• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They could have just said no, but after that April fool's joke question, who can blame them. In a way, the PC question can be interpreted as disrespectful also. They were announcing a mobile exclusive game and one of the question is is it coming to PC's?

It's a Q&A with fans who are primarily PC players who this game isn't necessarily for. I think it's quite obvious what would happen really.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean they are completely allowed to make a diablo mobile game and it makes sense but it likely shouldnt be the biggest reveal at your own conference.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of asking if the game was an April fool's joke, why not ask about Diablo 4? Regardless if a D4 question was already asked, the joke question was clearly plain disrespectful.
Anyone with enough common sense would've known not to just announce this. No news would've been better. The disrespectful part was announcing this cheap reskin of a Chinese mobile game as a Diablo title at one of the biggest events Blizzard has. This is something that should've been a side thing or just have randomly appear on Google Play one day.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah who could it have been? Maybe it was the poster I was responding to. But no that seems unlikely doesnt it?

Is this some kind of game to you where you want to be as snide and sarcastic as possible? you're not impressing or convincing anyone of anything so its just a waste of time and energy.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They could have just said no, but after that April fool's joke question, who can blame them. In a way, the PC question can be interpreted as disrespectful also. They were announcing a mobile exclusive game and one of the question is is it coming to PC's?

Blizzard is primarily a PC dev, Blizzcon is primarily attended by PC players. The guy asking about it being released for PC wasn't disrespectful, he genuinely wanted to give that game a shot without being tethered to mobile. I think he even mentions that he's a what they call MVP, so a community member who is contributing so much that they are sort of community leaders (at least that is my understanding), so it's obvious he's a huge fan of Blizzard and Diablo in particular.

And he is the one being disrespectful being told that "what, don't y'all got phones anyway lawl"?

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they are completely allowed to make a diablo mobile game and it makes sense but it likely shouldnt be the biggest reveal at your own conference.
Yeah. Monetarily this makes so much sense for them and it'll be successful.

Don't make it the end. Jesus ending with WC3 would have been a much better idea.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
You didnt answer the question. I also dont see how one can consider the level of booing "open hostility", open disappointment sure but hostility is a stretch.

They seemed like purely rhetorical questions.

I find booing at a live industry event to be in poor taste. The people who were involved with the project are literally in the same building as the audience. Like I said earlier, save it for social media. You don't see people booing or portbegging at D23 or SDCC panels.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most people that are angry did not go to Blizzcon, I assume most of the rage has been via word of mouth spreading.
That's bs. I buy a virtual ticket every year hoping for Diablo news. Last year was better than this and that was pretty much nothing. This was probably the worst BlizzCon for Diablo fans and I can promise you that people in that audience are just as disappointed as I am.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what they expected. They made a Diablo game that, apart from aesthetics, doesn't seem like a Diablo game. They should have just made it with a WoW theme.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Why can't a mobile game be a big release? Why can't a mobile game be a great game?

Because it is worse than what we have. It has less depth (only 4 active skills). It has less mechanics (no mana/resource). The controls and inputs allow for less options and strategy for an action-based game(touch screen, ofc). Gear does not even change your appearance. Plus, it's not even being made BY Blizzard. Why would I be excited for a game announced at fucking Blizzcon that's not made by the studio hosting the event?

The new Diablo announcement is a bizarre half-game compared to even Diablo 3, which has plenty to improve upon as is and was already VERY simplified and streamlined to the point of basically being a party game (which I still enjoy, mind you).

I knew Diablo 4 wasn't going to be there but good god this announcement is a bad time, and Blizzcon is not where you announce this. Hearthstone is one of the most mobile friendly games I can imagine and even it has a huge PC presence and started on PC.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo did it similarly with the Animal Crossing tease after they announced Isabel for Smash.

Blizzard was just really terrible at reading the room here. Gathering all your hardcore fans for a big reveal from their

favorite franchise, only to learn that it isn't targeting them can't go over well.

If only Blizard didn't have an example of the same exact thing happening

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Will never understand people defending huge companies like they're the mom and pop store on the corner. Will never understand how every single art form in the world is subject to critique, critiques that can easy be hurled from dozens of platforms on a daily basis, but for some it's " Won't someone please think of the dev's" / " fukn Gamers miRite??"

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop defending this. It is a straight up cash grab re-skin of NetEase's Endless of God with a little Diablo Paint. This is not a labor of love by Blizzard and criticism is warranted.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The April fools joke question was perfect, it encapsulates the fan's reaction without you know, devolving into swears, and or worse.

That's a hostile question, but it's the kind of hostile that makes a great soundbyte. I don't think it's out of line at all. Trying to take the question literally also misses the point. The question was obviously rhetorical.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is doing a great job of changing the perception that neerds are awful when they don't get exactly what they want...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Will never understand people defending huge companies like they're the mom and pop store on the corner. Will never understand how every single art form in the world is subject to critique, critiques that can easy be hurled from dozens of platforms on a daily basis, but for some it's " Won't someone please think of the dev's" / " fukn Gamers miRite??"
Play it first critique it then, absolutely fine. "I don't want to try it, give me something else" isn't critique. It's not just games either. If I would make a thread "Disney, stop making Marvel movies those don't interest me". People would tell me to shut the fuck up and just watch something else that does interest me.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with enough common sense would've known not to just announce this. No news would've been better. The disrespectful part was announcing this cheap reskin of a Chinese mobile game as a Diablo title at one of the biggest events Blizzard has. This is something that should've been a side thing or just have randomly appear on Google Play one day.

But this is a big announcement. It goes to show that Blizzard is licensing out their IP's, in this case Diablo, to devs of other platforms.

It's a Q&A with fans who are primarily PC players who this game isn't necessarily for. I think it's quite obvious what would happen really.

Blizzard is primarily a PC dev, Blizzcon is primarily attended by PC players. The guy asking about it being released for PC wasn't disrespectful, he genuinely wanted to give that game a shot without being tethered to mobile. I think he even mentions that he's a what they call MVP, so a community member who is contributing so much that they are sort of community leaders (at least that is my understanding), so it's obvious he's a huge fan of Blizzard and Diablo in particular.

And he is the one being disrespectful being told that "what, don't y'all got phones anyway lawl"?

I can't argue with that. It should have just ended with a no, but like I said, that response was probably preempted by the April fool's joke question.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard misread the room in typical Blizz fashion. Death threats, petitions to cancel the game, dev harassment on Twitter isn't fine, but booing and downvoting is absolutely fair game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

He wasn't told that. He was told that it's Android and iOS without any plans of PC at the moment. The booing crowd was asked that you have phones right?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
But this is a big announcement. It goes to show that Blizzard is licensing out their IP's, in this case Diablo, to devs of other platforms.

I can't argue with that. It should have just ended with a no, but like I said, that response was probably preempted by the April fool's joke question.
Naw, the April Fool's joke wasn't even asked yet. There is a video on Youtube for the Q & A and the April Joke question was one of the last questions while asking if it would be on pc was one of the first questions.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Play it first critique it then, absolutely fine. "I don't want to try it, give me something else" isn't critique. It's not just games either. If I would make a thread "Disney, stop making Marvel movies those don't interest me". People would tell me to shut the fuck up and just watch something else that does interest me.

That's quite a bit different from a company/studio taking an undesired direction with an existing property people loved, and there is precedence for fans to at least be partially right. The RMHA was a fiasco for Diablo 3 and Blizzard eventually got rid of it and retooled a ton of the game towards fan feedback, which improved it hugely. It would also be fair to say that series fans of Devil May Cry weren't interested in a reboot like DmC compared to a potential DMC5, as proven by DmC selling worse than DMC4 and Capcom later opting for a successor to DMC4 instead of DmC2. Even decisions more genuinely divisive like RE7 being first person, in spite of it being quite successful, was walked back on slightly with the DLC having third person cut-scenes and the next main game, RE2make, being fully third person like prior games.

Fans obviously do not always know best, but your comparison here is ridiculous. Are Diablo fans just supposed shut the fuck up and go play games from other series now?

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, the April Fool's joke wasn't even asked yet. There is a video on Youtube for the Q & A and the April Joke question was one of the last questions while asking if it would be on pc was one of the first questions.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. As I've said before, it should have just ended with a no.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
39f1d73f2a7b11050584e2ea339db181.gif

full
I actually think he said "no one plays FPS like they use to on M/KB" something along those lines, but he meant it as in games are designed around Controllers, which is true for most AAA games, just like most people own Phones, still, it's tone deaf to say things like that to the wrong audience.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That's quite a bit different from a company/studio taking an undesired direction with an existing property people loved, and there is precedence for fans to at least be partially right. The RMHA was a fiasco for Diablo 3 and Blizzard eventually got rid of it and retooled a ton of the game towards fan feedback, which improved it hugely. It would also be fair to say that series fans of Devil May Cry weren't interested in a reboot like DmC compared to a potential DMC5, as proven by DmC selling worse than DMC4 and Capcom opting for a successor to DMC4 instead of DMC5. Even decisions more genuinely divisive like RE7 being first person, in spite of it being quite successful, was walked back on slightly with the DLC having third person cut-scenes and the next main game, RE2make, being fully third person like prior games.

Fans obviously do not always know best, but your comparison here is ridiculous. Are Diablo fans just supposed shut the fuck up and go play games from other series now?
Diablo fans are supposed to wait for the next mainline game that is coming. What else can they do, play it during development? I guess Blizzard could start doing early access if people really want it. And I don't understand why spinoffs are considered some undesired direction. Uncharted has had handheld spinoffs, gears of war has PC exclusive tactics spinoff coming, also that one game with those big headed figures. Marvel/Disney has mobile games. Hasn't hurt the mainline products to my knowledge.
I actually think he said "no one plays FPS like they use to on M/KB" something along those lines, but he meant it as in games are designed around Controllers, which is true for most AAA games, just like most people own Phones, still, it's tone deaf to say things like that to the wrong audience.
Ah I see, not familiar with the original quote. But obviously people play on m/kb, even Xbox is starting to officially support it. So it's not even just a PC thing. But that's not for this thread.

Last edited:

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
A couple of things I'd like to chime in with...

1. Is it a gacha game? I haven't gotten a chance to read up on it or watch the video due to work. I'll probably skip it anyway, due to it being a mobile title.

2. Did everyone suddenly forget the full name of the company? It doesn't excuse this being a mobile game, but I mean...Activision bro.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I would not pay for it even if you held me at gunpoint. Its literally a zero effort reskin. AAA properies are getting slaughtered by mobile shovelware. LOL at people comparing it to the R* situation.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
2. Did everyone suddenly forget the full name of the company? It doesn't excuse this being a mobile game, but I mean...Activision bro.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes so Activision may have influenced this. David Brevik said a little while ago that Activision may be trying to gain more and more influence in Blizzard (obviously he's kind of guessing as he hasn't worked at Blizzard in a long time).

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Diablo fans are supposed to wait for the next mainline game that is coming. What else can they do, play it during development? I guess Blizzard could start doing early access if people really want it.

The next mainline game that Blizzard hasn't literally acknowledged? All we have to go on are rumors and Blizzard being extremely vague. Confirming/teasing Diablo 4 would have been a great way to make this go a lot more smoothly, and maybe even generate some actual excitement for Immortal. Look at how successful FO Shelter was and how much buzz it got? And that's largely due to the goodwill attachment it had to go with the excitement for Fallout 4. Elder Scrolls Blades didn't get the same level of attention or love, but the confirmation of ES6 at least kept people mildly neutral/curious about it, especially since THAT is at least coming to console and PC. Also, your comparison with Gears and Uncharted is way off base since Gears POP/Tactics was announced alongside Gears 5, and there was never any 6+ year gap between Uncharted sequels where the only announcements we got were a phone-only spin off.

It's been over six and half years since Diablo 3 came out. I truly don't think it's unreasonable for Blizzard's major Diablo announcement at this point to be Diablo 4, or at least SOME Diablo project like a remake (points at Warcraft 3) that's playable on PC/maybe console.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness I have no emotional attachment to the Diablo series, because this announcement must feel like a slap in the face to any fan. There's a reason games like TESVI at least get teased alongside the mobile knock-off version nobody asked for except some corporate exec pondering their next stock bonus.

If I didn't already understand how arrogant and outright clueless Blizzard is after following Overwatch, I'd almost be surprised at the situation.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Sorry if this has already been answered, but what if Diablo: Immortal is D4? Does Blizzard really have the resources to create two Diablo titles in tandem?