• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In February, Blizzard announced a new Hearthstone e-sports program, called the Masters Tour, to pit the game's best players against each other for a chance to win the acclaim of the internet (and potentially a lot of money). A European leg of the tour is currently happening in Bucharest, and you can catch the action over on Twitch.

But there's a catch: anybody who posts anything pro-Hong Kong seems to be earning an automatic 24-hour chat ban, as reported by Dot Esports. (On Twitch, a chat ban means that you can't post anything in a channel's chat for a certain amount of time; offenses and ban lengths are both specified by moderators.)

That said, the bans seem inconsistent. On Friday afternoon, over at the @PlayHearthstone Twitch channel, the chat filled up with pro-Hong Kong messages that didn't seem to be getting deleted. That might be because the channel was showing a rerun of an earlier match and the moderators weren't around to see what was happening; either way, Blizzard did not reply to a request for comment.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If I hadn't deleted Hearthstone a couple of weeks before this whole thing started...I'd certainly do it now. What a bunch of craven fucks.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You'd think they'd at least TRY to sweep this entire thing under the rug but they just keep going, dun 'ey?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Blizzard gets banned on China(and everywhere else lol) sooo badly, keep digging deeper you fucking idiots.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the poor fucker Blizzard put on stage at Blitzcon gets pelted with eggs.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Surely there's laws that would be against with what Activision is doing to be for a communist country like China.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bet they cancel Blizzcon.

I just wonder what is best case scenario at Blizzcon?

*we're sorry, we love our fans, everyone is included*
*Lich King WoW trailer*
*Diablo 4*
*again we're sorry and also, we are splitting from acti and becoming blizz again*
*sorry*
*tears*
*Overwatch 2 announced for next-gen*

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
They really screwed themselves on this one. They tried to take a "well, we don't want any political statements and to stay focused on the game" which... makes sense in some respect because you wouldn't want maga chuds on there talking about trump or something. However, this incident is so specifically made to backfire because of the event in particular.

Now they technically "have" to go after any statement because they set themselves up for that. Oopsie.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit really.. They keep on digging deeper and deeper. When do some people/companies reach a point where they just HAVE TO SEE that it's enough?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive been spamming this in OW all week. Anytime someone said I'd get banned I just responded that they wouldnt have the balls to do this right now because reddit would have a field day calling them out. Looks like I was wrong. Fuck blizzard

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I bet they cancel Blizzcon.

I think they have too much hubris to do this ahead of time. The higher ups will think they can moderate things at their panels somehow. I think what's more likely is that the streams of Blizzcon get turned off/shut down as things escalate on-site & they realize they're in over their heads, but not beforehand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they have too much hubris to do this ahead of time. The higher ups will think they can moderate things at their panels somehow. I think what's more likely is that the streams of Blizzcon get turned off/shut down as things escalate on-site & they realize they're in over their heads, but not beforehand.

I REALLY doubt they will do those audience Q&A sessions after what happened last year and what is happening with them and China now. If they did do them... god speed to those developers.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Does Blizzard really think that this is just going to go away? The more they dig this hole the more people aren't going to let this go.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
lol, and of course people like you would go and support a company who has connections with a communist country like China. Shame on you.
I mean at this point there's a lot of things you couldnt buy or do because of China. Such as watching that new Terminator movie, play Fortnite , Lol, use videogame consoles / pcs, since most materials are rare earth minerals anyway.

But ye fuck China though, surprised the Western world became its bitch

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as the first guy comes out on stage the crowd is going to go balistic.
Its gonna be a spectacle for the ages.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Blizzard has absolutely imploded. Good lord. Growing up in the 90s, Blizzard was always famous as the last word in integrity and the highest quality standards. They've really torpedoed everything they once stood for, it's incredible.