• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
does anyone know what blizzard said to employees about this?
Probably announce a special deal where dissident employees will be promoted to Blizzard China, become fully nationalized Chinese citizens overnight, and asked to relocate to mainland China as soon as possible, but are not permitted to disclose any information of the event to the public.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. The two systems one country thing was inevitably lead to problems.

I think the root cause of the issue is that instead of negotiating with protestors (and addressing concerns of the people) China attempts to make them forcefully submit. Not much to do with merits of 2s1c. Multiple systems can work together, as shown by EU. People of wildly different cultural and ethnic backgrounds forming a common government. Mutual trust and cooperation, not forceful submission.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think the root cause of the issue is that instead of negotiating with protestors (and addressing concerns of the people) China attempts to make them forcefully submit. Not much to do with merits of 2s1c. Multiple systems can work together, as shown by EU. People of wildly different cultural and ethnic backgrounds forming a common government. Mutual trust and cooperation, not forceful submission.

The EU works differently though, it's not a supergovernment but a cooperation coalition, even though it does show that multiple countries can work together. I would've loved to see something like that in South America, but many economic and political powers don't want that kind of self dominance. What China does about not negotiating with protestors is what usually happens, sadly. See what's going on with Ecuador for example. After some time, negotiations can take place with enough social pressure, but I don't think that China will do it in this case

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
I'm woefully under-educated about what the One country, two systems actually entails . What does China actually get from owning Hong Kong? The last thing I read said Hong Kong has their own independant governmental system, legal system, economic system, financial affairs and trade relations. (With taxes even staying in Hong Kong instead of going to the mainland)

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard sure isn't rushing a response, eh?

As far as I'm concerned, that company can go fuck itself now. Even if they were to finally backpedal completely and even abandon the Chinese market (which they'd be forced to), the long silence speaks volumes.

If nothing else, there's no redemption without Bobby Kotick and some other higherups departing for their clearly fucked up morals. Like I could ever follow another of Blizzard's nowadays already cheesy enough stories and not feel like throwing up when the heroes defeat some oppressive regime. A regime that the very company creating the game would support at the drop of a hat.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
So it seems the plan at the moment is to allow the live Q&A, wonder if they backtrack on that sometime soon...

Bliz.png

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
If nothing else the silence has at least got me doing a partial boycott. I've requested a refund for WC3r and they're not getting anything from me in the near future.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Is it legal for Blizzard to disable all ways to delete your account? Maybe there can be a class action lawsuit.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the 1000 year ban on their forums for discussing Hong Kong true? I saw it r/HongKong.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
the longer they delay on a response, the more tempted i am to delete my account.

Seriously, taking his won winnings is BS. I'm not against punishment for voicing political views on esports, but the length, severity, and lapdog-like need to accommodate chinese government and population sentiment is bullcrap. The casters should be publicly reprimanded AND NOT FIRED, he should have been banned for like one tournament (which is like a month i think, instead of 2 years), AND DONT TAKE HIS FUCKING WINNINGS HE ALREADY WON.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the longer they delay on a response, the more tempted i am to delete my account.

Seriously, taking his won winnings is BS. I'm not against punishment for voicing political views on esports, but the length, severity, and lapdog-like need to accommodate chinese government and population sentiment is bullcrap. The casters should be publicly reprimanded AND NOT FIRED, he should have been banned for like one tournament (which is like a month i think, instead of 2 years), AND DONT TAKE HIS FUCKING WINNINGS HE ALREADY WON.
Just do it. Feels great. Fresh start.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/dfugfq/world_of_warcraft_clientside_profanity_filter/

I've found tweet on other subreddits about "NoExtraditionToChina" included in WoW profanity filter: https://prnt.sc/pha84v
But it was not possible to cross-post it here, so I've checked by myself what's included there, and next to "NoExtraditionToChina" found a few interesting too:
  • ExtraditionLaw
  • NoChinaExtradition
  • antiELAB
  • freeHongKong
Edit: All those keywords were added in 8.2.0.30888 PTR version that was released Live at June 25 as 8.2.0.30920 version. Here you can see full list of keywords added in this patch.

Apologies if already mentioned.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
What...? This is ridiculous. They are an American company.

American by location at this point only, they are clearly more for china/money than freedom at this point.

I feel sorry for all employees who clearly are upset and still working there since they were probably not expecting this blindside, especially by a company WHO LITERALLY BETRAYED THEIR OWN PHILOSOPHIES.

God, i am really hoping there is no response and we get a shit show at blizzcon.

Because honestly, i fully expect a non answer and not taking sides..........which in this day and age is bullshit. Your silence means you took the side of China and money. Giving the generic non political statement doesn't work for shit anymore. You can't get away with it

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its amazing how companies are rushing to be on the wrong side of history when it comes to China.

Predictable but no less disgusting.

"sure, I mean it was horrible but for a time, we protected our partnership and made a whole lot of money."

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Well did my part and uninstalled battlenet and HS. rip I guess. Maybe I will take up Magic The Gathering. Hopefully China bans Blizzard games.

yes, i gave away my gold in classic last night and deleted all my characters plus uninstalled.

It was depressing, but private servers do still exist to where i can enjoy BC and stuff without giving blizzard any money to get my enjoyment. I don't have any bad feelings for those that wish to keep playing......they can do what they want but i gave my case why i was quitting

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, I really don't expect T&E to be anything more than Blizzard PR.
I don't get the Talesin is a shill idea on this issue. Have you guys not watched his Twitch streams in the past week? He's as anti-corporate as they come. Though he does blame the casters for having foreknowledge of the speech, which could be a point of contention. But he straight up said Blizzard handled this horribly.

The MDI casters on the other hand... well you can see that most of them don't want to endanger their livelihood before Blizzcon. *shrug*

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't get the Talesin is a shill idea on this issue. Have you guys not watched his Twitch streams in the past week? He's as anti-corporate as they come. Though he does blame the casters for having foreknowledge of the speech, which could be a point of contention. But he straight up said Blizzard handled this horribly.

The MDI casters on the other hand... well you can see that most of them don't want to endanger their livelihood before Blizzcon. *shrug*

I don't keep track of his pro-corp/anti-corp stances, I just know that I've never heard him say a bad word about Blizzard, even when Blizzard blatantly fucked up. I'll be happy to see examples of where he did that, if I'm being unfair.

Oct 28, 2017
Well did my part and uninstalled battlenet and HS. rip I guess. Maybe I will take up Magic The Gathering. Hopefully China bans Blizzard games.

MTG Arena is a far, far superior product to Hearthstone although I think the current standard meta kinda sucks.

The only reason I was still playing Hearthstone is because MTG isn't on mobile yet...but because of this I'm trying out Shadowverse and Eternal to see if either can grab me.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably super late in asking this, but has there been any statements from Overwatch League, be it the players or the league itself?
Probably not but there are I think 3 Chinese backed teams and I think a few Chinese players still left, although they may be free agents by now. Not sure what OWL specifically can say given the cost to buy in to those 3 teams was pretty hefty. Also consider OWL wants to do more regional games and I can only assume that includes having some live matches at some point in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.