• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The news spread on the Chinese social network 'Weibo', so the comments were scared.

V9HD8iu.jpg

Government brain washing and a social credit system that rewards you for defending the government...beyond pathetic.

Nov 1, 2017
Last year was my first time going and that Diablo Immortal thing definitely soured the experience a little in addition to it being an off-year. This year seemed promising for announcements but with this I'm wondering if I can even succeed in selling the ticket. I think I'm pretty locked in.

The kicker is this Blizzcon was being framed as the apology for last year with big announcements expected. Now? Unless they do something before hand the crowd there might be actually partially hostile.

If you do go, do as others have said they are going to do, wear pro HK clothing like a shirt and chant Free HK should others chant it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Generalizations Surrounding Race; Accumulated Infractions
The chinese 'netizen' (hate the word) response shows how sheltered and immature the Chinese psyche is.

Chinese expats and their children living overseas exhibit similar behavior. Reacting with incredulity at any hint of criticism of China, but they talk shit about their adoptive country and of course the Americans all the time.

The lashing out and going for the low hanging fruit nature of the comments, unless it's just from a form letter propaganda appartus, shows a lack of sophistication. It's a very gut, fuck you too response from the asshole in the room after being called an asshole. no introspection.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this happened:
American University Hearthstone team holds up "Free Hong Kong, boycott Blizzard" sign during Collegiate Hearthstone Championship. Blizzard quickly cuts their broadcast.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The news spread on the Chinese social network 'Weibo', so the comments were scared.

I don't really understand how 9/11 is in any way analogous to supporting a democratic movement in HK.

Unintentionally, they got the point, because you can absolutely say you think 9/11 was a good thing/support it/whatever in the U.S. and not get instantly thrown in jail by the government. People of all parties also openly joke and talk about California leaving the union all the time.

10k upvotes in a country of 1.4 billion seems like nothing.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

V9HD8iu.jpg

Assuming this is their actual thoughts and not just government sponsored trolling, it's pretty telling that they view what is happening in Hong Kong right now as an act of terrorism.

Won't be surprise if their image of what's happening there is just the protesters burning the city down. And to be honest, I think that's what a lot of people's impression of this protest is.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard supporting a genocidal regime. That's nice PR right there... Well done Blizzard /s.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once China bans Blizz/Blizz games for whatever multitude of dumb reasons they see fit, Blizzard is going to do an absolutely pathetic crawl back to the Western world. What the fuck are they even thinking? They've already kind of missed their chance to do a good faith statement. Silence and inaction will only tarnish them worse and worse at this point.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this hits Blizzard hard - they clearly stopped giving a fuck about their fan-base a long time ago, and now it's clear that they don't care about people in general - it's all about the money for them.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
What is the state media telling them re: the reasoning behind burning down the city?

That democracy doesn't work, it only inspires violence and chaos.

Yesterday on the train I overhead primary school kids talking about how the Hong Kong Protesters burn down yet another building. I'm not in China but this narrative is definitely starting to spread because people are seeing the actions and not the cause.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
What is the state media telling them re: the reasoning behind burning down the city?
This is their angle of report: the extradition bill was made with good intentions and only natural since Hong Kong have that with many other states (which conveniently not mentioning all these stats have rule of law, and Hong Kong have the final say on whether to go forward the actual extradition, but in this bill the central gov have the final say.)

The rejection is due to Hong Kong youths' discrimination against mainlanders, which especially effective on rallying support since condescending hong konger is a very commonly hated stereotype in mainland.

Then selective showing images of people holding British flags, burning Chinese flag, violent youth and injured cops.

I followed the Chinese side of reporting pretty close. I have to say if those reports are all I have, I will have a negative impression on the protestor as well.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
They really are hoping this will go away.

Blizzcon is just 3 weeks away, I think if it was further away it could die down but with such a short timespan I think the whole thing is gonna be a greater clusterfuck than 'Do you guys not have phones' fiasco.

The least I can do for now is cancel WoW subscription, but I'm really hoping this blows up at Blizzcon.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad i feel no reason to even care supporting blizzard anymore. You fucking piece of shit cowards. You fucks. I mean, i might have to think about things if you made good games i cared about. What a travesty that would be.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzcon is just 3 weeks away, I think if it was further away it could die down but with such a short timespan I think the whole thing is gonna be a greater clusterfuck than 'Do you guys not have phones' fiasco.

The least I can do for now is cancel WoW subscription, but I'm really hoping this blows up at Blizzcon.
They'll cancel BlizzCon and do a Blizzard Direct.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Just put in the request to delete my blizzard, battle.net account.
Blizzard as the game company that i once liked doesn´t (and hasn´t for half a decade) exist anymore anyway, so it wasn´t even hard.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand how 9/11 is in any way analogous to supporting a democratic movement in HK.

Unintentionally, they got the point, because you can absolutely say you think 9/11 was a good thing/support it/whatever in the U.S. and not get instantly thrown in jail by the government. People of all parties also openly joke and talk about California leaving the union all the time.

10k upvotes in a country of 1.4 billion seems like nothing.
They are brainwashed by state medias into believing that the Hong Kong social movement in the past 4 months is in fact terror attacks branded as a pro-democracy movement.
So there comes the notion 'if you support Hong Kong, then why don't you support 9/11 as well?'.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

There is also Switch OW release next week. Interesting times ahead.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
They really are hoping this will go away.
It's not a terribly surprising move, because they've seriously painted themselves into a corner here. If they reverse the decision, then that's the end of their business in China, but if they double down, that will get China off their back (until the inevitable next thing), but at the cost of justifiably pissing off everyone else even more (and they've already managed to piss people off quite a lot just with the initial move, it kind of struck a nerve). Basically the only "winning" (if we define winning as not losing) move they really have is to just sort of wait it out and just hope it goes away. Though, with Blizzcon so close, I have some doubts as to the how effective that strategy will end up being.

Given China's rather... uncompromising stance on things like this, I think Blizzard getting banned from China is basically inevitable at this point. The question is increasingly looking like "when" and not "if".

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a terribly surprising move, because they've seriously painted themselves into a corner here. If they reverse the decision, then that's the end of their business in China, but if they double down, that will get China off their back (until the inevitable next thing), but at the cost of justifiably pissing off everyone else even more (and they've already managed to piss people off quite a lot just with the initial move, it kind of struck a nerve). Basically the only "winning" (if we define winning as not losing) move they really have is to just sort of wait it out and just hope it goes away. Though, with Blizzcon so close, I have some doubts as to the how effective that strategy will end up being.

Given China's rather... uncompromising stance on things like this, I think Blizzard getting banned from China is basically inevitable at this point. The question is increasingly looking like "when" and not "if".

The only response is to be equally uncompromising on our end. Force them to choose. We absolutely should be doing as little business as possible with China. They are not our friends.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017

Given Tencent's recent transgressions, I'd say they would be none too pleased to see Blizzard employees protesting on campus

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The chinese 'netizen' (hate the word) response shows how sheltered and immature the Chinese psyche is.

Chinese expats and their children living overseas exhibit similar behavior. Reacting with incredulity at any hint of criticism of China, but they talk shit about their adoptive country and of course the Americans all the time.

The lashing out and going for the low hanging fruit nature of the comments, unless it's just from a form letter propaganda appartus, shows a lack of sophistication. It's a very gut, fuck you too response from the asshole in the room after being called an asshole. no introspection.

This post makes me uncomfortable.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This is unacceptable.
Well, I'll just add Blizzard to the (long) list of companies I will not support.
They really sunk low.

The bigger problem remains China, but the world at large doesn't want to trouble our next future communicapitalist big brother overlord.

I'm genuinely scared about what could happen in the future...

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Blizzcon is going to be interesting. I hope this will be really visible on that event in one form or another. I wish their streams get constantly bombarded with this.

Will be interesting to see how they are going to follow up with this with some sort of statement or if they'll just ignore the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.