• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The artwork makes me think it might be a Diablo 1 remake?

It's not the kind of "Leah"-Diablo-hybrid.
Neither do we see a big red soulstone in its forehead.

It's very reminiscent of the original Diablo designs.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
So in terms of Diablo lore (for whatever that's worth) how exactly is old D1/D2 Diablo supposed to be able to show up again? Did they manage to escape from the black soulstone and just reincarnate again? Basically making everything we did in D1-D3 completely pointless?

I wonder if instead this might be a reboot.
Malthael breaks the Black Soulstone to empower himself, potentially releasing all the Evils held within, Diablo included. They actually set up a lot of stuff to work with in the ending of ROS - Nephalem going against the angels maybe, Evils being released, Imperius being an ass to Nephalem and humanity in general. lots of conflict to explore.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn between loving Diablo and Diablo 2 and having a huge chunk of my interest in the series wash away with how lame 3 was. The next Diablo is obviously going to be some sort of GaaS thing so if they could only try to capture the style of the original more (and somehow manage to fix how dumb Diablo 3 was) I would probably be into this. As is, I'm watching from a distance.

Will probably watch that stupid TV show, though. And then get mad when its more D3 than D2 or Diablo.

EDIT: Also, any script for this should just get rid of the word Nephilim in its entirety.

Last edited:

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
The Diablo 3 story was a mistake. Can't wait to see how the unfuck everything, assuming they do.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The diablo game I used to know is pretty much death...

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have high hopes for a new Diablo with Blizzard in its current state.

Diablo I and II are one of my all time favorite games.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They should hire Ghost to play BlizzCon and license Yero Zero for Diablo 4.

In fact, call it Diablo 4: Year Zero and let Ghost play the song during the reveal.

Also, they should put Cardinal Copia and Papa Emeritus in the game as NPCs.

You got Belial, Azmodius, Beelzebub, Satan and Lucifier in the game as bosses - straight out of the song.

It would be perfect.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Why did I follow them? I don't know... Why do things happen as they do in dreams. All I know is that when he beckoned, I had to follow him. from that moment we traveled together east, always in to the east.

100% in, but I'm praying it's more Diablo 1/2 and less Diablo 3. Cut the 'you're a magical super hero' nonsense and get back to the bleak and intriguing world where the player character exists to let you view the weird and wonderful stuff around you.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i remember there was this (4chan ?) rumor that the next diablo is going to be a spin off that kind of plays like dark souls. i'd totally be up for that if they are also working on a diablo 4

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Malthael breaks the Black Soulstone to empower himself, potentially releasing all the Evils held within, Diablo included. They actually set up a lot of stuff to work with in the ending of ROS - Nephalem going against the angels maybe, Evils being released, Imperius being an ass to Nephalem and humanity in general. lots of conflict to explore.
Nobody knows what happened to the Prime Evils after Malthael died.

I read long time ago speculation saying that is possible that the MC character is the host for the Prime Evils after the events of RoS. Similar to Diablo to Diablo II events.

I still bet that Reign of Terror is a Diablo I remake.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I could see it being the subtitle of the Netflix show, but as there's like a 99.9% chance of there being some Diablo game reveal, game title might be more likely.

"Reign of Terror" would definitely fit a sort of Diablo 1/2 HD remake or collection, and since the specific Diablo art they are using looks like that style of Diablo maybe that's what we are getting.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I seriously doubt they would let any official art of Diablo the character slip before the next game is revealed. So I'm gonna assume that art isn't from the next game.

And since the Netflix show basically just went into the writing phase I doubt they have a title. So yeah D1/D2 HD seems fairly likely to me.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe we could get it added to the OP that the Netflix series has only just been green-lit?
It's not likely that we're getting that show anytime soon.

In that regard it is also highly unlikely that they're going to sell swag to promote said show.

It's a lot more likely that it's a D1 or D2 remake, or a new DLC pack for Diablo 3.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm expecting a cross platform (ideally), persistent online game. A Diablo MMORPG is money in the bank for them and long overdue. Also a nice departure from WoW, while remaining true to the studio's vision.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
If it is a new Diablo game, I hope we revisit Lut Gholein. I always liked that place. Caldeum in D3 wasn't nearly as iconic.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's pretty much wide open at this point.

Malthael blew up the mega soulstone and let all seven demon lords out at the end of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls.

Still bitter about Cain mostly.

I just want them to drop the general tone and style of Diablo 3. Made everything feel goofy like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Are Leah/femDiablo gone for good or what? I can't remember.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Still bitter about Cain mostly.

I just want them to drop the general tone and style of Diablo 3. Made everything feel goofy like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Are Leah/femDiablo gone for good or what? I can't remember.
The idea was that Diablo's appearance was based upon whoever's body he converted into being his own, but this one is probably just what he shows up like when he isn't converting anyone, since he doesn't need to anymore after being freed from the soulstones.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Huh, never seen it in game, only remember that at the end of the main campaign Tyrael is all about that angel stuff. Then in ROS he is basically a mentor figure. Need to read more on that.

Well I know Malthael was the original angel of wisdom, so I thought Tyrael taking his place after Malthael gets got would make sense. But yeah it doesn't really matter either way, I'm sure he'll be up to some new shenanigans in the new game.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That one was always... strange, and they kinda throw that thing with being part of the Angiris away in ROS.
It doesn't even make sense how Tyrael became human. Humans were born from angels and demons, not the other way around. Tyrael was never human before as far as I know Diablo lore.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even make sense how Tyrael became human. Humans were born from angels and demons, not the other way around. Tyrael was never human before as far as I know Diablo lore.

"No! I must kill the demons" Tyrael shouted
The Angels said "No, Tyrael. You are the demons"
And then Tyrael was a human.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
He is mortal, not human. Big distinction I think. Although considering Blizzard themselves realised what a clusterfuck was the main story, they tried to get away from it as much as possible, and basically rewritten large parts of what made no sense.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see Diablo actually looks like Diablo in that art....

yikes
latest

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
He is mortal, not human. Big distinction I think. Although considering Blizzard themselves realised what a clusterfuck was the main story, they tried to get away from it as much as possible, and basically rewritten large parts of what made no sense.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Remember when Tyrael got hungry? LOL

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved feminine, overdesigned D3 Diablo. Probably one of the few things I liked from that game's story.

It's a shame Leah had to die for it though, I liked her as the new face of the series.
I didn't mind her, but I didn't like that Diablo at all. I prefer Diablo looking beast-like and swole as fuck haha.