• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Two days after the company announced that it would ban Hong Kong-based professional Hearthstone player Chung Ng Wai, Mitsubishi Motors Taiwan ended its sponsorship of Blizzard's esports events, according to Erica Rasch, a spokesperson for Mitsubishi.

The company declined to comment further, and Blizzard did not respond to requests for comment. Speculation that the car company had pulled its dollars first began on Reddit when users saw that the Mitsubishi logo had seemed to disappear from the backdrop of an official tournament broadcast.
Coca-Cola and the computer manufacturer ASUS, which sponsor the collegiate Hearthstone league, did not respond to requests for comment. A spokeswoman for the livestreaming company Twitch said "nothing has changed" about the company's relationship to the collegiate league. Three collegiate players protested Blizzard's treatment of Chung during an official broadcast and were later suspended for their conduct.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Great, more companies should follow suit.

Free Hong Kong. Free XINJIANG.

This is also why social media protest puts some pressure and contributes to the discussion.

data

Oct 25, 2017
This is good.

I'd expect as much from Twitch considering the audience and trolls that they continue to cater to

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Going to be awkward when the tone of Blizzcon drastically changes after they get on stage and announce Diablo 4. Because as soon as that happens, most are going to move on from the Hong Kong stuff (as far as blizzard is concerned).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Friendly reminder to anybody going to BlizzCon to help protest and take a stand.

FREE HONG KONG.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good, fuck Blizzard.

FREE HONG KONG
tenor.gif

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Going to be awkward when the tone of Blizzcon drastically changes after they get on stage and announce Diablo 4. Because as soon as that happens, most are going to move on from the Hong Kong stuff (as far as blizzard is concerned).

Assuming the game actually looks good/what the fans want

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hope it doesn't get swept under the rug

"FREE HONG KONG!"
"He's Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2. Shut up."
"Yay! We love you Blizzard!"

We'll see. I know a lot of talented people are working on those games and they're probably just as upset with Blizzard as many of the rest of us.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good example of the kind of pressure point that is helpful when it comes to applying a public backlash to e-sports, and exactly the sort of action I was hoping for. Spectators have complained to sponsors over far less.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This happened pretty quickly after the ban decision. Only took them 2 days to decide to pull their sponsorship.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I remember this being mentioned on reddit a little while ago when the banner was no longer on the stream but there was no real confirmation. This is great news and I hope they lose more sponsors.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Mitsubishi have had a long-term relationship with Jackie Chan, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Oct 25, 2017
Mitsubishi have had a long-term relationship with Jackie Chan, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Unlikely, given that Jackie Chan has rather notoriously spoken up against the protests and is not well liked by HK democrats. It's about as relevant as Mitsubishi's history of arms manufacturing for Imperial Japan.

Also, this specific sponsor is Mitsubishi's Taiwan branch.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Unlikely, given that Jackie Chan has rather notoriously spoken up against the protests and is not well liked by HK democrats. It's about as relevant as Mitsubishi's history of arms manufacturing for Imperial Japan.

Has he? That's really disappointing to hear.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

At this point though, I'm not sure anything Blizzard can reasonably do will fix this for some. Best thing they can do is just let it ride out slowly over time.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Chan has been shilling for the Chinese government for a long ass time. He is pro-beijing and said a lot of dumb things in the past and present like "Hong Kong has too much freedom" and "there's no air pollution in Beijing".

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Jackie Chan has been shilling for the Chinese government for a long ass time. He is pro-beijing and said a lot of dumb things in the past and present like "Hong Kong has too much freedom" and "there's no air pollution in Beijing".
Fuck him then, fuck Blizzard and fuck China too.

Free Hong Kong.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017

Thats sad to hear though I wont be surprised if he is pressed by goverment. There was series of social media messages from Chinese members of Kpop groups who send it day apart from each other and wording sure was corporate, even from Hong Kong members.

Star power means very little when goverment can end you any time and thats not only career I'm talking about.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Unlikely, given that Jackie Chan has rather notoriously spoken up against the protests and is not well liked by HK democrats. It
I'm pretty sure Jackie Chan is very pro China's government.

Pretty Much all Mainland Actors are Pro-China (by themselves or get force)
They can't stay silent.