• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off, Blizzard. You absolutely spineless cowards.

I was hoping, really hoping you'd have unfucked this incredibly fucked situation. But then you went ahead and made this obvious bullshit statement?

I wanted to believe you'd end up doing the right thing. Well I guess that's egg on my face for having any shred of hope.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wtf? I'm not characterizing him as someone who would take the money and keep quiet. Why would you think that? I'm speculating as to the reasoning of Blizzard, and if Blitzchung would choose to reject the money to stick to his principles.

My apologies if your intention was to not say that. The way it is worded can be confusing.

Blizzard is giving it back to try and seem like they are the good guys who can play both sides.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait for the Free Hong Kong chant during the Blizzcon opening ceremony.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
wtf? I'm not characterizing him as someone who would take the money and keep quiet. Why would you think that? I'm speculating as to the reasoning of Blizzard, and if Blitzchung would choose to reject the money to stick to his principles.
Odd to equate taking the money which he rightfully won with losing any principles though. He can choose to take the money which is rightfully his, or reject it if he doesn't want it. Wouldn't take anything away from his principles.

Oct 30, 2017
How stupid does Blizzard think people are? It was obvious from the beginning this was all because of the company's relationship with China. Whipping out the ToS means fuck all. Man fuck this company 3000.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
This definitely is not going far enough. The casters do not deserve to be suspended at all and neither does Blitzchung. This whole thing is such a bad look for them, and all in the name of money too.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
An american company supporting an oppresive regime?

That has totally never happened before.
Honestly I've been thinking about how we buy Chinese products despite their apparent human rights abuses. The world is a shitty place but attacking fundamental free speech (regardless of the fact they don't believe in it) and their horrible abuse toward actual minorities (Uighers) and manufactured minorities (pro communist Han Chinese and Chinese who aren't granted citizenship because their birth exceeded state mandated 1 child policy pre2015 and the current 2 child policy and they aren't able to pay the fines incurred by their parents) makes me think we need a national policy to get our cheap goods from other countries.

Plenty of other countries are trying to compete with China over there but they need boosts in infrastructure they can't easily afford. Ofcourse we should also find ways to diversify employment in our own home countries but not everyone cares about that and now that we have gotten used to prices being a certain way it is hard to give that up.

May 26, 2018
Odd to equate taking the money which he rightfully won with losing any principles though.

Because they haven't gotten rid of his punishment for having done nothing wrong, but they're still paying him. It seems dishonest from Blizzard, and I wonder if blitzchung would take it that way too.

People here keep reading into what I'm saying as if I'm putting blitzchung down and I'm not at all.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Complete bullshit statement that not only contradicts itself but also manages to make their initial decision all the more blatantly horrible.

Like they really expect us to believe they would have done the same if someone had talked about some other issue NOT involving China? Riiiight. Guess that's why they dropped this weak shit late on a Friday, because they knew it was crap.

Fuck Blizzard. Stay losing, you greedy cowards.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
SHOULD BE NO SUSPENSION

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!!!

#FreeHongKong!!!

keep this rolling!

do not give in! Let this shit roll into blizzcon!!!

that statement makes the situation worse, what a joke

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Fuck off, Blizzard. You absolutely spineless cowards.

I was hoping, really hoping you'd have unfucked this incredibly fucked situation. But then you went ahead and made this obvious bullshit statement?

I wanted to believe you'd end up doing the right thing. Well I guess that's egg on my face for having any shred of hope.

Always remember this: All devs are not to be trusted. And always assume their decisions and actions with malicious intent

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"
The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

We have these rules to keep the focus on the game and on the tournament to the benefit of a global audience, and that was the only consideration in the actions we took.

If this had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way, we would have felt and acted the same."

Calling bullshit here. Also them not rescinding the punishment for the casters 100% is laughable.

Oct 30, 2017
Also if they rescinded all suspensions it would be impossible for them to use "NOT GYNA" as an excuse. The reduced suspension is a fucking facade.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
What a fucking awful statement. If he didn't get banned for the content of the message then what did he get banned for???

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Totally expected a half measure and I got a half measure. Anyone who isn't legally stupid knows this happened because of CCP censorship.
This part is especially stupid:

"The specific views expressed by Blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision."

Uh-huh. It's an incredibly meek response. They're still punishing everyone involved (the casters especially) and putting them all out of a job for six months. It also ignores the fact that the company didn't treat that American University team the same way, and that Blizzard China directly spoke out about how they're protecting the integrity of their homeland?

Ultimately, what was at stake wasn't the material cost of the punishment; it was the principle. They're hypocritical. What's worse, this has been dumped this on a Friday night when people will not pay attention.

Ultimately, they are basically confirming that the company is "willing" (forced) to cave to the CCP's interests.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't... didn't the Chinese Blizzard rep literally say the ban was for bringing dishonor to China?

China totally had something to do with this. Nobody believes it didn't. Nobody.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Because they haven't gotten rid of his punishment for having done nothing wrong, but they're still paying him. It seems dishonest from Blizzard, and I wonder if blitzchung would take it that way too.

People here keep reading into what I'm saying as if I'm putting blitzchung down and I'm not at all.
Everyone can see Blizzard is dishonest, but I guess the point here is that we should be careful not to make it seem like rejecting the money is the "right" thing to do. Esport players do this for a living, and the money might not be insignificant to them. Some can afford to reject it, some might actually need it. You can take the money and still tell Blizzard to piss off because the money is earned. Hope that makes more sense!

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck off Blizzard.

Restoring prize money was the only correct thing in that entire vapid excuse of a statement.

And the fact that they dropped it after 5 PM on a Friday is the most basic "Let's bury this" shit. Totally transparent.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
xnA5Cb.gif

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not support any company that continues to appease the Chinese government through bullying and censorship.

RIP my Diablo 4 hype

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Blizzard can double fuck themselves after this statement.

Doubling down on suspensions, trying to justify this shit as apolitical after the Blizzard China statement...

It's lies, all of it.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Blizzcon is going to be interesting. I wonder which developers will be the sacrificial lambs....

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard really thought they could walk this kid for his justly earned money and shit would be sweet lmaoooooooo

This company is really dumb as fuck.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I'd have more respect for Blizzard if they just straight up said we did this because China makes us a lot of money.

If you want to support Hong Kong with a profile pic change
Oct 25, 2017
Just on a meta note, Hobbes — I appreciate the gesture of support that is the Hong Kong bauhinia flag in the thread banner (and others, in your avatars), but you should know that the Hong Kong movement prefers the flag in black, and ideally a variant without the stars, like so.

1599px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong_%28black_and_white%3B_variant_3%29.svg.png

Also particular to the current protest movement is a variant with wilted petals.

This is to distinguish the movement from the Beijing-controlled local government that is authorizing the use of excessive force against the demonstrators, since the red colour scheme and the stars are a symbol of Chinese control. The black flag gained widespread support this summer, as it's a purely domestic creation, taking the place of the colonial Blue Ensign to avoid the distraction of accusations that this movement is about a reversion to British rule or propelled by foreign interference.