• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just got this email and idk, that seems like a pretty high goal to try and achieve. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how many people really want to play this. Think it has a chance of getting there? There's still no date that I've seen mentioned other than 'later this year' which it shows if you register for it on the App Store.

It'll be free so maybe it has a chance.

EVFk9ZB.png

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
They want 30 million pre-registered players? How much does that Horadrim Cosmetic Set worth?

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game still hasn't come out? Wasn't that Blizzcon thing 3 years ago?

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I have absolutely zero interest in mobile games in general and I don't expect this will change that. Blizzard haven't put out a decent game in so many years now so I have no faith in them at all. I'm a big fan of the Diablo franchise so I'm still foolishly hopefully for Diablo 4.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
From what little i played in the beta awhile back i absolutely loved it.

Been waiting awhile for this to come out. Still no idea why they didn't just throw this on PC/Consoles as well. It's not like we aren't already riddled with MTX F2P games on these platforms.

EDIT- also, for the pre-load bonus stuff that's been a thing with mobile games for awhile it's nothing new. It's way more common in east based games especially gacha games.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
It's F2P, btw. So it's not a pre-order.

30m seems like a ton, but between F2P and mobile it's an ambitious target but not entirely unreasonable.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's mobile so… maybe? Basically anyone and play this. I guess they're trying to fish for whales in as big a pond as possible.

Granted, it's free so these are basically non-committal pre-orders. I'm just remembering a game that announced it had like 20 million sign ups and it was actually a big name, well regarded game but immortal has so much baggage behind it I just can't see it. But who knows.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah a lot of mobile games do this pre-register to get bonus stuff. DI isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here... outside of stating they want 30 million pre-registers.

Jan 4, 2018
I think that's definitely possible (I assume it's the same as downloads ultimately ?)

Crash: 21 million in 4 days
Crash Bandicoot: On the Run surpassed 21 million downloads on the 28th of March on its fourth day after its global release, making it the fastest Runner game among the Casual genres to reach this milestone. On its first day, the console-turned-mobile game surpassed 9.1 million downloads.

COD Mobile: 100 million in a week

Call of Duty Mobile Breaks Record with 100 Million Downloads in Its First Week

Call of Duty Mobile has had the best launch week of any mobile game ever, Sensor Tower data shows.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For reference Pokemon Unite had a 5 million preregistrations campaign when it launched on mobile. So 30 million is definitely a relatively high target

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
At least they were savvy enough to choose a massive number that won't look bad if it is missed even by 50%. They don't care about the 30M nearly as much as the millions upon millions they get regardless.

This was pretty smart.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's been over three years since the all-time classic "you guys all have phones, right?" and this still isn't out? Huh.

Crankafoo

Dec 3, 2018
Canada
Pretty sure you still have to like put in credit card info for pre-ordering, this is basically clicking a box saying yes I'm interested. Took two seconds.
For Square's store, yes. But you're really diving into the wrong part of the original comment. It's a simple reply about how we've seen pre-order/registrations for bonus content upon launch before (unsuccessfully in DXMD's case). Just an, "I remember!" moment. Not a criticism or anything in the slightest, just a really cut and dry comment with no intended subtext. All good.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I thought this had launched last year.

Still no controller support or plans for other platforms?
They had some limited support for controllers in the beta but I can't speak to how good (or bad) it was.

edit: controller support is listed in the pre-register app as of now so should be good at launch it appears.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a try if it works well with the Backbone, but I'm not expecting much as an F2P title. The endgame is this genre's whole deal and I imagine I'd rather play a non-F2P ARPG if I start to get addicted.

Nov 12, 2017
i'll bite if it has controller support. Noticed when I pre-registered earlier that its expected to release by June 30th 2022

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think 30m is a stretch. There's no real investment (yet) aside from pressing a button on the store.

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
I am really not sold on Diablo Immortal yet.. I heard the monetization model was kind of gross. Ah well, I'll be waiting awhile on this to see impressions.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Diablo is a big franchise, I don't think this is an impossible feat.

Yeah, Diablo 3 crossed the 30,000,000 mark in 2015 and that was sales. I don't think getting 30,000,000 people to click a button in their respective app store is out of the question at all, especially in regions like China and South Korea where mobile gaming is significantly bigger and more relevant than in the west.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One guy literally erased millions of dollars of profit and ruined the entire narrative surrounding this game at a Blizzcon open mic.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I'm shocked how many people in here don't think it'll hit that. A f2p mobile game with a strong brand following? It should blow past it.