• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the overall Hong Kong pr situation it looks like China is trying to de escalate on the nba part of this week

Doubt anything will happen with blizzard but still interesting

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I think Blizzard is counting on big news like OW2, new heroes/events/updates/crossplay to make this go away and pretend nothing happened at all.

And if that fails they can always blame it on some higher up guy and use him as scapegoat.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm genuinely shocked that Blizzard has not offered any additional PR statements. Just...fuck it.

They painted themselves into a corner. They either say "ok we let money make us forget about our core values, fuck China" (which they won't), or they double down and make it worse. They basically don't have any move that doesn't cause a fuckton of damage right now. It's glorious.

Oct 26, 2017
Every day that goes by just cements Blizzard further as being massive cowards, I would say that they have permanently damaged their 'inclusive' reputation. It is going to be brought up with every new announcement they make in the future.

This is a fuckup of massive proportions.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. That's something. They're choosing not to punish someone that did exactly what Blitzchung did? Could it possibly be a preamble to a reversal of the original decision? Like how could that double standard stand?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Huh. That's something. They're choosing not to punish someone that did exactly what Blitzchung did? Could it possibly be a preamble to a reversal of the original decision? Like how could that double standard stand?

It was done during an American broadcast, Blitzchung did what he did during an Asian broadcast. I assume that is the main difference.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Every day that goes by just cements Blizzard further as being massive cowards, I would say that they have permanently damaged their 'inclusive' reputation. It is going to be brought up with every new announcement they make in the future.

This is a fuckup of massive proportions.

If you think Blizzard cares about anything more than money, you are kidding yourself. Especially being part of Activision. I knew things were going to get rocky when the merger was announced.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Tweets like this piss me off.

1. The assumption that nobody had any idea what was going on in Hong Kong before this.
2. This is why he made his statement. He wanted to raise awareness. It succeeded.

For real... It's the dual assumption that there's no point to doing anything like this and then 'calling people out' for not being aware before it happened...

Some people really have trouble connecting easy dots.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
like Hobbes says ultimately Blizzard China or Blizzard Irvine, its still Blizzard, they knew what they were getting into when they signed whatever agreements for the China branch to be able to do this. That being said, I can just imagine like, J. Allen Brack waking up the morning after it happened and going "wait what happened?" lol >_<

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
like Hobbes says ultimately Blizzard China or Blizzard Irvine, its still Blizzard, they knew what they were getting into when they signed whatever agreements for the China branch to be able to do this. That being said, I can just imagine like, J. Allen Brack waking up the morning after it happened and going "wait what happened?" lol >_<
I tend too belive what jasson is reporting on this. it was a overeaction that they cant back down from. simply put they overeacted b/c they thought the ccp, might come knocking, but if they back down now, they will come knocking.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm gonna try to visit the Irvine office tomorrow and see if the "every voice matters" sign is still covered up.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, this is one hell of a streisand effect too, isn't it?

Had blizzard just left it alone or even just penalized the player in a normal way for injecting their political stance onto their venue, then blitzchung's words would be fairly inconsequential.

Instead, no, idiots had to 'defend the pride of china' and take away his prize money and double down and now this is shaping up to be the biggest controversy of the year, literally a month before their biggest advertising event of the year.

Great job, assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.