• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this was released on Friday in the evening is so telling - they've probably been sitting on this statement for days waiting for right now to drop it. How fucking shitty.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty weak statement. Not an apology; reduced punishment is less extreme but still pretty draconian. A six month ban is functionally identical to a one year ban; none of the casters involved are coming back to Hearthstone.

Also, throwing this little gem in the middle completely undercut Blizzard's credibility:

I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

I don't see this statement satisfying very many people. Especially after a full business week or finger in ears hoping the whole thing would just blow over.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm real happy he is getting the money he EARNED. And if your decision wasn't based on Chinese interests you wouldn't have banned him for a fuckin year and took his hard earned money! 1 step forward 3 steps back fuck you Blizzard.
Screw them for doing this in the first place, restoring the prize money was the least they needed to do. Nothing is really forgiven here, it's just a slightly less awful stance than before.

I'm going to keep posting this as it seems to be forgotten or not known.

once blitz money got rescinded another gaming company already said they would cover everything he lost. Again blizzard restoring his money means nothing other then being used as a PR stunt. Blitz was getting his money he deserved either way.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
is the delete bnet account page down?

https://battle.net/support/en/help/wf/services/1328/1361

the support page is there, but the create request link is dead
Working for me:
Dt7Q2dL.png

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm going to keep posting this as it seems to be forgotten or not known.

once blitz money got rescinded another gaming company already said they would cover everything he lost. Again blizzard restoring his money means nothing other then being used as a PR stunt. Blitz was getting his money he deserved either way.
Oh well shit! Then never mind just fuck blizzard!

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And don't let us all forget, that Activision owns that company.
They have the say in all of this, especially after Mike isn't there anymore.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, because of videos like the ones posted a page back where Blizzard spoke up directly against Gamergate while it was happening as well as their efforts through diversity throughout their workforce and their games. They've lost all the good will that they've garnered for me personally, but I'm certainly not going to assume that every one of these situations for other companies will go like this as going through life with that kind of cynical attitude just feels defeatist.
I wouldn't really call it being defeatist, as my suggestion is not that we should just accept that companies will be shady. My suggestion is that we need to understand that the solution is much more complicated. In fact, I would consider it the opposite of being defeatist as it tries to find a broader reasoning for actions like these in order to try to form a more cohesive strategy.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What a fucking weak response, they look worse now than they did whilst they stayed silent. Sad to see what blizzard has become.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And don't let us all forget, that Activision owns that company.
They have the say in all of this, especially after Mike isn't there anymore.
Yeah, I'm 99% sure that Activision had a say in this aswell and we shouldn't let them off the hook either. Give them just as much heat as we're giving Blizzard

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Edit: TIMEZONE THING IS NOT TRUE. Twitter poster made a tweet stating a correction. Everything else tho sounds plausible to me.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Well, because of videos like the ones posted a page back where Blizzard spoke up directly against Gamergate while it was happening as well as their efforts through diversity throughout their workforce and their games. They've lost all the good will that they've garnered for me personally, but I'm certainly not going to assume that every one of these situations for other companies will go like this as going through life with that kind of cynical attitude just feels defeatist.

What did they possibly have to lose by speaking against Gamergate? Talk about low-hanging fruit. They had the full force of the video games media (and mainstream media outside of fringe right-wing sources) behind them. Diversity is all well and good and I appreciate the LGBT characters in games like OW (even if I think they're a bit of a hackjob on occasion) but, again, what do they have to lose?

Be cynical about this shit, it's a healthy outlook. Companies are not your friend.

I had a similar thought. Hence what I said about the weird phrasing in the statement.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

I honestly can't fucking believe he had the balls to include this bit of blatant falsehood. I went from chilling on a Friday to angry as fuck from the sheer audacity.

I wonder who mandated, "You better include that we had nothing to do with this mess."

Not stealing his money is not to be applauded.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I hope this anger keeps festering. I want Blizzcon to be wall-to-wall with angry protesters.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one is going to believe this bullshit statement. It took them almost a week to come up with this?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did they possibly have to lose by speaking against Gamergate? Talk about low-hanging fruit. They had the full force of the video games media (and mainstream media outside of fringe right-wing sources) behind them. Diversity is all well and good and I appreciate the LGBT characters in games like OW (even if I think they're a bit of a hackjob on occasion) but, again, what do they have to lose?

Be cynical about this shit, it's a healthy outlook. Companies are not your friend.
Good post. Companies are only woke when it doesn't actually cost them anything.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
A lot of times for bad news, companies post it on Friday at the end of the day to avoid stock value falling.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
would like to see more analysis but it isn't the craziest thing ever. it's probably easier to have someone intimately familiar with what the chinese government needs to hear twist the text to also fit a western narrative than it would be the other way around

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I buy all of that thread, but the format of the post itself DID stand out as incredibly awkward and not how a statement like that would be written at all, the entire time.

data

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even an apology.

They didn't address the issue.

The player is still banned when they should not be.

The prize money was never the thing. If it's not affected by China, say free hong Kong as well Blizzard. You won't cause you're sellouts

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
1. Not enough
2. This is not an apology
3. Too late
4. They are outright lying in this statement

I am personally done with Activision Blizzard for this as well as thier persistent & heightening anti-consumerism with regards to predatory monetisation.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What they did is unforgiveable tbh. Nothing they can do to make up for it. Basically treason.