• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I think we Should update the site to have Free Hong Kong Banner on the Site to show solidarity with people who are being silenced by Corporations more interested in making China happy than Human Rights.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think we Should update the site to have Free Hong Kong Banner on the Site to show solidarity with people who are being silenced by Corporations more interested in making China happy than Human Rights.

We should. China's atrocities will be the story of this century. It would be commendable to get out in front of it and show early solidarity.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
hH364CC.jpg

album of mei supporting hong kong - https://imgur.com/a/SXMwglU

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Good. Still, havent seen anything from Taliesen, Pyromancer, Preacher, SignsofKelani, the lady with the pink hair (I forget her name sorry) etc

Or Rhykker although he is a Diablo guy.
Rhykker will likely cover it when he does his next news update. Doesn't mean he will speak out against Blizzard's actions but I don't see how he couldn't cover it

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
If they're addressing the employees first I wonder if a follow up statement is coming. I'd imagine it would have to be.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone at Blizzcon should go in Winnie the Pooh cosplay, winnie the pooh t-shirts, bring pooh plushies any pooh merch they can get their hands on.
What is Blizzard going to do, ban everyone wearing Pooh t-shirts? If they try it they are going to look the utter fools.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still cant understand why people are rallying behind Mei when her Voice Actor is very pro PRC and her IP is owned by a corporation that just sided with the PRC

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I still cant understand why people are rallying behind Mei when her Voice Actor is very pro PRC and her IP is owned by a corporation that just sided with the PRC

That's exactly why people are rallying behind Mei.

They want to take one of their beloved characters and turn them into a symbol for the people they just stood against.

It's a fuck you to China and Blizzard.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Besides what was said right above me.

I believe the idea is to actually get her banned by the PRC, forcing Blizzard to remove her from the game.
Then the protesters will find another Overwatch character to rally behind. Repeat until the game completely falls apart.

Jun 20, 2019
To get Mei banned from Overwatch and, hopefully, get all of Overwatch banned in China. To make sure Blizzard feels the full consequences of cozying up to a regime that does not respect freedom of expression. And, most importantly, to show solidarity with Hong Kong.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

In the unlikely event that Blizzard backtracks, it will be because the shareholders had a meeting and they decided the PR hit outside China would be more costly than getting banned within China. They'll dress it up as "doing the right thing" or whatever, but it really just comes down to that simple formula: which choice mitigates more damage.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see. They are fully aware of what it means to choose her as an icon of resistance and democracy.

I'd take a political woke Mei over a corporate one any day.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really hope we quickly find out what J Allen Brack said to the employees about the situation.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HARDLY.

Yes, Anthem was a disaster. Yes, it was a poor game. Yes, it had issues.

But there's bad gameplay, bad releases, bad loot progression....

... And then there's THIS.

A disappointing game is nothing compared to a huge video game company openly siding with a tyrannical regime and harshly punishing one of their players for advocating for basic human rights.

This has become an international incident where even bipartisan condemnation from politicians is being hurled at them and countries across the globe are condemning their behavior.

This is beyond the pale and indefensible. It showed that all of Blizzard's "core values" are just lip-service and pure hypocrisy. It's BEYOND embarrassing and shameful, and they need to be dragged for this - now and forever. This is appalling and they deserve every bit of backlash being levied against them.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

I have not been active here in a few months due to demands of RL and little time to play games, but I just logged inn to say I fully support this.

Do it!

Oct 29, 2017

Fully agreed.

Only one that comes close is THQ Nordic doing a QA on 8chan, and I think this has that one easily beat.

I never imagined that shitshow would be topped, but here we are.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
HARDLY.

Yes, Anthem was a disaster. Yes, it was a poor game. Yes, it had issues.

But there's bad gameplay, bad releases, bad loot progression....

... And then there's THIS.

A disappointing game is nothing compared to a huge video game company openly siding with a tyrannical regime and harshly punishing one of their players for advocating for basic human rights.

This has become an international incident where even bipartisan condemnation from politicians is being hurled at them and countries across the globe are condemning their behavior.

This is beyond the pale and indefensible. It showed that all of Blizzard's "core values" are just lip-service and pure hypocrisy. It's BEYOND embarrassing and shameful, and they need to be dragged for this - now and forever. This is appalling and they deserve every bit of backlash being levied against them.

I was hoping for a meme response but okay. Your point is taken.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Only one that comes close is THQ Nordic doing a QA on 8chan, and I think this has that one easily beat.

I don't know which one is worse (hard to compare, they're both absolutely 100% horrendous on many, but different, levels), but fuck if these two haven't singlehandedly turned this year into the worst ever for videogames in decades. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.