• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Bobby Kotick and Acti-Blizzard by the way.

With that out of the way, an interesting rumor started

Hey all, im in a discord with a group of web developers and we noticed the Xbox website received a big refresh the other day, combing through some of the websites source code someone in the group came across this interesting piece;

c0ZqM.png

Seems to be base code to add World of Warcraft Complete Editon as a listing to the "upcoming games" section on 9th December.

Weve all seen some odd things be added in source code before that never came to be anything, but i feel like the name "complete edition" meaning an entirely new product, paired with it apparentlybeing added on the same date as the Game Awards is worth pointing out atleast. So... Take with a grain of salt for now.

Not the best of timings, that's for sure. But would a console version of WoW be able to "save" it?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Would be very dissapointed in Keighley if he let this happen, especially after the past week.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Bobby Kotick and Acti-Blizzard by the way.

With that out of the way, an interesting rumor started

Not the best of timings, that's for sure. But would a console version of WoW be able to "save" it?

What does it mean to "save" it? When the next expansion on PC comes out it will once again be the most subscribed / best selling MMO.

This is probably true, but I have no idea whether it would be cross-play or simplified to work on a controller and without mods. This isn't FF14-- player UIs and keybinds are totally wild, especially for serious PvP.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Can they announce a WoW expansion that fires Bobby Kotick and throws him in jail, and gets a third party of the Blizzard employees' choice to investigate the company?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Would be nuts if this happened, I remember this being talked about on podcasts since the PS360 days. Well they certainly need a user boost and this is the best way to make it happen.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I would be down for this, was always interested in trying WoW but just never did for whatever reason.

Oct 25, 2017
We know they had "multiple" games with the Warcraft IP coming, so this is very likely true. We just have no idea what it is other than some type of console version.

Doubt this is even possible

What could help to save it is removing the sub, but older players would be so pissed

I don't think removing the sub for what is, on average, the most subscribed online game, makes much sense. People act like it is in totally dire straights when it is still tremendously popular.

A single player RPG set in WoW? Fuck I'd be in. Not the best moment for it from both ethical and artistic moment, tho.

Doing something like the DQX-- Single Player Edition would be a really great experience.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A keyboard and mouse would almost be mandatory to play. I don't see how they make this work.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it would work honestly. Unless it's not mixed with the current game. I just don't see it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Activision.

Evem if the stuff hadnt come out i still wouldnt play it

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played in the longest time but would love to see how this would even be possible with the 100 icons possible on your screen. I had soo many macros made to be able to raid lol

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to port it to consoles. Would explain why they put a good amount of effort into the new player experience with the last expansion though.

I'm still not sure how it would actually play. Final Fantasy XIV makes it work somehow (I haven't played it) so it must be possible.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to port it to consoles. Would explain why they put a good amount of effort into the new player experience with the last expansion though.

I'm still not sure how it would actually play though. Final Fantasy XIV makes it work somehow though (I haven't played it) so it must be possible.

FF14 doesn't allow UI mods, and keeps the number of skills given to the player relatively low so it fits within the UI confines of switching between different sets of DPAD+Face Button layouts with (I think) the shoulder buttons. My understanding is that trying to keep the endgame configuration manageable has left a bunch of the Jobs kind of uninteresting for leveling because you get stuff gated at too slow of a rate.

With the Shadowlands redesign to leveling, you get a level and new skill / talent / ability every 15~30 minutes.

Anything to save Kotick's ass.

This is probably something they've been working on for, like, 5+ years. This has virtually nothing to do with trying to save Kotick.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they ditch that sub, because it's DOA otherwise

Can't imagine there is any demand for this regardless. Maybe should have tried this in like 2014 or something

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably something they've been working on for, like, 5+ years. This has virtually nothing to do with trying to save Kotick.
For sure, this must have taken years. But also this could be rushed or is just being announced to distract the public from recent Kotick's news. This isn't the first time ActiBlizz has done it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think removing the sub for what is, on average, the most subscribed online game, makes much sense. People act like it is in totally dire straights when it is still tremendously popular.

It's doing well relative to other MMOs, which is to say it's still at the top of a declining genre, with its one real competitor gaining serious ground as WoW itself slides downward.

It is not doing well relative to its own past performance; it is likely at its lowest point ever, by a wide margin. Yes, there'll undoubtedly be some amount of subscriber boom whenever a new expansion is released, but there's a reason those booms quickly die off in just a couple months now, whereas WoW used to retain several times the amount of subscribers than it does today.

Whether this qualifies as "dire straits" is of course subjective, but I would say it does, especially given the context of the company as a whole. Probably not to investors, because WoW's ludicrous micro-transactions allow it to be more profitable now at its subscriber low than at its subscriber peak.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
FF14 doesn't let the user set up macros, allow UI mods, and keeps the number of skills given to the player relatively low so it fits within the UI confines of switching between different sets of DPAD+Face Button layouts with (I think) the shoulder buttons. My understanding is that trying to keep the endgame configuration manageable has left a bunch of the Jobs kind of uninteresting for leveling because you get stuff gated at too slow of a rate.

With the Shadowlands redesign to leveling, you get a level and new skill / talent / ability every 15~30 minutes.

Just wanted to point out that some of the things said here are correct, but FF14 definitely lets you use macros and it "doesn't allow" (see the quotes) the use of mods in general, but it lets you tinker with the UI as much as you want to, both in size and placement.

Don't really have an opinion on the uninteresting for leveling stuff since that's different for each job.

tubeze9ka9n51.gif

www.youtube.com

How to make a Clean HUD/Layout in FFXIV

After revisiting and reworking my whole UI/Interface setup last week, I thought it is time to share with you, the changes and ideas, that lead to this final ...

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Exciting stuff, hopefully it has full crossplay and M/KB support. Hopefully this is true.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What does it mean to "save" it? When the next expansion on PC comes out it will once again be the most subscribed / best selling MMO.

This is probably true, but I have no idea whether it would be cross-play or simplified to work on a controller and without mods. This isn't FF14-- player UIs and keybinds are totally wild, especially for serious PvP.
When I played WoW last in Shadowlands, like around launch, I played a LOT with a controller because I could play it from my couch comfortably.

Honestly it's not that hard with the ConsolePort addon, and I'd imagine that the console version of the game is going to be very similar.

I don't know if I'll get this, with how the company has gone... hopefully they can do the right thing, but...

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
This is why nothing will ever get done at Activision. They know they can just release their shit on another platform or put out a remaster and everybody will forget about the things they've done. Like clockwork.

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Even if the whole ActiBlizz Shitshow wasn't happening right now, from what I hear Wow is in a rough state right now, and the game in general has a bunch of fomo, and cut story content that I couldn't see how a story focused player like me could get invested in it. Even though Eso didn't really land with me, at least all the old story seems to still be there.

Also fuck Bobby Kotick and Activision.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
FF14 doesn't allow UI mods, and keeps the number of skills given to the player relatively low so it fits within the UI confines of switching between different sets of DPAD+Face Button layouts with (I think) the shoulder buttons. My understanding is that trying to keep the endgame configuration manageable has left a bunch of the Jobs kind of uninteresting for leveling because you get stuff gated at too slow of a rate.

I never played WoW much when I gave it a shot but how many skills does WoW give you? Back when I played it, it didn't seem like it gave that many.

Status
Not open for further replies.