• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this. Well, canceling my wow account. Shame too as I loved classic. Fuck china and this shit stain company.

Oct 25, 2017
zafaeeiay9r31.png

(Source)

Also, has anyone managed to preserve video of the incident before it was taken down? I would very much like to see it circulated.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They better start being tougher, because CCP is going to test the waters sooner or later, say if John Oliver does another segment about President Xi, Warner Bro's movies in mainland china might start getting banned & Oliver has to "retire"

This is why the new South Park episode is so refreshing. Completely unapologetic.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hurt what people?! Fuck that.

I don't think we should go after individuals who don't want to comment. This could effect their livelihood. Expecting them to jeopardize that is a little unreasonable.

The company I work for does good work, but it is Chinese. I wouldn't speak out against this type of thing using my real name either. I have a mortgage to pay.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I don't think we should go after individuals who don't want to comment. This could effect their livelihood. Expecting them to jeopardize that is a little unreasonable.

The company I work for does good work, but it is Chinese. I wouldn't speak out against this type of thing using my real name either. I have a mortgage to pay.

If he said something along those lines: "Hey I cannot get into this due to personal reasons as a Blizzard employee."
That would be perfectly fine. However, he just made a nothing statement.

Oct 25, 2017
Hurt what people?! Fuck that.

Don't underestimate counter-pressure from pro-China elements. They regularly go as far as intimidation and violence against pro-HK diasporas on the other side of the world, and persuading politically illiterate public figures to treat them as sensitive, legitimate stakeholders has been part of their playbook from the start.

Saw this posted on the Hearthstone subreddit:

ef7ivyqu7ar31.jpg

Brilliant. Hope these keep coming in.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Uh wow. That's surprisingly awful. I'm actually kind of shocked they would go so far since it plays so poorly outside of China. They still want to make money here too, right?

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzcon this year will hopefully be more interesting then anything blizzard has produced in a number of years .

I can already see activision sharpening the blades

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Another digital card game Gods Unchained said they willing to replace blitzchung's rescinded prize money and invite them to their tourney

total marketing stunt, but eh whatever works for Blitzchung

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh wow. That's surprisingly awful. I'm actually kind of shocked they would go so far since it plays so poorly outside of China. They still want to make money here too, right?

They think there will be no blowback. To me, this is worse than supporting Trump, and it's not even close.
The only way this stops is if Blizzard gets real and aggressive blowback, and no forgiveness if they walk it back. The level of enthusiasm which they had for this makes it where I don't think Blizzard can be forgiven for this, at least not for years.

Blizzcon this year will hopefully be more interesting then anything blizzard has produced in a number of years .

I can already see activision sharpening the blades

Interesting times- like the Chinese proverb.

Oct 26, 2017
Era really likes to go apeshit over news like this. I, for one, find this totally justified. Politics has no place in sports, regardless of views expressed. He chose the wrong time and place to push his agenda and in all likelihood he was perfectly aware of what he was risking.

I see you are banned now but I'm going to entertain you for a bit...

if this was a normal sport (soccer, bastkeball, etc), I find doubtful a player would be directly expelled and banned from a tourney for a political statement. Reprimanded? Slap in the wrist? Yeah. Removed from the game and rescinded the prize? without any prior warning? I find it hard to believe.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
hoping this blows up and becomes a PR nightmare for blizzard.
gaming press, now it's your chance to do something good.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
There is much more money to be gained from China compared to the few people who will boycott them. Most westerners won't care about this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Acti-Blizzard being utter shite. Shocking. As if we didn't have enough proof of them being garbage already.

Original Blitzchung video / statement
Oct 25, 2017
Found the video.

Lump, can this be added to the OP?

The exchange is in Mandarin, but you can get the general tenor of the incident. Again: even the casters were fired.

Blitzchung's statement:

Blitzchung said:
As you know there are serious protests in my country now. My call on stream was just another form of participation of the protest that I wish to grab more attention. I put so much effort in that social movement in the past few months, that I sometimes couldn't focus on preparing my Grandmaster match. I know what my action on stream means. It could cause me lot of trouble, even my personal safety in real life. But I think it's my duty to say something about the issue.

Last edited:

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I see you are banned now but I'm going to entertain you for a bit...

if this was a normal sport (soccer, bastkeball, etc), I find doubtful a player would be directly expelled and banned from a tourney for a political statement. Reprimanded? Slap in the wrist? Yeah. Removed from the game and rescinded the prize? without any prior warning? I find it hard to believe.
Yup. I think Eurovision Song Contest gave Iceland a 5000 euro fine for their contestants showing Palestinian flags during the finals in Israel earlier. Whether you agree with that or not, Iceland will just pay the fine and be back for next year.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its gone far enough with all of these Western companies kowtowing to China for their money. Fuck them, spineless cowards, and fuck the PRC.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I hate it when people say corps are fake woke, and only do progressive things for PR and capital gains, because even if it's true, in the end the progressive things they do help out even if a little.

But this straight out puts Blizzard in a shameful place.

Yes please tell how your characters are all progressive, but in the real world you ban and censor real people for supporting freedom.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is despicable from Blizzard, and demands an immediate and all encompassing boycott of their products.

Players get caught being racist? sexist? homophobic? Slaps on the wrist, handled quietly, no fuss, get back to making us money.

A player dares to question the mighty China? Banned. Also anyone within 5 meters of him, banned. Also, the VoD scrubbed from history.

Fuck Blizzard.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I play Shadowverse instead of Hearthstone after this. I dont wanna support this kind of bullshit.

If anyone here likes playing Hearthstone know it's a knockoff of shadowverse anyhow and there is an alternative in the original as an option if this offends you.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I play Shadowverse instead of Hearthstone after this. I dont wanna support this kind of bullshit.

If anyone here likes playing Hearthstone know it's a knockoff of shadowverse anyhow and there is an alternative in the original as an option if this offends you.
Shadowverse is indeed on good place right now, yeah I'm gonna play instead fully from now on.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I mean counting on the American gaming audience in any significant number to be on the right side of things politically isn't exactly a bet I'd take.

We'll see what people do at Blizzcon. My guess is people won't care and It'll be forgotten by then.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked up. While I don't agree with what Blizzard has done at all, I also don't think calling them spineless cowards or screaming fuck corporations is constructive either. This is a byproduct of this globalised world we live in, and to me is a great indictment on globalisation as a whole.

I can understand why Blizzard did what they did, as potentially cutting off such a crucial market over 'just one player' (using this term for the sake of argument) isn't actually that straightforward. And therein lies the issue, why is a company having to make the choice between accommodating human rights and profit? Globalisation. That China is becoming such a major player in the game is probably one of the worst things that could have happened over the past decade, because shit like this will become more and more common.

Again, while I think it's fucked up, my issue is less with Blizzard and more the system in general. It's a bigger issue than them.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
wtf is going on

NBA and Blizzard are some fake ass woke cunts
At least, Silver from the NBA took a stance, even if it may cost him dearly.

Watching the press conference on NBA TV now, Silver went on record saying, "If [CCTV not airing preseason games are consequences of those within the league expressing their values then those are the consequences.]"

He also went on record saying the league will protect the freedom of speech of NBA employees including those based in Hong Kong.

Let's see what Blizzard will do, heeh...

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous and inexcusable decision. I'd say it's unexpected but money sure makes the world go round.

Consider me naive, but I would've thought that prize money couldn't be taken away like that... Is there a tournament currently running and they've nullified his winnings from that tournament - or is it for any tournaments he's played that he hasn't yet received his winnings?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck. And I was hyped to see Diablo 4, too.
Fuck them, I hope they choke on their Chinese money.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous and inexcusable decision. I'd say it's unexpected but money sure makes the world go round.

Consider me naive, but I would've thought that prize money couldn't be taken away like that... Is there a tournament currently running and they've nullified his winnings from that tournament - or is it for any tournaments he's played that he hasn't yet received his winnings?
from what I experienced, I get prize money from blizzard before.. they paid you after some time from tournament ended.. so I can imagine he not receive anything yet from current league, and thats what rescinded.

Status
Not open for further replies.