• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Are you working on enabling PS4-Xbox One cross-play in light of Sony loosening up?

Jeff Kaplan: We're super-excited about what's going on with cross-play in all sorts of different games, from Rocket League to Fortnite, and we are constantly in discussions with the first-parties, Microsoft and Sony, to see where they're at and gauge where their temperature is at. It's something that would be very exciting for us to pursue.

Is it something you are pursuing?

Jeff Kaplan: We are definitely having conversations that we're interested in the thought of it.

It's very complicated - from a technology standpoint, a game design standpoint, and from a business relationship standpoint. But we would be excited to tackle all of those challenges; we would love to try. We're gamers; "Why can't my buddies on this system or that system play together?" We sympathise with that, we want to be able to do that too.

More in EGs Interview Here:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-03-the-big-overwatch-blizzcon-interview-with-jeff-kaplan

Mike Ybarra, Xbox Corp VP on Twitter

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross platform stat tracking and avatar unlocking to be announced at the game awards.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard will get everyone's hopes up then announce Overwatch: Mobile Edition instead.
They did say they wanted to make a mobile Overwatch strategy game: https://venturebeat.com/2016/02/13/...lls-why-25-years-of-making-games-isnt-enough/

GamesBeat: Do you think there are strategy opportunities in the mobile space? It certainly seems to be a meeting of two areas you have some interest. You certainly have a great amount of experience in RTS.

Pearce: It's definitely something we want to have a conscious evaluation of. If you look at Overwatch and StarCraft, we have multiple franchises that would potentially lend themselves to that concept.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Should be crossplay with PC.

Crossplay with PC means I'd buy this game again immediately for whatever console supported it.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, I would love this. I have one friend in particular who this would allow me to play with, it'd be really great.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does Fortnite handle PC players playing with console players? Not really related to this, just curious. The use of a mouse would give PC users an unfair advantage.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
How does Fortnite handle PC players playing with console players? Not really related to this, just curious. The use of a mouse would give PC users an unfair advantage.
crossplay puts entire parties in the hardest server, so to speak; you'll never randomly get dropped on a PC server if you're playing on PS4
the only way to play against PC players when playing on console is if you have a PC player in your party

Oct 25, 2017
In Fortnite, players are separated by input.

Tier 1: KB/M
Tier 2: Controller
Tier 3: Touch screen (mobile versions)

You normally only play with those who use the same input method as you. A PS4 player on KB/M will play with others with KB/M whether it's a PC or a PS4. However, if you have a party with multiple control methods, you will go on the lowest tier that is present in your party. If you have a mobile and controller player, you go to controller servers. If you have a keyboard/mouse player, you go to keyboard/mouse servers.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This would be great, Native keyboard and mouse for consoles games should be the way of the future. Pretty much on lock if they do this.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
Xbox execs seem to be begging for that playstation crowd whenever cross-play comes up.
It's welcome, especially in smaller games with a small playerbase. Vr's been great with it.
Does Overwatch actually need it?
Jeff: "But we would be excited to tackle all of those challenges; we would love to try. We're gamers; "Why can't my buddies on this system or that system play together?" We sympathise with that, we want to be able to do that too."

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox execs seem to be begging for that playstation crowd whenever cross-play comes up.
It's welcome, especially in smaller games with a small playerbase. Vr's been great with it.

So you see something like this and automatically assume it's Microsoft 'begging' for players? Rather than the more obvious advantage of it letting players play with their friends who are on other platforms?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this somehow leads to a future where I can get all my progression / skins onto a PC console version, I'll buy a console version.

Oct 29, 2017
Should be crossplay with PC.

Crossplay with PC means I'd buy this game again immediately for whatever console supported it.

Not possible, the console versions are balanced differently to account for controller input and run on two different builds.

Edit: I mean it'd be possible if they have both "versions" in the console version, only match with PC controller users, and switch between the two based on that. But it's a lot of work that I dunno that they'd want to do.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down. Don't have a gaming pc anymore and kinda wanted to get back into Overwatch so I'd grab the PS4 version for sure...well I want it anyway but it never seems to go on sale (digital version)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Throw in cross-progression for all platforms (with cross-play being limited to PS4 & XB1) and I'm down.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Cross-prog with pc might be possible, cross-play highly doubt it as its not 1:1 with console versions

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

if they keep pushing for crossplay like they did for a while, its because they're "begging for players"
if they say nothing, then they're hypocrites because they kept pushing for it while sony didnt allow it but as soon as it couldnt be used as a "marketing tooL" they go silent

man, xbox marketing really cant win on era

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just waiting for the Fortnite beta period to conclude first. Psyonix and Gaijin appear to be making advanced plans for cross-play with Fortnite and War Thunder respectively.

So you see something like this and automatically assume it's Microsoft 'begging' for players? Rather than the more obvious advantage of it letting players play with their friends who are on other platforms?

Can't speak for Francesco but I think it's readily apparent Microsoft executives are vocal about cross-play becuase it's beneficial for their ecosystem. If it were for the 'advantage of gamers' then they would have addressed issues closer to home by now like charging users to play free-to-play games online.

As I said a while ago, you can't boast of being pro gamer while only supporting policies that benefit your ecosystem while simultaneously ignoring gamer issues that don't.

Last edited:

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crossplay for Consoles would be fantastic (even with the ever-present rumors of a Switch version) but I'm pushing more for Cross Progression, having access to all my stuff on a game despite the platform is the big thing to have, especially with Overwatch and Destiny

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Can't speak for Francesco but I think it's readily apparent Microsoft executives are vocal about cross-play becuase it's beneficial for their ecosystem. If it were for the 'advantage of gamers' then they would have addressed issues closer to home by now like charging users to play free-to-play games online.

Thats a pretty big leap of logic you did here

It's like saying sony cant brag they're 'for the players' because they dont offer refunds

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

Why wouldn't Overwatch "need" it? If people have friends across different platforms that play the game, I think it would be great for everyone. Why not make a larger player base even larger? Who loses in this scenario?