add it to my boycott list. I've been called borderline racist for saying I dont want to support games companies with too much chinese stakeholders though

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Fuck every corporation that got into bed with China and now bends to their will. I wonder if epic and bungie regret taking those investments now. Because I'm sure they came with strings.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Blizzard & Activison aren't getting anymore of my money ever again.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Why a video game editor would take part in a political decision? China surely fills your pockets more easily than some freedom ideas.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked up. While I don't agree with what Blizzard has done at all, I also don't think calling them spineless cowards or screaming fuck corporations is constructive either. This is a byproduct of this globalised world we live in, and to me is a great indictment on globalisation as a whole.

I can understand why Blizzard did what they did, as potentially cutting off such a crucial market over 'just one player' (using this term for the sake of argument) isn't actually that straightforward. And therein lies the issue, why is a company having to make the choice between accommodating human rights and profit? Globalisation. That China is becoming such a major player in the game is probably one of the worst things that could have happened over the past decade, because shit like this will become more and more common.

Again, while I think it's fucked up, my issue is less with Blizzard and more the system in general. It's a bigger issue than them.

You are going WAY too easy on them. I understand that what you are saying is that there are systemic problems at work here. You are absolutely correct. That being said, this isn't a child growing in a broken society heading down the wrong path because he hasn't been taught the right lessons, this is a giant corporation actively suppressing a person's voice in order to profit. That is shitty AND cowardly.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it, but I'm curious to see if anyone will ask about this in those open mic Q&A sections at Blizzcon.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime going forward that blizzard attempts to show that they are a progressive company, remind them they support authoritarian rule and are against people speaking against it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Always pathetic to see a company bow down to the whims of China. Fuck Blizzard, glad I don't play any of their games.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Tencent owns

Riot Games (100%)

Supercell (84.3%)
Epic Games (40%)
Activision Blizzard (5%)
Ubisoft (5%)
Paradox Interactive (5%)